Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 14, 2023, 11:15:49 AMSure, he's thinking a backpack weapon, where someone managed to get a few floors up and jumped off a roof or whatever.

That's the immediate scenario we were talking about as specifically relates to Wagner getting their hands on nukes.  But if a non-state actor can get their hands on a nuke, my bet is that a safer/more effective deployment strategy would be to employ a larger warhead in a freight container on a ship docked at the Port of NY & NJ.  Only half the fireball is over water, but I think there's lower risk of detection and good feasibility of getting a larger warhead close to an urban center.

I studied this stuff in a fair amount of detail back in the years right after 9/11, so my info on countermeasures to this strategy is badly out of date.  It's all pretty grim stuff.

Quote from: Tripoli on July 14, 2023, 11:34:34 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 14, 2023, 11:27:54 AMI do, and I don't  :HideEyes:
I'll do a run using the numbers I suggested, but use a town no one has ever heard of: Waldo, Florida.  That might make it a little less personal.

Tripoli, admit it.  You just chose this town so somebody would have ask, "Where's Waldo?"

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on July 14, 2023, 11:00:34 AM^Would that include non-state actors like lunatics and nutjobs and Chechens?

shhhhhh, don't mention the Chechens.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Windigo

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 14, 2023, 02:32:55 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 14, 2023, 11:15:49 AMSure, he's thinking a backpack weapon, where someone managed to get a few floors up and jumped off a roof or whatever.

That's the immediate scenario we were talking about as specifically relates to Wagner getting their hands on nukes.  But if a non-state actor can get their hands on a nuke, my bet is that a safer/more effective deployment strategy would be to employ a larger warhead in a freight container on a ship docked at the Port of NY & NJ.  Only half the fireball is over water, but I think there's lower risk of detection and good feasibility of getting a larger warhead close to an urban center.

I studied this stuff in a fair amount of detail back in the years right after 9/11, so my info on countermeasures to this strategy is badly out of date.  It's all pretty grim stuff.

Quote from: Tripoli on July 14, 2023, 11:34:34 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 14, 2023, 11:27:54 AMI do, and I don't  :HideEyes:
I'll do a run using the numbers I suggested, but use a town no one has ever heard of: Waldo, Florida.  That might make it a little less personal.

Tripoli, admit it.  You just chose this town so somebody would have ask, "Where's Waldo?"

You guys are so inward looking. I genuinely think the risk is in Europe, where the crazies have centuries of being pissed off at each other to grind it into a justification to nuke their own continent.
At the moment I think they hate each other more than they do those bastards across the pond.

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

^I said 'eastern Europe' above.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Windigo on July 14, 2023, 02:50:16 PMYou guys are so inward looking. I genuinely think the risk is in Europe, where the crazies have centuries of being pissed off at each other to grind it into a justification to nuke their own continent.
At the moment I think they hate each other more than they do those bastards across the pond.

Currently the most discussed and talked about target of a nuclear weapon by the Russians who like to fantasize or threaten such things is London. 

The super nationalists truly believe that the US is just a puppet of an Anglo/Jewish cabal that operates out of there.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

we even get decoder rings and shit  :ninjameditate:

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Sir Andrew beat me to the space lasers.

Gus beat me to the Jewish Missile.

Star beat me to the Jewish Ninjas. (Perhaps relatedly, I'll be going to see MI:7 tomorrow night, and I'm looking forward to hearing new variations on the Mossad's unofficial theme and plot music!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Question. Do the Nuclear Backpacks come in different colors or are they all just black? Asking for a friend.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Uberhaus

If they came in pink, one would have something to wear to the Barbenheimer premier.

Crossroads

Quote from: Windigo on July 14, 2023, 02:50:16 PMI genuinely think the risk is in Europe, where the crazies have centuries of being pissed off at each other to grind it into a justification to nuke their own continent.

I wish you all would stop spreading these unfortunate stereotypes around this fine forum. So what my Danish friend calls Scania "the occupied territory", you have to remember it happened just a while ago, in early March.

Early March, 1658, to be precise. Understandably still a festering wound, just give a bit more time to heal. Also, I am quite sure Danes don't have nukes, so all good in that front as well  :ThumbsUp:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Uberhaus

An assessment of the threat of Wagner acquiring tactical nuclear weapons from our friends at the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists.  https://thebulletin.org/2023/06/what-would-happen-if-a-military-group-took-over-russias-nuclear-arsenal/
QuoteIf a mercenary group were able to seize power and gain control over some of Russian nuclear weapons, "the world [would] find itself in uncharted territory," Alexander Vershbow, a former NATO deputy secretary general and US ambassador to Russia, told the Bulletin. "It is doubtful that the ousted Putin regime would be able to withhold access to nuclear codes for very long, if at all."

Other experts shared this concern. "Any civil instability within a nuclear state raises fears over command and control of its nuclear weapons," Mariana Budjeryn, a senior research associate with the Project on Managing the Atom at Harvard University, told the Bulletin.

However,(emphases in bold are my doing): 
QuoteAn attacking force, especially a group as heavily armed as the Wagner Group, might be able to take possession of some warheads at such a facility. But that would not mean the attackers could quickly arm or use those warheads, all experts agreed.

For one thing, a group seizing power would not necessarily gain physical control of complete nuclear weapons. "Most, if not all, stored Russian tactical nuclear warheads are not fully assembled," Pifer said. Matej Rafael Risko, a research fellow at the Institute of International Studies in Prague, commented on Twitter that warheads for the OTR-21 Tochka, a Soviet-era mobile short-range ballistic missile launch system now being replaced by the somewhat longer-range Iskander missile system, "are stored in an incomplete assembly, the so-called readiness stage."
"This means that the neutron tubes are not installed, the MED electro-detonators are not connected, and the electrical system is not connected to power sources," Risko added.

Even if rebels gained control of all the physical components of a nuclear weapon and assembled it, they could not necessarily use it. For a nuclear warhead to be used, it would have to go through a complex set of deployment procedures; among other things, a rogue group would need to mate a warhead with the right delivery system. In a blog post, Pavel Podvig, director of the Russian Nuclear Forces Project, explained that Russian nuclear weapons are stored separately from their delivery vehicles. He estimates that Russia has not only 12 large national-level storage sites but also about 35 base-level storage facilities. In some cases, a base-level storage facility can contain weapons that are assigned to delivery systems collocated at that same base. But in any case, mating a nuclear warhead to its delivery system is a task of extreme complexity, which an invading military group would most likely not be able to accomplish without the active—or forced—cooperation of 12 GUMO personnel.
Then there is the question of activation codes.

Russian non-strategic nuclear warheads are locked via permissive action links (also known as "PALs") that require codes to unlock. (Russian strategic nuclear weapons use other ways to prevent unauthorized and unintended use.) PAL codes were developed in the 1960s to guard against unauthorized use of a non-strategic nuclear weapon. "But PAL locks are like safe locks—with enough effort they could be broken," Budjeryn explains. Moreover, experts are uncertain whether PAL codes are released by the central command or kept on base, as in the United States—a possibly highly consequential detail. "It would be very poor security indeed if PALs were just kept on base," Budjeryn told me. "At least part of the code must be with the national command authority that would release them when they authorize the use."

So, what interest would a military group like Wagner have in seizing a tactical nuclear weapon, if it couldn't be used? "The mutineers could have used the captured weapons as political leverage in the short term," said Budjeryn. Then, she added, "with sufficient expertise and time, PALs could potentially be hacked."

GDS_Starfury

anyway, back to the war thats actually happening.
link works, covers some trench clearing.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1680177497332240386