Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uberhaus

Well, the guy in the foreground doesn't need the jetpack anymore, but I can think of someone who does need such a hand-me down.

FarAway Sooner

Haven't you guys seen the latest?  Cobra Commander got away (AGAIN) and most of the Joes were killed.  They even got Channing Tatum.  Or Tatum Channing.  Or whoever that guy was who played Duke.

It's all on The Rock's shoulders now.  At least Lady Jaye is still alive and kicking.

Uberhaus

I couldn't watch anymore after CovergirlTM bought the farm.

Gusington

GI Joe deserves its own thread...which should stop around 1989  :Nerd:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Heck no, Larry Hama recovered the series and kicked ass with it some years ago, maybe under IDW (I don't recall for sure, and I'm too lazy to look). It was VERY well received.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if Russia might not let its leftovers in Crimea starve/surrender instead of withdrawal, for political sympathy points (as they see it), at least internally. They have odd ways of thinking global strategy. But maybe more importantly, their logistics in-line are so screwed over that they might actually be BETTER off with fewer troops (especially exhausted ones) to support!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Yeah, actually I've been plotting that way for more than a year now.  :cool: --if you're talking about them needing to keep troop counts low at the front due to their terrible logistic and other C&C issues, stretching far into the backfield.

I could imagine them taking this opportunity to plausibly get rid of troops they can't even support on their own interior lines, and roll the dice on public perception -- God knows they've been doing THAT almost every day since before they invaded already anyway. A lot of their choices make more sense once factoring in the need to keep troop support relatively low since, let's say, around summer last year.

If they're gonna mobilize fresh troops -- and there are articles talking about draft age shifting, even up to 70 years old for senior commanders, and dragooning civilians in occupied areas to send new warm bodies to the front line north of Azov -- they have GOT to get rid of logistic drag one way or another. Easier to let them rot on the vine and then try pointing the finger at the eeeeeevil Ukrainian gay Jewish Nazis or whatever.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 01, 2023, 07:25:20 PMHaven't you guys seen the latest?  Cobra Commander got away (AGAIN) and most of the Joes were killed.  They even got Channing Tatum.  Or Tatum Channing.  Or whoever that guy was who played Duke.

It's all on The Rock's shoulders now.  At least Lady Jaye is still alive and kicking.

Watch to the end of the new Transformers movie.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

FarAway Sooner

Don't tell me they're doing crossover movies now!  I thought Wolfman vs. Dracula was as bad as it could get.

I'd say that the Russians figured out a way to keep on fighting in Leningrad for a couple years.  The Ukrainians are still a long ways from cutting off the Russians in Crimea.  But if they're able to do that before the fall rains come...

SirAndrewD

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 01, 2023, 10:39:05 PMDon't tell me they're doing crossover movies now!  I thought Wolfman vs. Dracula was as bad as it could get.

Ok, I won't tell you that except...I kinda just told you that.

Hey, fits for Transformers yeah?  More than meets the eye!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

its annoying how todays news cycle has smothered info from Ukraine.
some kind of naval engagement took place and still waiting on confirmation.
seemed to be drones against patrol ships.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 02, 2023, 12:01:49 AMits annoying how todays news cycle has smothered info from Ukraine.
some kind of naval engagement took place and still waiting on confirmation.
seemed to be drones against patrol ships.

Yes, there was another drone attack on the Black Sea Fleet near Sevestapol using drones. 

No idea about what truly happened due to opsec.  The Russian MOD has been the only one to even mention it:

"Last night, the Ukrainian armed forces made an unsuccessful attempt using three unmanned surface vessels to attack the Black Sea Fleet patrol ships Sergey Kotov and Vasily Bykov, which are carrying out shipping control tasks in the southwestern part of the Black Sea, 340 kilometres southwest of Sevastopol."

GDS_Starfury

well something took a hit.  early morning russian reports were at leat 1 dead and 4 or 5 wounded.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 02, 2023, 01:06:33 AMwell something took a hit.  early morning russian reports were at least 1 dead and 4 or 5 wounded.

In Russia, that is un-success drone attack! By drone!  :pirate:

Regarding Leningrad: true, it's easy to forget that as bad as Stalingrad was, Leningrad was even worse despite nowhere near as much fighting nearby and in it.

But I'm not sure the Crimean Russian occupiers of today have the fortitude to hold out in Godawful siege situations. Despite Russian propaganda, it'll become clear the Uks aren't Nazis -- or at least not in the sense required -- and plenty of civilians in Crimea may be prepared to welcome the Ukrainians, and the West by extension, with at least grudging relief. Maybe better.

I fully expect Crimea civilians will be the key to whether any occupying troops in the area, who are willing to try waiting it out, will be able to bunker down successfully for as long as it takes -- or not. But first comes the question of how many Russian troops will care to try, and for how long.