Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

To be sure, Russian liberalism had a renaissance of sorts from 1995-2010 or so.  But I'm not sure that Russia tackled the internal cultural problems (some of which have been discussed here) that ultimately led us to where we are today. 

The US and Western Europe seemed to be operating under the premise that economic growth and the creation of an economic middle class would transform Russia into a liberal democratic state.  While that served their own short-sighted interests very well, it obviously didn't solve the internal problems in Russia, and Russian authoritarianism seems to be back to where it was post-1945.

I think there was a missed opportunity there, as you suggest, but threading that needle would have taken more than just a warmer response to Putin's overtures in his first 5-10 years in power.

JasonPratt

I don't think Putin and his regime (overall) ever had any intention of tackling the internal cultural problems that ultimately etc. In some cases they just didn't care; in other cases they regarded the problems as a feature, not a bug!

The remaining problems they either cared about but couldn't do much with (such as getting the Siberian oil back online, which took almost up to the start of this war), or thought would be useful in getting aid from the West, either by addressing them (to show evidence they were doing something the Western nations culturally cared about) or not addressing them (and asking the West for help in addressing them, which could be spun in various ways to their socio-political and maybe personal advantages).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crossroads

Meanwhile, in Ukrain Russia: a border raid by Russian Volunteer Corps to Belgorod. Apparently no or little border guards from Russia there, as taking the war to Russia proper seems to be out of bounds.

From the parody account:

https://twitter.com/Sputnik_Not/status/1660624075008385030

Not sure if parody too, would be a golden press statement if true (referring to Donbass in 2014 with strong refusal of any Russian presence there):

https://twitter.com/Sputnik_Not/status/1660599662007537665

Not sure what's actually happening, let us wait and see. A major embarrasment for Russia in the info-space, and if they would need to move actual troops there, an opportunity for UAF somewhere else?

One more serious tweet to describe the situation:

QuoteToday's Free russia incursion into Belgorod is creating a magnificent dilemma for the russians:

putin can either move 50,000+ troops from southern Ukraine to belgorod, bryansk, and kursk oblasts to secure the 700+ km border with Ukraine, which would mean that russia has even
1/2
less troops to withstand the coming Ukrainian offensive, or putin can leave the 50,000 troops in southern Ukraine and lose village after village, town after town to the Free russia legion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2/2

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1660634386042159108
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

@Warmonitor3 with a map from the area:

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1660609384185995264

edit: Prokhorovka is some 20 miles further northeast that road. A greatest tank battle brewing?

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Gusington

Ukrainian attack helicopters attacking Belgorod or Russian?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2023, 09:27:43 AMUkrainian attack helicopters attacking Belgorod or Russian?

Russian volunteers under Ukrainian army are, so a land operation  :shocked:

FarAway Sooner

If the Ukrainians start hiring Syrian mercenaries to launch attacks into Russian territory, could we convince Putin to go after the Assad regime?

Sir Slash

More of Putin's enemy Drug-Addict Nazis' attacking him? Damn, that movement's really starting to spread.  :huh:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Crossroads on May 22, 2023, 09:15:52 AMMeanwhile, in Ukrain Russia: a border raid by Russian Volunteer Corps to Belgorod. Apparently no or little border guards from Russia there, as taking the war to Russia proper seems to be out of bounds.

From the parody account:

Not sure what's actually happening, let us wait and see. A major embarrasment for Russia in the info-space, and if they would need to move actual troops there, an opportunity for UAF somewhere else?

One more serious tweet to describe the situation:

It does seem like a good distraction to draw-off Russian attention from elsewhere.

Time will tell...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 22, 2023, 01:11:50 PMIt does seem like a good distraction to draw-off Russian attention from elsewhere.

Time will tell...

Seems to be the intent, but the problem here is more political than tactical. 

How are NATO countries that have waffled a bit going to respond to this?  Something immediately gets lost on Ukraine's status as the victim when they begin operating on undisputed Russian territory. 

It was like the damage Lee's army took when he crossed into Maryland in 1862.  He understood the significance of winning a victory on northern soil but his army hemorrhaged morale and men just from the idea that they were no longer fighting a purely defensive war.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the wrong play, but it's surely a dangerous one when your national survival heavily depends on the support of western partners that are already hesitant to provoke Russia further.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

russians fighting for Ukraine invade russia.....  spicy   :ROFL:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gusington

^I like it, but if Russia dissolves into 1000 pieces no one can predict how that will end  :embarrassed:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Zeihan has some good points this time -- and some really dark ones. (If I heard about Russians kidnapping and shuffle exporting Ukrainian 3-year-olds to patch their own demographic catastrophe, especially in Siberia, I'd somehow forgotten about it...?!)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury