Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 13, 2023, 11:16:53 PMJust to be clear, the impacts from detonating one isolated warhead would have horrific human costs, but the fatality rate outside a couple mile radius would be modest.  Cancer rates would soar for the next 30 years, but most of the nuclear destruction we learned about 40 or 50 years ago was based on MIRV warheads sprinkling nuclear fireballs in a broad radius around a central target.

I think the Eastern European scenario is more likely.  Last I heard, if somebody decides to detonate a nuke in New York City, it'll likely be done via a container ship pulling into port.  I'm sure that container security has improved in the last 20 years, but I'm sure it's not yet perfect.

If people on the board are interested, I can run a couple of simulations in Matrix Games' "Nuclear War Simulator" and post the results here.  Let me know what scenarios you are interested in.  I think probably the worst case would be a 1 kT W54 at 40' in the air, but I'm willing to run others.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

^Would that include non-state actors like lunatics and nutjobs and Chechens?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Sure, he's thinking a backpack weapon, where someone managed to get a few floors up and jumped off a roof or whatever.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Quote from: Gusington on July 14, 2023, 11:00:34 AM^Would that include non-state actors like lunatics and nutjobs and Chechens?
The 1 kT W54 is the largest of the backpack nuclear weapons (as far as I know), and the 40' height is based on what an airburst using the weapon on a Davy Crockett missile, so I assume that is the optimal airburst height, although it would be easy enough to change the height.   Let me know if you want me to run the simulation(s) and what warhead/height/location you want them run at. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Tripoli

Quote from: Gusington on July 14, 2023, 11:27:54 AMI do, and I don't  :HideEyes:

The "Nuclear War Simulator" is a very sobering program.  It isn't particularly fun to use, but it gives data that is important to think about. I'll do a run using the numbers I suggested, but use a town no one has ever heard of: Waldo, Florida.  That might make it a little less personal.

Gusington

^Right next door to Star. Potentially.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Quote from: Gusington on July 14, 2023, 11:36:04 AM^Right next door to Star. Potentially.
Nah, it's between Gainesville and Orange Park.  A million miles from Star   

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Did someone ask about an explosion at a Russian-controlled nuclear power plant?

How about one in the Urals?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/novouralsk-nuclear-plant-blast-what-we-know-as-russians-rushed-to-hospital/ar-AA1dRZBa?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=3f7bd0891d5649d09bb77c2271615da6&ei=39

Don't worry, this is only Russian competence, nothing to do with the war. Probably.

.......I'll be posting a new video to the feel good thread momentarily, just in case.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

About the close to Star thang.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd