Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Maybe in its own way even more revolutionary than the first combat aircraft in WW1! -- due to actual and potential lethality + flexibility.

Once the sun EMPs the planet, though, we'll be back to cavalry, swords, pikes, and shot. Like the previously infamous Crimean War!  :twirl:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Not me. I could NEVER figure-out how far, 'Half-a-League' is.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

its 50% of a league.   :cool:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

FarAway Sooner

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 01, 2023, 10:07:12 AMMaybe in its own way even more revolutionary than the first combat aircraft in WW1! -- due to actual and potential lethality + flexibility.

Once the sun EMPs the planet, though, we'll be back to cavalry, swords, pikes, and shot. Like the previously infamous Crimean War!  :twirl:

I am well prepared for such an eventuality.

As to the war at hand, good news is that geolocated footage has now confirmed the UAF has advanced to the outskirts of Verbove, as I'd heard and suspected two days ago.

They have done an operational pause, which I speculate with some info is at this point them deciding if they should bring the heavy brigades up now, or continue trying pin the increasingly poorly supplied Russians in Robotyne with a hook around the southwest, which would widen the breach and potentially give them better fire control of the Verbove valley with control of the heights on the western reach. 

Either way, the attacks on logistics are telling as they're making sure that the increasingly strung out Russian forces in the valley and heights are stuck in their trenches with limited supply.  The Russians switch to static vs. active defense and the inflexibility of Russian forces to respond on the operational level are doing them no favors right now.  They're essentially just waiting to be overrun.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 01, 2023, 07:25:36 AMIf I remember an article posted here some months ago correctly, Russia has a very stand-offish "control" in the air, but still way ahead of what the Uks can currently do. Which is why they're desperate for better fighter platforms.

Yeah, I think it's really "mutual denial of air superiority" due to the lethality of anti-aircraft platforms in theater, with the Russians having a more decisive denial of air superiority than the Ukrainians (due in part to their fighters' ability to shoot down Ukrainian planes from a long ways off).  Both sides get shots in occasionally (the Russians get more), but they're typically using stand-off munitions with high cost and/or limited accuracy.

QuoteWorth remembering that our epic destruction of a Wagner-flushed BTG back during the Syrian Operation, was a very fully combined arms exercise, Apaches included.

I think somebody here posted a very detailed review of that combat a few months ago.  As I recall, the Wagner group's heavy units weren't obliterated by the airborne forces until AFTER the Russians (who had been denying that they had troops on the ground there) provided reassurance that Russian anti-air assets would not be used. 

Those airborne units were really the modern cavalry charging to the rescue of the heavily outgunned US forces, but they were only released after it was confirmed that nobody would shoot their horses.

I'm not dissing on choppers.  I think they've just proven themselves less useful when the enemy has an abundance of unsuppressed SAMs.

Windigo

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 01, 2023, 12:53:33 PMI am well prepared for such an eventuality.

As to the war at hand, good news is that geolocated footage has now confirmed the UAF has advanced to the outskirts of Verbove, as I'd heard and suspected two days ago.

They have done an operational pause, which I speculate with some info is at this point them deciding if they should bring the heavy brigades up now, or continue trying pin the increasingly poorly supplied Russians in Robotyne with a hook around the southwest, which would widen the breach and potentially give them better fire control of the Verbove valley with control of the heights on the western reach. 

Either way, the attacks on logistics are telling as they're making sure that the increasingly strung out Russian forces in the valley and heights are stuck in their trenches with limited supply.  The Russians switch to static vs. active defense and the inflexibility of Russian forces to respond on the operational level are doing them no favors right now.  They're essentially just waiting to be overrun.

On one hand the answer is always going to be the one that favours artillery deployment and effectiveness. On the other hand, doing anything that starves the ruskkies logistics is good too.

I muse what Russia's move is if their land supply routes are totally severed. I anticipate they'll just let them starve.... but what would/could they do in response to this?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Con

Quote from: Windigo on August 01, 2023, 04:21:55 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 01, 2023, 12:53:33 PMI am well prepared for such an eventuality.

On one hand the answer is always going to be the one that favours artillery deployment and effectiveness. On the other hand, doing anything that starves the ruskkies logistics is good too.

I muse what Russia's move is if their land supply routes are totally severed. I anticipate they'll just let them starve.... but what would/could they do in response to this?
Fix Bayonets

Uberhaus

Gusington

^If it's Russia it will be both mass surrender and escalate.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on August 01, 2023, 05:40:22 PM^If it's Russia it will be both mass surrender and escalate.

It'll be time to call these guys...

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^Damn son...it's been a while since anyone whipped out the October Guard. Well done  :ThumbsUp:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 01, 2023, 06:13:42 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 01, 2023, 05:40:22 PM^If it's Russia it will be both mass surrender and escalate.

It'll be time to call these guys...

Didn't they just capture the weather dominator from Cobra?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Uberhaus on August 01, 2023, 06:34:44 PMDidn't they just capture the weather dominator from Cobra?

Probably.  We took out Cobra in the early 00's.