Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

It's an interesting video, Star.  Thanks for posting that.  My only complaint would be that he was a bit long-winded, but such is always the risk when dealing with academics.

It does give interesting food for thought on whether or not Russia proceeds with another significant mobilization any time soon.  It'll be interesting to see what we all learn if/when the fog of war lifts.

JasonPratt

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 16, 2023, 05:51:22 PMConsensus is that it was a Ukrainian counter battery trap.

Belongs restored in a museum.

But how long must we wait for the Ork propaganda to point to this as evidence of actual Nazis being fought against by heroic Mother Russia?

(The iron cross on the turret is especially useful.)

To be fair, at this point Russia's gonna do it anyway, so you might as well spare another tank by giving them a worthless target.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Skoop

Looks like ATACMs might have made their debut by wrecking an airfield full of equipment.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 17, 2023, 12:07:27 PMBut how long must we wait for the Ork propaganda to point to this as evidence of actual Nazis being fought against by heroic Mother Russia?

(The iron cross on the turret is especially useful.)

To be fair, at this point Russia's gonna do it anyway, so you might as well spare another tank by giving them a worthless target.

Yeah, Russians jump at the whole cross symbiology every chance they get. 

Never mind the fact that battlefield crosses and x's and deltas have been in use by militaries for literally thousands of years, including by Russians.   
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 17, 2023, 10:53:57 AMIt's an interesting video, Star.  Thanks for posting that.

my pleasure!  I've now gotten sucked into a bunch of his work and so far its pretty decent.

QuoteLooks like ATACMs might have made their debut by wrecking an airfield full of equipment.

oh they were definitely ATACMS!  photos of the boosters and some unexploded bomblets proved that.

QuoteYeah, Russians jump at the whole cross symbiology every chance they get. 

I kind of get the feeling that the Ukrainians are just rubbing the russians face in it at this point.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

Windigo

Damn good use of those bad boys too.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

would like to know what kind of helicopters got burnt out.
result of the ATACMS strike.

GDS_Starfury

WALL-E fights for Ukraine!  drone used to plant mines right at the front.

GDS_Starfury

and this weeks losses around Avdiivka.

GDS_Starfury

and while I cant seem to find video or photo confirmation its claimed that 4 Frogfoots have need shot down over the last week as well.

GDS_Starfury

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 18, 2023, 05:26:21 PMwould like to know what kind of helicopters got burnt out.
result of the ATACMS strike.

It's my understanding that the ATACMS in its current configuration uses a unitary M57 warhead (essentially uses a Harpoon's 500-lb warhead).  That replaced the cluster munition M39 warhead that was previously used, but that replacement program started in 2021 and wasn't expected to finish until 2024.

Forbes reported that there were 3 ATACMS used in the attack on the airbase.  Assuming that the photo is real and not altered, it would suggest that they are using cluster munition warheads.  Wouldn't a 500-pound warhead falling from 32 miles out of the sky leave a larger hole in the ground than what we see there?

I'm not so much trying to poke holes in the picture as just understand--what kind of warheads are the ATACMS using?