Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

I think that the bigger issue with the F-16s is that their intakes suck up any loose debris on a landing field, making it much harder to maintain the runways when you're consistently within range of enemy drones and missiles.  This means that using isolated stretches of highway as impromptu airfields is extremely dangerous, which means that it's easier to spot F-16 runways, which means that it's easier to keep them non-operational.

None of which means that NATO shouldn't give Ukraine F-16s.  They're a definite step in the right direction.  They just aren't as likely to be a game changer as many of us might hope.

I haven't watched the entire article yet, but one piece that talks about the implications of the F-16 in some detail is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgHud7Z5vaE.

GDS_Starfury

pretty sure this is the same attack as my last post from a different drone.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1693633937124315404
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 21, 2023, 09:58:23 AMpretty sure this is the same attack as my last post from a different drone.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1693633937124315404

Damn that happened it quick order. Helluva good placement too. Speaks to me that engineering vehicles are needed to make new lanes of approach.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Windigo

Uberhaus

Can the Tucano operate in a high-threat environment?  Isn't it for anti-insurgent warfare? 

Star's idea of sending A-10s is a nice idea but what kind of upgrade to their defensive packages could they get.  P.I.T.S. right now.

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 20, 2023, 11:22:46 PM
Quoteand the Ukrainian runways don't crumple their relatively delicate landing gear...

what makes you think that an F-16s landing gear is flimsy?
I found this but its an issue thats supposed to be fixed now.
https://www.airandspaceforces.com/long-standing-problem-with-f-16-landing-gear-caused-december-2019-mishap-at-kunsan/

Well, yes, that. {g} And not that the gear is supposed to be flimsy exactly, only that it needs smooth runways.

Could also depend on how old the Dutch planes are, which I don't know but usually platforms sent to Ukraine tend to be older models needing replacement. Relatedly, the timing for this transfer will also depend on when Holland receives its promised order of F-35s.

(Though now I'm a little paranoid wondering if I'm remembering Holland/Netherlands correctly as the source of the 16s.... I thought we used to have a greybeard smiley for poking fun at our aging memory and eyesight! It used to be right here, let's see...  :privatedancer: there, did that work?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 21, 2023, 08:39:26 AMI haven't watched the entire article yet, but one piece that talks about the implications of the F-16 in some detail is

Activated the code in-window. :)

Also, yeah, doing a foreign object sweep down an F-16 runway is a hell of a lot more time consuming than for an F-18 on a carrier deck.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Windigo

I don't want detail, I want the "elevator pitch".

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Windigo on August 21, 2023, 11:27:25 AMI don't want detail, I want the "elevator pitch".

"We're professionals.  Trust us!"    :Party:

acctingman

After all these Russian losses (it seems like a lot to me) can they even field enough toys on the battlefield to deal with NATO? I know another big threat is China, but I'm not sure how or even IF Russia could stomach a conventional war with NATO. I mean, they probably have warehouses full of T-34's  :Loser:

JasonPratt

Quote from: Windigo on August 21, 2023, 11:27:25 AMI don't want detail, I want the "elevator pitch".

Remember the movie "Iron Eagle"? It'll be like that. NO NOT THE SEQUELS THE FIRST ONE!

JasonPratt

Quote from: acctingman on August 21, 2023, 12:24:08 PMAfter all these Russian losses (it seems like a lot to me) can they even field enough toys on the battlefield to deal with NATO? I know another big threat is China, but I'm not sure how or even IF Russia could stomach a conventional war with NATO. I mean, they probably have warehouses full of T-34's  :Loser:

Not for much longer if they go to war with NATO. A real war, I mean, not just a cold one.

GDS_Starfury

I imagine a hot war with russia would look a lot like Desert Storm.
a month or more of an even more impressive air campaign and then Poland and Finland take everything to the Urals.  :evil:

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 21, 2023, 11:18:11 AMAlso, yeah, doing a foreign object sweep down an F-16 runway is a hell of a lot more time consuming than for an F-18 on a carrier deck.

Finnish AF runs their F/A-18s from road bases too, has done for years and years, no incidents as far as I know. Cleaning a strip of paved road should be possible for F-16s as well. ROK does road bases too for one, don't they have F-16s as well? Norwegians did for their F-16s iirc. Edit, no, actually. Quick google showed Singapore doing that however. Edit2 and Taiwan, too.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY