Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

DetCord

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 17, 2023, 06:45:19 AM
Quote from: DetCord on March 17, 2023, 12:27:23 AMMe and the boys got back in November. Some of us that is.

Welcome home, DetCord. I'm sorry for your losses. As you very well know, it is the ugly universal truth of war.  When you feel up to it and ready, I encourage you to share your experiences with the group. Your direct, first hand experience will be very valuable for us all.

I'm a full-blown alcoholic now. Like no shit, the things I saw in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, the African Horn and elsewhere simply pale in comparison. I drink myself to blackout status nearly every night. Here I was thinking that my Ranger and Sapper and prior-service Marine self was hardcore enough to run the gauntlet. I'm not. Not even remotely. I've always considered myself a war-fighter, it's all I've ever known. But the things I saw and experienced and did over there have utterly ruined me.

The Russians are fuckin' monsters. Like actual evil beasts. We came across a girls school in northern UA where Russian troops had engaged in mass-rape of a whole slew of (9-13) little girls. They had stripped them naked, bound their hands, blindfolded them, raped them, killed them and then stacked them up like cord-wood. Dozens of little girls. Dozens of them. The boys they took elsewhere and shoved barbed-wire encased pipes up their asses. This is apparently a Russian pastime.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 17, 2023, 01:07:08 PM
Quote from: Groggy on March 17, 2023, 11:37:43 AM
Quote from: DetCord on March 17, 2023, 12:27:23 AMMe and the boys got back in November. Some of us that is.

Welcome home. Thank you for helping defend liberal democracy against authoritarianism. Big respect.
Do you have any plans to write about your experiences in Ukraine?

Is Ukraine a "liberal democracy"? Asking for a friend.  :juggler:

Not even remotely.

Crossroads

Quote from: DetCord on April 30, 2023, 12:47:45 AMI'm a full-blown alcoholic now. Like no shit, the things I saw in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, the African Horn and elsewhere simply pale in comparison. I drink myself to blackout status nearly every night. Here I was thinking that my Ranger and Sapper and prior-service Marine self was hardcore enough to run the gauntlet. I'm not. Not even remotely. I've always considered myself a war-fighter, it's all I've ever known. But the things I saw and experienced and did over there have utterly ruined me.

I am well into my fifties, we had our friend's son enlisting to UA, he was at Kharkiv front, got back a few months ago. I won't go into any details.

He's trying to get back into his life before, he's having professional help, he's seeing his peers, he's active in an informal vet's grouping, to help others who've come back.

I hope you don't have to do that alone, hopefully there's people you can talk to, to receive help, and maybe, one day, to help others.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

FarAway Sooner

Powerful testimony, DetCord.  Thanks for having the courage to share those feelings here.  I'll refrain from offering up any cliches here for fear of presuming on the circumstances, but I'm sure I don't just speak for myself when I say that you are in our thoughts.

SirAndrewD

I don't know what to say Detcord.  I wish I was surprised.  One thing about studying history, I expect the worse from humans. I've had friends and talked to many that are where you are, mostly from Vietnam but even a few from the Holocaust. 

Stay strong.  We're all Grogs, we're here for you even if, in my case, I can only empathize.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Skoop

That's heavy detcord, your post kind of rocked me, had to read it several times.  Just so heavy to hear that from a guy with your experience.

Maximum respect for going to Ukraine, we're all pulling for you to overcome the darkness that followed you home. 

Groggy

''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

GDS_Starfury

well we are a support system.
so what can we do?

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

Gusington

Last two posts are incredible.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

War is grim business.  The videos remind us of that in no uncertain terms.

It's also not lost on me that it's raining in both film segments.  It looks like the rasputitsa might be lasting a few weeks longer.