Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

Cyberdyne systems created Skynet and the original Terminator series, as revealed in T2 and also featured in a cut scene from the original Terminator.  I was making a sarcastic reference to the manufacturers of this product:

Sir Slash

Putin might be a Terminator come to think of it. Surgically implanted with Stalin's brain and sent ahead in time because he knew Khruschev would f--k it all up after he died. Anybody got the Conner's number?  :shocked:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Crossroads

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 01, 2023, 10:47:03 PMPutin might be a Terminator come to think of it. Surgically implanted with Stalin's brain and sent ahead in time because he knew Khruschev would f--k it all up after he died. Anybody got the Conner's number?  :shocked:

I think you're right. This reads directly like Stalin's playbook from 1930s as available in any history books. One would've hoped "never again", but here we go.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/02/kherson-torture-centres-were-planned-by-russian-state-say-lawyers
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

MengJiao

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 01, 2023, 09:37:21 PMYeah.  Zelensky has stated that his preconditions for peace involve the restoration of Ukrainian borders to their pre-2014 state.  So neither side is openly budging yet.  I think the first side to offer a concession will come off as the first one to blink.

While I don't blame the Ukrainians for wanting all their occupied territory back, they seem no more interested in compromising than the Putinist regime does at this point.

From the Guardian and CNN:
Blinken and Lavrov meet for the first time since Russia's invasion
The US secretary of state, Antony Blinken, and Russia's foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, spoke for less than 10 minutes on the margins of the G20 meeting in New Delhi today, according to a US state department official.

Blinken reiterated to Lavrov that Washington was prepared to support Ukraine's defence for as long as it takes, the official said, in what is believed to be their first one-on-one conversation in person since Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Blinken also called for Moscow to reverse its decision to suspend participation in the New Start nuclear treaty and to release detained US citizen, Paul Whelan.

The official said:

The secretary saw the purpose of this was to deliver these three direct messages, which we see as advancing our interests.

We always remain hopeful that the Russians will reverse their decision and be prepared to engage in a diplomatic process that can lead to a just and durable peace, but I wouldn't say that coming out of this encounter there was any expectation that things will change in the near term.

Lavrov did not mention the meeting during a news conference he gave after Thursday's G20 foreign ministers' meeting.

Russia's foreign ministry spokesperson, Maria Zakharova, confirmed the meeting took place, telling CNN:

Blinken asked for contact with Lavrov. On the go, as part of the second session of the [G20], Sergey Viktorovich [Lavrov] talked. There were no negotiations, meetings, etc.

So I think the diplomatic stew is starting to go into the diplomatic pot.  It may take decades to get brothy, but with the US putting things on the table and Belarus and China suggesting a ceasefire.  Stuff is coming up.  I think the Ukrainians would be wise to just hold the current lines or even pull back some to keep their casualties low while making it clear that they will be shooting a lot of stuff all over the place and getting ready to launch some big attacks if necessary to push the negotiations.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 02, 2023, 09:19:52 AMBuild the wall!
Build the Line!
Mannherheim
was just fine!  :ThumbsUp:

Dammit Jason, now I need to start a crowdsource to have some cheerleaders at the border crossings  :twirl:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

JasonPratt

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

More smoking accidents in the Crimea?  :shocked:   "Build the Wall and make Putin pay for it"!  :ThumbsUp:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Windigo

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 02, 2023, 12:40:33 PMMore smoking accidents in the Crimea?  :shocked:   "Build the Wall and make Putin pay for it"!  :ThumbsUp:

Humour aside, Russia presents quite a few challenges to the more civilized world. As a nation they are paranoid as fuck and they are run by a kleptocratic cabal who seemingly don't give a flying fuck about their people. And these bastards have nukes.... amoral, paranoid and without empathy - with big guns... jeebus!
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

ArizonaTank

Russian's fighting for Ukraine apparently crossed the border into Russia, caused havoc and took hostages in a Russian village. According to the news reports, nobody is denying it...so probably not a false flag op.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/what-is-the-russian-volunteer-corps-hostages-reportedly-taken-in-russia/ar-AA188DGW?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=a570feef4ade46cbbf3c536bfa4cc216&ei=15
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Pete Dero

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 02, 2023, 03:29:52 PMRussian's fighting for Ukraine apparently crossed the border into Russia, caused havoc and took hostages in a Russian village. According to the news reports, nobody is denying it...so probably not a false flag op.

Ukraine does deny they are behind the attack. 

Ukraine's command in the north on Feb. 23 had warned that Russia may be planning a false-flag operation in the area, "most likely ... to accuse the Ukrainian defenders of violating territorial integrity." (https://t.me/ok_pivnich1/1382)

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/russia-claims-ukraine-crossing-border-in-sabotage-attacks-kyiv-denies

Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak described the Russian reports as "a classic deliberate provocation."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russian-forces-are-fighting-ukrainian-sabotage-group-border-region-russian-news-2023-03-02/

Ukraine accused Russia of staging a false "provocation", but also appeared to imply some form of operation had indeed been carried out by Russian anti-government partisans.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/putin-summons-defense-officials-after-supposed-ukrainian-attack-in-russia

In a huge plot twist, however, a group of Russians led by a well-known Russian nationalist claimed they were behind the attack.

The story of an attack by "Ukrainian saboteurs" is "all a lie by Kremlin propagandists," the group said on Telegram.

"We're not at war with civilians. We don't kill those who are unarmed," a man said in a video, purportedly from the scene in Bryansk, shared by the Russian Volunteer Corps.

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1631241403920527361

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.