To End All Wars contest archive thread

Started by bayonetbrant, August 27, 2014, 11:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

1. No purchase necessary to enter contest. Entries are limited to one (1) per person.  To enter, post your entry in the "Contest Entries" thread under "To End All Wars Giveaway" located at the http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11044. Entries received by any other method (phone, fax, courier) or in any other format, will not be accepted. Contest commences on August 27, 2014 and closes on September 13, 2014 at midnight Eastern Standard Time.

2. This contest is open to all registered members of Grogheads.com, who are over eighteen (18) years of age. Employees, agents, representatives and members of Grogheads, LLC, as well as members of their immediate families and households, are not eligible for contest participation. Membership at Grogheads.com and participation in the contest is free. No purchase necessary.

3. There will be one (1) grand prize winner of the contest. The grand prize will consist of a free download key for one copy of "To End All Wars" as provided to GrogHeads.com by Slitherine, Ltd.  Winner will be notified by email and/or via private message through the Grogheads.com forum. If the winning entrant cannot be reached, or does not claim his/her prize within 48 hours of the selection date, or does not meet all the contest conditions, another entrant(s) will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.

4. The entrant who receives the most votes for his/her entry in the contest, as recorded with the "poll" feature in the GrogHeads.com forum, will be declared the winner.

5. Chances of winning are dependent on the total number of eligible entries received. This contest is subject to all federal, state, provincial and municipal laws and regulations and participation in the contest indicates acceptance of all contest rules and regulations. This contest is void where prohibited by law.

6. By entering the contest, all entrants agree to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless Grogheads, LLC and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees, members and agents, to the fullest extent permitted by law, from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won. Grogheads, LLC, its agents, employees, representatives and members shall not be responsible for lost, misdirected or delayed entries. No responsibility will be taken for any failure of the website during the promotion or for any problems or technical malfunction of a network, computer on-line system, server, access provider, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail, on-line or Internet entry to be received by Grogheads, LLC. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are forged, falsified, altered, or tampered with in any way.
Grogheads, LLC reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend the this contest without notice at any time at its sole and absolute discretion. Grogheads, LLC further reserves the right to modify, amend, extend or suspend the Contest including canceling any method of entry, judging criteria, and/or Contest rules. Grogheads, LLC reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Rules or otherwise in a disruptive manner.

7. By entering this Contest the entrants and participants automatically agree to accept and abide by these Rules and all applicable laws. All decisions of the Contest Sponsors with respect to any aspect of this Contest, including without limitation the eligibility of entries, are final and binding on all entrants in all matters as they relate to this Contest.

8. All entries and content submitted shall become the exclusive property of Grogheads, LLC.

9. All intellectual property, including but not limited to trade-marks, trade-names, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source codes, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned by Grogheads, LLC and or its affiliates, or their respective owners. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any copyrighted material or intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

We're giving away a Steam Key for "To End All Wars"!

Here's the deal:

Sum up WWI in a tweet.  You get 140 characters, including spaces.

Post your entries in the thread for contest entries.

Limit of ONE ENTRY per person!  If you post multiple times, we will use the most recent entry.  So you can post multiple times, but you only get one entry.

We will collect all the entries and put them up for a vote among the GH forum members.  Highest vote total wins.  In the event of a tie, we will eliminate the non-tied entries, and let everyone vote on just the remaining entries.

ENTRIES MUST BE IN BY 10PM EDT, as date-stamped by our forums, on September 4th.
Voting will start on 9/5 and continue until 9/13, and we will announce the winner of 9/14.

You want more details?  Go read the legalese!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Post your contest entries here:

"Sum up WWI in a tweet"

Contest entries posted anywhere else will be ignored.

GOOD LUCK!

bayonetbrant

You have to be a registered member of the forums to participate!  O0

Asid

"Gavrilo Princip the father of WW1"
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Cyrano

Serb shoots wrong German.  Old World dissolves in blood, leaving a war we continue to fight.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Silent Disapproval Robot

"So the poor ol' ostrich died for nothing."
                                              -Baldrick

Sir Slash

"The Great War That Wasn't Really All That Great"-- unless you're playing it now sitting on your ass dragging & dropping millions to their doom... I mean victory!!!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Staggerwing

FAMILY FEUD: Inbred Royals with Mobilized Armies edition.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

We'll be home by Christmas. Didn't say which Christmas.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

The powder keg ripe
Fat Prince rots in back of car
Hitler, Part Two, soon

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Boggit

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 27, 2014, 01:39:36 PM
"So the poor ol' ostrich died for nothing."
                                              -Baldrick
Very funny :2funny:, but you should have put the youtube link up to give it full effect... and dammit, I can't find it for you - it was there....

This is the best context I could find at short notice -

[discussing how the war began]

Private Baldrick: I heard it started when some fella called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cos he was hungry.

Captain Blackadder: I think you mean that it started when the Arch Duke of Austro-Hungary got shot.

Private Baldrick: No, there was definitely an ostrich involved.

Whilst I loved that clip, this one is rather more poignant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM&list=PLwCd_jgvjTjQzP7Q9REbcqJNJuyzhJzC0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat