Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

What we've seen reported recently are the static frontlines and the Russian assault tactics to slowly creep into Ukrainian positions.

Hence it was interesting to see this post detailing the new Tactical Assault Units, replacing the  Battalion tactical groups that seemed to be the previous basic unit of maneuvre. 

To be fair, it is for a different purpose, but that said can't but wonder if the heavy losses are playing a part here. Here's how an assault company comes together:

Your standard Russian BTG was a Tank Coy of 10 tanks + some 40 BMPs for infantry. Here we have three tanks, one per assault company, and the 40 something BMPs are down to 12, or four per assault company. Also, despite of the number of mobiks recruited, supposedly plenty of them, this does not seem to have that many feet on the ground either.

Original post and the full content via threadreader:

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1629722073487613953

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1629722073487613953.html

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

FarAway Sooner

Do we know for a fact that there are 3 companies for every Battalion under this new configuration? 

I think the best way to make an apples to apples comparison in how much things are changing is to look at the ratios.
They're still roughly 4-to-1 in BMPs to Tanks.  I wonder if the ratio of infantry-to-vehicles has changed? 

My sense is that initial impressions of the BTG were that it was too light on infantry, and that they weren't deployed aggressively enough to protect the vehicles in anything besides wide-open country.  It does make one wonder whether Russian casualties have been higher among infantry or vehicles? 

From the trench warfare nature of things, I'd assume it's infantry, but few things about the Russian conduct of the war in Ukraine have been predictable.

JasonPratt

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 27, 2023, 11:01:29 AMIt does make one wonder whether Russian casualties have been higher among infantry or vehicles? 

From the trench warfare nature of things, I'd assume it's infantry, but few things about the Russian conduct of the war in Ukraine have been predictable.

If the Uk DoD numbers for Russian casualties are anything like real, then of course in absolute numbers it's infantry, but proportionate to units deployed it's vehicles by a ridiculously wide margin.

That may be shifting, however, as the restructure of the Kampfgruppe (cough) suggests. Also, come to think of it -- and I realize this may be pure coincidence -- I've seen an increasing number of drone vs ork infantry videos in the past few weeks compared to drone vs ork vehicles.

The rationale reported for the restructure is very interesting: not due to lack of material or personnel, but due to problems in command and control!

So, open question: could this restructure of the BTGs improve C&C, at least theoretically (keeping in mind a probably endemic lack of officer skill and NCO training to help the officers)? If so, how?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crossroads

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 27, 2023, 11:01:29 AMDo we know for a fact that there are 3 companies for every Battalion under this new configuration? 

I think the best way to make an apples to apples comparison in how much things are changing is to look at the ratios.
They're still roughly 4-to-1 in BMPs to Tanks.  I wonder if the ratio of infantry-to-vehicles has changed? 

My sense is that initial impressions of the BTG were that it was too light on infantry, and that they weren't deployed aggressively enough to protect the vehicles in anything besides wide-open country.  It does make one wonder whether Russian casualties have been higher among infantry or vehicles? 

Apparently two to three companies per unit.

Quote3/16 The Assault Detachment is customizable to mission requirements and consists of 2-3 assault companies, a command unit, an artillery support unit, and other groups: recon, tank, EW, AD, fire support, UAV, Medevac, flamethrowing, assault engineering, reserve, equipment recovery

One would assume they'd push motorised BTGs should one of these assault units be able to breach the Ukrainian lines, but that's seemingly not happening. Trench warfare ala the Great War, daily advantaces measured in meters, not kilometres.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Sir Slash

'Assault Engineering'. Are those the guys that dig the graves or the trenches?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

while there's currently no hard evidence at hand there are a lot of rumors of some interesting things going on just north of Bahkmut.  possibly another russian encirclement by Ukraine forces.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 27, 2023, 11:50:01 AM'Assault Engineering'. Are those the guys that dig the graves or the trenches?

Depending on who they're used for, they could be the same thing.  :HideEyes:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2023, 12:42:21 PMwhile there's currently no hard evidence at hand there are a lot of rumors of some interesting things going on just north of Bahkmut.  possibly another russian encirclement by Ukraine forces.

Wouldn't surprise me.... if true I wonder how deep the maneuver will try to go? I am sure they'd want to capture a whole bunch of Russian artillery goodies.

Which brings me to the question of Russian POWs. I can't say I have read anything about where they go.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

ArizonaTank

The Russian's just rejected their "Chinese friend's" plan for peace. Although the Russians said they "paid a lot of attention" to the plan.

There seems to be a whole bunch of diplomatic mind games being played over China's 'maybe / maybe not' involvement.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-shoots-down-china-s-peace-plan-for-the-ukraine-war-as-beijing-becomes-more-entangled-in-the-conflict-a-year-into-the-fighting/ar-AA180Csl?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8d37c1ee71c74d2780e6d4ed9bbd0fdf&ei=15

The Chinese are sending conflicting signals.

Do they want to be peacemakers? Is Zelensky saying he is willing to meet with Xi to stoke the Chinese 'better angels'?

or, do the Chinese want to tie down western military power and send ammunition and drones to Russia?

or, are the Chinese split internally (hardliners vs. globalists) and pursuing both paths?

and for the Machiavellians out there...are the Chinese the reason that NATO keeps saying "no" to sending aircraft to Ukraine?

Stay tuned... :HideEyes:
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

Imagine Chinese peacekeepers in Ukraine...holy Larry Bond.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

this is what may be going on right now.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

Sir Slash

I heard the Ukrainians are blowing the dams around Bakhmut to flood the approaches and slow the Russian advance.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

they blew a damn on the north side of town.

heres another take on whats going on: