Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Who's in the mood for a fresh rewatch of Threads (1984)?   :undecided:   :HideEyes:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on June 23, 2023, 07:51:19 PMWho's in the mood for a fresh rewatch of Threads (1984)?   :undecided:   :HideEyes:

Ugh. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

If Wagner is truly trying to march to Moscow, the Russian MOD doesn't have a whole lot available to throw in his way. 

However, any major column moving up a single highway in unfriendly territory is going to be extremely vulnerable to air strikes.  I can't imagine Wagner will be able to make the entire 12-16 hour trip unmolested. 

Prigozhin's making all kinds of statements right now rapid fire, saying they're on the move and they've already shot down helicopters, but there's still no real confirmation beyond a couple of videos.

I'm not entirely sure how sane Prigozhin actually is so I'm taking a lot of this with a grain of salt tonight.  There's a chance this could be really happening, and an equal chance that this could be the ravings of an unhinged lunatic.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

well, here's hoping we make it to Monday!   :Party:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 23, 2023, 08:08:29 PMwell, here's hoping we make it to Monday!  :Party:

*serious fucking eyeroll*
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

SirAndrewD

Lots of videos now coming out after dawn.  It looks increasingly like Wagner has taken Rostov without a fight.

Significant numbers of Mercs seen on the street.  For Wagner to have been able to pull this off this swiftly in this area they likely had to be planning this for days if not longer. 

Support for that seems to be that Wagner mercs were calling home all week telling family to watch the news closely.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

There was a statement from Prigozhin specifically calling out Shoigou and another official whose name I don't have offhand.  This is pure layman speculation, but I'm guessing they didn't mention Putin in a bid to win over fence-sitters who don't want to cross Putin directly but recognize the obvious problem in the military, and are willing to go for "hang Shoigou and his lackeys" and once that's done, the goal posts move toward "hang Putin" which will then suddenly seem much more reasonable and achievable without fear of reprisal.

All joking aside from previous posts I am completely terrified at the idea of the head of Wagner having access to the Russian nuclear arsenal.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on June 23, 2023, 09:25:38 PMThere was a statement from Prigozhin specifically calling out Shoigou and another official whose name I don't have offhand.  This is pure layman speculation, but I'm guessing they didn't mention Putin in a bid to win over fence-sitters who don't want to cross Putin directly

Prigozhin mentioned he was doing this to save Putin from his lying advisers.  He's going to play the game of making his power play, taking control and then keeping Putin on as a figurehead under house arrest. 

And you're right to be concerned about him being in control of the arsenal.  He's making it clear that after he "frees" Putin that he'll still prosecute the war in Ukraine, but do it his way.  No idea what that means but I'd wager not good.

JasonPratt

Regular Russian troops have been turning upon each other, apparently: that's a straight civil war, not a coup. A particular jet known to be used by high-ranking Kremlinites including Putin, is heading for Belarus. (I'm catching up on news, this was about three hours ago.)

I've also seen information, possibly only rumor, that a jet belonging to the Lukshenko family has left Belarus and reached Turkey. Either of those reports might be false, hard to tell right now, no official reports (and even official reports lie quite a bit in this fight.) That said, Putin (who hasn't shown up since the coup/cw started) might be flying to take over Belarus with Lushenko getting the hell out of the way while the getting is still good.

Meanwhile, Russia's defense ministry claims Ukraine has opened up a full offensive along the front line. Time will tell on that, I suppose...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

CNN reporting that a speech from Putin is on the way. (Where from? Don't know yet. Maybe not from Belarus? ;) )

Live-feed, possibly to be archived later.

Update, started at 2am CST. No subtitles, all Russian.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crossroads

In his unusually short speech Putin sided with Shoigu and Gerasimov, vowing to end this "stab in the back".

Bulldogs and carpets. Prigozhin, your move. From what I know his troops are fiercely loyal to him.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Windigo on June 23, 2023, 09:19:14 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 23, 2023, 08:08:29 PMwell, here's hoping we make it to Monday!  :Party:

*serious fucking eyeroll*

once in a while I'm allowed to be pessimistic

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury