Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

Wow.  I wonder what the numbers are of Russian citizens who have fled Russia and are now under a temporary protection order? 

Obviously, the circumstances of their leaving are different, but I have to think that it is disproportionately well-educated Russian men that are leaving.

JudgeDredd

It's just so fucking depressing. And what's so infuriating and depressing about it is - why? Why even fucking bother for these last 2 years. If you're not committed, why drag this out.

Putin is sitting rubbing his hands with glee. He knew the West wouldn't hold, and sure enough, here it comes.

Putin has plenty of expendable, cheap war resources - humans. Ukraine does not.

This is the one war since the first Gulf War I actually believed the West should get involved in.

I think the days of standing up to tyranny died with the leaders of WWII.

Not my war...fuck it.
Alba gu' brath

Skoop

I'm pretty sure they'll get a funding deal done.  If we can keep the Ukrainians supplied with arty shells, they can fight on defensively for a long time.  It's not as dark as it might seem.  But the reality of Ukraine recapturing their land with some sweeping offensive like Kharkov last fall is not happening.

In hind sight, I'm wondering if the zaporizia front was a mistake, like Hitler at Kursk.  Those mobile reserves could do some damage on the avdivka pincers in a counter attack role, plus no mine fields to deal with.

Crossroads

I don't believe the losses at Zaporizhzhia were decisive as such. The known losses afaik were more like a battalion tactical group stopped right there, but not more. Then again, who knows, the fog of war is thick.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Windigo

Quote from: Skoop on December 10, 2023, 04:57:48 PMI'm pretty sure they'll get a funding deal done.  If we can keep the Ukrainians supplied with arty shells, they can fight on defensively for a long time.  It's not as dark as it might seem.  But the reality of Ukraine recapturing their land with some sweeping offensive like Kharkov last fall is not happening.

In hind sight, I'm wondering if the zaporizia front was a mistake, like Hitler at Kursk.  Those mobile reserves could do some damage on the avdivka pincers in a counter attack role, plus no mine fields to deal with.

Apparently they did have a successful counterattack there. I was wondering why it wasn't coming sooner....  but all that counts are the results.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

FarAway Sooner

I don't know that Western resolve is crumbling, so much as just eroding in a couple places.  I think the media, fully recognizing that fear sells, sensationalizes every little vibration in the alliance as a sure sign that support is ending.  This creates doubt in the West and provides encouragement for the Putinista regime, even as it does a great job of selling advertising for the media outlets!  :hair:

I'm NOT arguing that continued vigilance and support from NATO is not needed.  I'm not arguing that the current political kerfluffles aren't disheartening.

I just don't see the short-term stuff as being worth sweating yet.  Seeing democracy in action is like watching sausage being made.  I'm hoping that this is no exception.

GDS_Starfury

Zelensky chewed into orban's ass yesterday in Argentina and it was great to see! 
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Windigo

GDS_Starfury

he literally had him cornered in the room they were in.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 11, 2023, 05:11:38 PMhe literally had him cornered in the room they were in.

I hope he squeazed him..... HAAARD!

Crossroads

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Windigo

Holy crap. If I was a satellite Neighbour to Russia, reluctantly within their sphere of control, I'd be thinking right about now about gaining a bunch more autonomy.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Windigo on December 12, 2023, 03:56:11 PMHoly crap. If I was a satellite Neighbour to Russia, reluctantly within their sphere of control, I'd be thinking right about now about gaining a bunch more autonomy.

Yep! Just refrain from playing drunken grenade toss while you are on your private jet.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury