Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Gift link to a rather good FT article on Russia's war of recolonisation in Ukraine by Mr Ilves, ex-president of Estonia.

https://twitter.com/IlvesToomas/status/1693144436773962200
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

:ROFL:

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Crossroads

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Skoop

Lol, only the Russians could fuck up a moon landing in 2023.  I'm kinda of baffled why they even bothered with the Ukraine war raging.  Seems those resources were wasted, but hey it's Russia... the whole thing was probably some domestic propaganda bullshit...

Uberhaus

Quote from: Skoop on August 20, 2023, 11:06:16 AMLol, only the Russians could fuck up a moon landing in 2023.  I'm kinda of baffled why they even bothered with the Ukraine war raging.  Seems those resources were wasted, but hey it's Russia... the whole thing was probably some domestic propaganda bullshit...
and why were they racing the Indians to find water on the moon? 
The Soviet Union was a signatory to the Outer Space Treaty, where "outer space is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means", amongst other things. I'm sure the Russians would have held themselves to the treaty as they have clearly demonstrated their ethics and honest dealings, especially in the last two years.

Best hat meme yet.  Queue the Russians declaring the moon a terrorist entity, just tell them that the Nazi moon theme is taken already and probably trademarked.

ArizonaTank

The Dutch PM has said that up to 42 F-16s will be donated to Ukraine. Additionally, Denmark has said it will send some as well.

Given the long and vacillating history of aircraft donations in this war, I can't help being skeptical, but I am still very hopeful. 

Also, I can't help thinking that given the fickle politics and logistics issues, the Falcons will trickle into Ukraine and therefore not be as game-changing as they might be otherwise. 

Anyway, some good news I believe.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/netherlands-denmark-commit-to-deliver-f16s-to-ukraine-dutch-pm-rutte/ar-AA1fw83H?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9fee93d389e943e4a43c211ae86b4659&ei=12

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Crossroads

Quote from: Skoop on August 20, 2023, 11:06:16 AMLol, only the Russians could fuck up a moon landing in 2023.  I'm kinda of baffled why they even bothered with the Ukraine war raging.  Seems those resources were wasted, but hey it's Russia... the whole thing was probably some domestic propaganda bullshit...

Live footage now available.

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1693236350424629719

Gusington

Saw that report on casualty figures yesterday, I think. It is quite sobering.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

the difference between a NATO and russian tank hitting a mine.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1693170645343871284

GDS_Starfury

JasonPratt

Apparently, two of those bombers were droned; the side and front photos were of the one that was lost more spectacularly. The other is iffy, which in Russian translates to 'gone'.

Even if all F-16s arrive (with their logistic tail) in Ukraine, and can be operate without being droned and ATG'd out quickly by Russia, and the Ukrainian runways don't crumple their relatively delicate landing gear... the pilots need A LOT of training to be mission operative, including flying propeller craft first (from a report I saw going into some realistic detail of what would be necessary) because they're starting practically from scratch. All things considered, they won't feasibly show up in theater until late NEXT year.

But of course, if they don't at least try to start now they definitely won't have them any earlier if at all, so...!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

This is a reminder that China's economy is also self-destructing due to Godawful practices, and once it goes down that's going to make a big difference on its support for Russia -- in any of several ways. This video doesn't talk about that, but updates one of the big dominoes about to take down China's economy: Evergrande and China's infamous empty new cities.

(The clickbaity title is wrong, as usual, but less wrong than usual. ;) )

This video also doesn't talk about the impact this will have on China's BRICS ponzi-scheme plans, but that's another big domino about to fall and it's kind of a race to see which will take down the other first -- plus that R in the acronym is Russia, who badly needs everyone else in that acronym to pull their asses out of the economic firestorm. Three of the brics are in desperate trouble, though (including South Africa), and I'm not too sure about Brazil overall. India can't subsidize them all herself; and she's stuck on the flanks of both China and Russia, so yay there.  :twirl:

Come to think of it, with Pakistan also going down the drain (somewhat literally thanks to epic horror-flooding this year), the collapse of China and Russia as functioning states could free up several Muslim nations in the area to gang up in a superstate based on claims of being the one true Caliphate and launching jihads to raid infidel sub-states nearby for loot to survive on (and otherwise enslaving them).

So imagine like forty nations and sub-states suddenly violating Fezziwig's most well-known rule: never get involved in a land war in Asia. Or, alternately, go play Vicky 2 or 3 across the span of what became Imperial Russia and modern national China eventually.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

Quoteand the Ukrainian runways don't crumple their relatively delicate landing gear...

what makes you think that an F-16s landing gear is flimsy?
I found this but its an issue thats supposed to be fixed now.
https://www.airandspaceforces.com/long-standing-problem-with-f-16-landing-gear-caused-december-2019-mishap-at-kunsan/

GDS_Starfury