Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^'Sponsored by BAE Systems' hahaha

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Skoop

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 20, 2023, 02:08:36 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 20, 2023, 09:04:48 AMIs Polish hate greater for Russia or Germany?
I think the Polish presence in NATO would suggest that there's more distrust of Russia these days.  The hatred for Germany seems to be very factionalized. 

I've not followed Polish politics closely, but I've read that their relationship with Germany is particularly troubled at this point in time, with some of the country's right-leaning party leaders NOT being on the same page as the Polish President in terms of rhetoric or sentiment (he is, I think, trying to walk a little more in the middle there, but it's costing him politically--within his own base, as I recall).

I know about a dozen poles from DCS flying and Naval Actions groups, and the small window into their culture I've seen wouldn't suggest any hatred for Germans.  A few of them live in Germany for work and love it.  I would say the Poles have serious hate for Russia and don't be surprised if they join the war if Belorus joins Russia.  Any polish German negativity stems from the waffling and indecision for tough diplomatic decisions, it's like the Germans are scared of their own shadows these days.

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

FarAway Sooner

Thanks, Jarhead.  It was refreshing to hear somebody with some pretty strong opinions that didn't fall all on one side or the other.  I wish he'd injected a little opinion into a discussion about the strategic relevance of Bakhmut, but he seems like the kind of guy who'd be the first one to admit it's war and you just can't predict a lot of this stuff with any reliability.

Sir Slash

Agreed. Sounds like the experts who said the Russkies couldn't go on the offensive in Winter were wrong. The Ukrainians need a new version of Manstein's Backhand Blow.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 20, 2023, 10:34:52 PMThanks, Jarhead.  It was refreshing to hear somebody with some pretty strong opinions that didn't fall all on one side or the other.  I wish he'd injected a little opinion into a discussion about the strategic relevance of Bakhmut, but he seems like the kind of guy who'd be the first one to admit it's war and you just can't predict a lot of this stuff with any reliability.

There are other videos where he focuses on Bakhmut. I'll dig them up.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

FarAway Sooner

Interesting.  Everybody is talking the most about the AFVs, but I was impressed with the detailed list he gave of who's sending what.  I didn't realize that there are so many self-propelled artillery pieces in that new raft of equipment:  18 HIMARS, about 30 155mm SP guns and another 30 152M SP guns, along with 20+ heavy artillery pieces.  I guess they are getting almost 150 IFVs (a mix of US, German, and Swedish makes) and another 40 or 50 French anti-tank Recon vehicles (how do you call something a recon vehicle when it carries a 105mm cannon?).

Nobody's talking about how many rounds of artillery (or how many spare barrels for those artillery pieces) are flowing into the theater, but that seems awfully relevant.  My understanding is that, with the growing importance of artillery in this theater, the biggest challenge is reconnaissance (whether that comes in the form of throw-away recce drones, better EW , anti-battery radar, etc.).

Skoop

Supplying the artillery rounds is a big issue for both sides.

I've heard that bahkmut is an attempt to take pressure off the kremina Savatove front as that is Ukraines real focus.  The Russian army is getting hammered and still hasn't fully recovered from the fall offensive in Kharkov.  Since bahkmut solidar was all wagner, it was an attempt to take pressure, but at the price of giving prigojzin the press.

Russia capturing Soledar or bahkmut strategically does nothing if the Russians can't exploit it.  The Ukrainians will just move to the next defensive line. 

Kremina how ever, is far more strategic and could break the front open again like the Kharkov offensive.

In theory, it's like two boxers fighting where one leads with his right, the other leads with his left, who gets knocked down first.

FarAway Sooner

If you want a dissenting opinion on the strategic relevance of Bakhmut, I'd encourage you to watch the video that Jarhead posted above in response to my earlier post. 

The dude might or might not be 100% correct, but he has some interesting insights about the tactical relevance of that location.

JasonPratt

Re overgunned "recon": this goes back at least as far as the Soviets who in WW2 had developed some wonderful recon vehicles with (at the time) overpowered main cannons. There's a funny photo of a Nazi recon officer standing on top of a captured one, using it as a perch to look over a nearby rise -- what's funny is that he has a really shiny butt! That's because he started the war riding a horse in a saddle, so you can imagine how happy he was to graduate to a speedy all-terrain enclosed vehicle with a heck-off cannon to snipe enemy armor.  :RockOn:

As recon units, I would expect this means they are underarmored compared with other vehicles but also not intended to shuttle squads of troops into battle (or even around generally). So not an APC/IFV, and not a tank, and not direct-fire (turretless) mobile gun.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 22, 2023, 04:16:49 PMRe overgunned "recon": this goes back at least as far as the Soviets who in WW2 had developed some wonderful recon vehicles with (at the time) overpowered main cannons. There's a funny photo of a Nazi recon officer standing on top of a captured one, using it as a perch to look over a nearby rise -- what's funny is that he has a really shiny butt! That's because he started the war riding a horse in a saddle, so you can imagine how happy he was to graduate to a speedy all-terrain enclosed vehicle with a heck-off cannon to snipe enemy armor.  :RockOn:

As recon units, I would expect this means they are underarmored compared with other vehicles but also not intended to shuttle squads of troops into battle (or even around generally). So not an APC/IFV, and not a tank, and not direct-fire (turretless) mobile gun.

Yeah, it doesn't have passenger room.  The armor is about the thickness of an IFV, but they opted for a big-ass gun instead of a cabin.  I'm assuming it's intended as one part recon vehicle, one part tank destroyer, and one part direct-fire support for the infantry.  It's a bit like the battlecruiser of armored cars, I guess.

The 105mm medium-pressure cannon does NOT have the firepower of a tank killer like the high-velocity 120mm, but the HEAT round can take out MBTs at 1-2km, especially if shooting at side armor.  It feels more like an infantry support vehicle for mechanized infantry, but I suspect that anybody who knows more about the French army than I do would be able to say for sure.