Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DetCord on May 17, 2023, 11:17:33 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 16, 2023, 12:50:56 AMhows it going

Livin'.

Learned that one of the Bn's we were attached to for a short while was nearly and completely obliterated. 70%+ causality ratio for them. No idea what that ratio entails with regards to WIA and KIA, though its probably evenly matched. A lot of UKR units are being completely destroyed and reformed with the greenest of green conscripts, but at least they're making an effort to delineate experienced NCO's and officers among them.   

Amazing...from the mainstream news and constant feed of little twitter videos and links in this thread, you'd think Ukraine was on the verge of marching victoriously into Moscow.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

I certainly understand the importance of keeping morale up -- I've done my share of posting vids and articles along that line, too -- but reality checks are also helpful and morally justified. And hard to come by in this war, despite modern technology.

We can only make use of what we get, so thanks for sharing any hard news, Det, especially where the news is tragic for you.

As I pray every day, in one way or another, today for the souls of both the survivors and the departed, in honor of the sacrifices they have made: may God Who shares in all our suffering, even to the death, be with them, to strengthen them and those who love them with life beyond our lives, and bring us all home in the end, so that in a day to come we may all live together in peace -- however long that takes, even into the eons of the eons, reconciling us all with each other, whether in the heavens or in the earth, saving us with God's own life.

Another day of pain in our souls and our bodies right now, in which we also grievously share in various ways -- another day sooner to come. Out of our sins against each other, and into (and for and by) the Truth and the Life, may we all be saved, with no one left behind. God help us to see and to do our duty today, as small or as great as that may be, giving our own lives, to and for others, as God gives to us all. Freely given, we have received; help us be giving, freely given: loving our enemies, too, as much as we can, beyond what we naturally can, even if we must fight them for now -- may we be strengthened with chivalrous honor, for the sake of those we love, for those who love us, too, and even for our enemies, today and in the day to come, for as long as it is called Today!

Det, if you have a war charity you particularly like, let us know how we can give or otherwise work (since work is also prayer! -- including for people who cannot pray, for any of various reasons.)

And thank you for your own service.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, in some war news today: apparently a key logistic rail line in the Crimea is tired of the war!

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/05/18/7402716/

While it could be sabotage, Andrii Yusov, representative of the Defense Intelligence of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, chalks it up publicly to the rail line simply being worn out with heavy usage beyond its weight limit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-s-intelligence-reacts-to-railway-explosion-in-crimea-railway-lines-got-tired/ar-AA1blO4e?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=6dc4b856798140ac9ad1038f2779137e&ei=58

This reminds me that I've heard different things about the rail line of the Kersh bridge having been put back in action pretty quickly: yes, technically true, but not enough to rail war logistics across to the front line. Any updates or clarifications on that?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

Nazi Drug-Addiction appears to be spreading.   :stormtrooper2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 18, 2023, 09:47:59 AMNazi Drug-Addiction appears to be spreading.   :stormtrooper2:

and an example would be........
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 18, 2023, 06:34:43 AMAmazing...from the mainstream news and constant feed of little twitter videos and links in this thread, you'd think Ukraine was on the verge of marching victoriously into Moscow.

Ukraine can both be winning and suffering casualties at the same time.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Windigo

Quote from: DetCord on May 17, 2023, 11:17:33 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 16, 2023, 12:50:56 AMhows it going

Livin'.

Learned that one of the Bn's we were attached to for a short while was nearly and completely obliterated. 70%+ causality ratio for them. No idea what that ratio entails with regards to WIA and KIA, though its probably evenly matched. A lot of UKR units are being completely destroyed and reformed with the greenest of green conscripts, but at least they're making an effort to delineate experienced NCO's and officers among them.   

Ahhh the army's reward for being good at your job and surviving - throw you back into the suck again, but with greener troops under your command. I want to have a drink just thinking about it.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

FarAway Sooner

Det, what they all said.  I'd like to echo Jason's ask for any charities recommendations you might have, whether they benefit Ukrainian charities, US-based veterans charities, or both.

FarAway Sooner

We all know about "the fog of war". 

But there also seems to be "a fog of Russian government", where it's hard to say anything at all conclusive about what anything we hear or see from any member of the Russian government means. 

Last but not least, these days we seem to have "a fog of Internet news", where portal site algorithms have gone berserk trying to put us in Echo Chambers where we only hear the viewpoints we already clicked on in the last 3 months, in an effort to sell us more advertising.

Put these all together, and I'm dealing with "the fog of war involving Russian government via Internet news".  I assume something that I've read is true and accurate, but I'm not sure what.

GDS_Starfury

my twitter feed for the last 6 months has been mostly pro russian bs. groups or people that I followed daily now have be directly searched for.  good think elon is neutral and non biased.   :rolleyes:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 18, 2023, 02:43:59 PMmy twitter feed for the last 6 months has been mostly pro russian bs. groups or people that I followed daily now have be directly searched for.  good think elon is neutral and non biased.   :rolleyes:

Yeah. For shame. The audacity to not censor opinions you may disagree with.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

JasonPratt

I think Star's complaint was that Twitter has downgeared groups and people on the pro-Uk side which used to show up regularly, too, but which he now has to actively search for.

Meanwhile:

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 18, 2023, 12:33:44 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on May 18, 2023, 09:47:59 AMNazi Drug-Addiction appears to be spreading.   :stormtrooper2:

and an example would be........

My educated guess would be that Slash means the train in Crimea running off the rails with some kind of attendant explosion: the joke would be that the 'Nazi Drug Addiction' supposedly pandemic in Ukraine, according to Russian propaganda, has spread into formerly-Ukrainian-Crimea, causing the derail.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me; if I'm wrong, I still appreciated what I thought was the joke!  :cheerswine:

Sir Slash

Exactly. Maybe I should've referenced, 'careless smoking' to make it plainer for Star. The more pertinent question is, was the train blown-up by Ukrainian Commando types or locals sick of the Big Bear sitting on their chests? I'm hoping commandos would've done a more through job of it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Groggy

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 18, 2023, 02:43:59 PMmy twitter feed for the last 6 months has been mostly pro russian bs. groups or people that I followed daily now have be directly searched for.  good think elon is neutral and non biased.   :rolleyes:

Seriously. Twitter is a shithole now. I mean just last month Medvedev posted a tweet titled "WHY WILL UKRAINE DISAPPEAR? BECAUSE NOBODY NEEDS IT." And Elon allowed him to do it.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman