Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 25, 2022, 04:13:57 PM
In really bad news..

The Russians are mobilizing Chechen conscripts for what is almost sure to be the occupation phase.

Putin can have non-ethnic Russians absorb the casualties of an insurgency.  And of course the Chechen reputation for brutality precedes them. 

As I said, the war will be bad, but the aftermath of a Russian victory will be worse.

Last time I checked, Chechens liked killing Russians. I don't see them rushing to kill Ukrainians.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

How will victory be defined here? We probably don't want the real Russian answer.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on February 25, 2022, 03:46:32 PM
^I saw that earlier and thought 'wow that's awesome how they told the Russian warship to f off' until I discovered the Russians then opened fire and killed the Ukrainian defenders.

There is more audio available where you hear the Ukrainian soldiers talking between themselves saying 'well, this is it' ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2iVHUMZhg

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2022, 04:18:26 PM

Last time I checked, Chechens liked killing Russians. I don't see them rushing to kill Ukrainians.

We can hope that their conscripts won't be motivated to do so.  However, it's easy to open a history book and see the Russian playbook on occupation and insurgency.

Clearly the Russians won't trust Chechen formations in the invasion, but I can imagine them casually executing Russian reprisals in an insurgency.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Pete Dero

Quote from: MengJiao on February 25, 2022, 03:54:08 PM
"Our information also indicates that Russia plans to threaten killing the family members of Ukrainian soldiers if they do not surrender," the official said, who
also commended the "incredible bravery" that the Ukrainians showed in the first day of fighting.

Compare that with what Russians see on TV today :

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has said that "nobody is going to attack the people of Ukraine," despite the continuation of strikes by Russian forces on Friday, "there will be no strikes on civilian infrastructure."
"I will stress: read what Putin said. No strikes on civilian infrastructure, no strikes on the personnel of the Ukrainian army, on their dormitories, or other places not connected to the military facilities. The statistics that we have confirm this," Lavrov said.
"Nobody is going to somehow degrade the Ukrainian Armed Forces".

Uberhaus

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 25, 2022, 04:22:47 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2022, 04:18:26 PM

We can hope that their conscripts won't be motivated to do so.  However, it's easy to open a history book and see the Russian playbook on occupation and insurgency.

Clearly the Russians won't trust Chechen formations in the invasion, but I can imagine them casually executing Russian reprisals in an insurgency.

Kadyrov has Chechnya cowed, but I don't think he will have instilled fierce loyalty to Russia in Chechens.  You would think the Chechens have more in common with Crimean Tatars than Russians. 

Uberhaus

Where did Stalin deport the Don Cossacks to?  Stalin deported the Crimean Tatars to Uzbek SSR.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Pete Dero on February 25, 2022, 04:32:27 PM

Compare that with what Russians see on TV today :

I don't trust a single thing the Russians are saying, no matter how mundane. 

If they reported the sky was blue I'd go outside to check.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

acctingman

I haven't really followed closely as to why Pukin invaded, but I thought I read somewhere he wanted territory lost back in Russian hands? Sounds eerily familiar to some other asshat 80 years ago.

Uberhaus

The Ukranians certainly are brave even this woman. 

The Russian soldier shows restraint at this time.  However, there is footage of a Russian MTLB? with launchers driving deliberately over a car.  The driver miraculously survived.

Gusington

^It is almost identical to German claims after WWI and before WWII. Russians felt they got robbed by the end of the Cold War, similar to how Germany got robbed at the end of the First World War. It's all very creepy. Hitler would be proud of Putin if he didn't despise him for being a 'filthy slav subhuman.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

Quote from: acctingman on February 25, 2022, 04:44:55 PM
I haven't really followed closely as to why Pukin invaded, but I thought I read somewhere he wanted territory lost back in Russian hands? Sounds eerily familiar to some other asshat 80 years ago.
Funny you mentioned that.  The Ukranians think the same thing, from their official Twitter account.

Gusington

The clip of the Russian vehicle crushing a car is nauseating and very Tianamen.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: acctingman on February 25, 2022, 04:44:55 PM

It's pretty similar. 

Putin has never recognized Ukraine's right to exist as an independent nation. 

As far back as 2008 he was quoted telling Bush "George, what you don't understand is that Ukraine isn't a country".

His pretext is their willingness to join NATO since the Donbass War.  However, that's just an excuse, one Ukrainian activist I heard today was pretty direct "We were totally neutral less than ten years ago.  We never would've wanted to join NATO if we weren't sure Putin wanted to annex us." 

Toonces

Quote from: Pete Dero on February 25, 2022, 04:21:18 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 25, 2022, 03:46:32 PM
^I saw that earlier and thought 'wow that's awesome how they told the Russian warship to f off' until I discovered the Russians then opened fire and killed the Ukrainian defenders.

There is more audio available where you hear the Ukrainian soldiers talking between themselves saying 'well, this is it' ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2iVHUMZhg

What heroes. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs