Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uberhaus

Ukraine is now the most mined country in the world and schoolchildren have a new addition to their curriculum, while Russian children get HJ like indoctrination and paramilitary training. https://www.businessinsider.com/ukrainian-kids-learn-mine-safety-russian-children-learn-drones-guns-2023-8

Ukraine is also trying innovation for demining with an excavator:
https://ca.rogers.yahoo.com/news/ukraine-tests-homemade-demining-machine-185131710.html

Should be usable away from combat but they might want to up armour the excavator's hydraulic cables even with the attachment's thick shield.

FarAway Sooner

It'll be interesting to see how much money the West has to spend to develop effective anti-mine technology.  Obviously, the challenge of removing a prodigious number of mines is vastly complicated when you have other enemy technologies (e.g., artillery or ATGMs) trying to neutralize your own anti-mine technology.

JasonPratt

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 14, 2023, 09:57:27 AMI hope you're right, Jason.  The "Make the Russian Army so miserable that they eventually give up" approach has not exactly been historically successful.

Speaking of modern WW1 fighting, though... making the Russian Army so miserable they eventually gave up was, in an admittedly oversimplified way, what happened.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 14, 2023, 09:04:09 PMIt'll be interesting to see how much money the West has to spend to develop effective anti-mine technology.

Cry havoc and release memes about the robot dogs!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

I believe Robot Gophers might work better. But then you'd have the gopher holes so...
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 14, 2023, 09:19:34 PMI believe Robot Gophers might work better. But then you'd have the gopher holes so...

Quick, AI! -- generate a giphy from Caddyshack with the gopher wearing a Ukranian cap!

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 14, 2023, 09:05:02 PM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 14, 2023, 09:57:27 AMI hope you're right, Jason.  The "Make the Russian Army so miserable that they eventually give up" approach has not exactly been historically successful.

Speaking of modern WW1 fighting, though... making the Russian Army so miserable they eventually gave up was, in an admittedly oversimplified way, what happened.

Yeah, I thought about that as I was typing it.  WW1 was, I think, the only example where that tactic worked. 

Of course, after the Germans lost WW1, the Russians got most of their land back...  Only to have it invaded again by Allied powers during 1918 in a bid to help the White Russians overthrow the Red Russians! 

Gusington

^We have to define 'worked' more clearly. Like this: 'Knocking Russia out of the First World War' as it got engulfed by numerous other wars.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Solid Wall Street Journal-produced documentary on the Wagner Group:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Well, great news.  With the fast and unexpected collapse of the defensive point of Urozhaine, the Russians actually decided the next strongpoint of Zavitne Bazhannia is not tenable and they are falling back, not even bothering to defend the Morkiydy estuary. 

The Russians are instead trying to rally their broken forces at Staromlynikva with elements of the 60th Motorized Rifle as a rearguard. 

This puts the UAF in striking distance of the only Russian defense lines in the sector as long as they can push through Staromlynikva quickly. 

And further to the west the bridgeheads across the Dniper awaited Russian mechanized counterattacks that never came.  Getting across the river has been surprisingly easy and I imagine the temptation to try to establish a major crossing is getting tempting.  Still very risky as the logistics trail will be choked by the river. 

I'm very interested to see what happens with these bridgeheads as they Russians have virtually no forces across the river opposing it.  That's the best most open ground running in the region and it's totally unfortified, unmined and virtually undefended. 

If the Russians bite on the river crossing that could weaken them significantly along the other fronts.  They're stretched so thin that they can't keep numerical parity everywhere while still sending units to their death in Adiivka and Kupiansk. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 15, 2023, 06:41:04 PMgreat post, needs maps!   :peace:

A lot of that I'm scouring off Telegram and translated Russian intercepts so no maps.  The Deepstate map has some of that reflected but it's a bit behind. 

And a fun story.  In Kherson when the UAF Spec Ops made night before last's crossing, the Russian regional commander Major Yuri Tomov made his way to the front to see why he'd lost communications with his blocking forces. 

He approached soldiers to ask why they weren't reporting in only to meet Ukrainian special forces.  They politely informed him he was now a prisoner of war. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

Gusington

I'm sure the Ukrainians were especially polite to the Russian Major...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd