Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

on ADSB you can track 2 E-6s flying over the US.
kinda makes me want to watch By Dawns Early Light again. 
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MengJiao

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2022, 10:56:33 AM
I feel like russia wants to waste time while it "talks" as it sorts its logistics out

Sounds plausible.  US intell says the Russians have commited 2/3 of their mobile forces to the Ukrainian front.

Meanwhile:

Turkish foreign minister: Turkey recognizes the Russian invasion to Ukraine as "war"

Which means Russian ships can be stopped from leaving the Black Sea.

GDS_Starfury

Ive been keeping up with that.  it isolates the russian ships off syria which could turn interesting.
pretty bold move by turkey.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

and the EU is now expanding sanctions to belarus.

MengJiao

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2022, 11:33:52 AM
Ive been keeping up with that.  it isolates the russian ships off syria which could turn interesting.
pretty bold move by turkey.

Yes.  But looking at it from Turkey's point of view its a win-win: 1) the Russians are very busy elsewhere 2) time to score some geopolitical points.  Nothing to lose, and a lot to gain.

Now NATO (Turkey is in NATO) can begin to see an interesting calculus: if it takes 2/3 of mobile Russian forces several weeks to overrun the Ukraine (surely not even a third-rate power), why not
   just give them as much trouble as possible everywhere?  In attacking the Ukraine, the Russians have gambled and are so far not looking like they are going to get anything that is worth
   blowing all their credibility.  Their nukes might be the last big card they have to play.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2022, 11:18:36 AM
we're living in a god damn James Bond movie.

Well, I have the Martini part down but I'm certainly not getting Pussy Galore.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Pete Dero

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 27, 2022, 11:54:25 AM

I chose a good week to start drinking.

GDS_Starfury

ArizonaTank

Some interesting stuff on Sky News (I am in the US, so I generally watch via the Sky News Roku channel).

Firefight footage that appears to be real. You can see an NLAW, Ukrainian armored vehicles, other vehicles burning in the distance...and the guy taking video cursing at the Russians. The tag says it was taken in Ivankiv...about 30 miles NW of central Kyiv.

https://news.sky.com/video/ukraine-invasion-video-appears-to-show-home-troops-in-firefight-with-russians-near-ivankiv-12552606

A recent video out of Kharkiv, showing what appears to be Russians clumped around light vehicles that are driving down the streets backwards (starts about 32 seconds into the video). The Russians appear to be using the vehicles as cover...but they just look like good RPG targets to me.

https://news.sky.com/video/ukraine-invasion-russian-troops-move-into-northern-kharkiv-12553047

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

solops

Quote from: Pete Dero on February 27, 2022, 12:14:57 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 27, 2022, 11:54:25 AM

I chose a good week to start drinking.
What a great idea. Time for some port.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

GDS_Starfury

its amazing to think of how many ways this can break historically.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2022, 01:22:12 PM
its amazing to think of how many ways this can break historically.

I know. It might even turn into one of those wars with UN blue helmets running around.

The Ukrainians are asking for ammunition now...but they will shortly start asking for food. The Russian invasion is the ultimate supply chain interruption. It's going to take a whole bunch of food to feed all of those folks stuck in the cities. It would be a bad look for Russia if the Ukrainians start to starve. So then we might end up with non-NATO UN troops (the Irish? the Austrians?) running food convoys and trains while the Russians try not to shoot at blue helmets. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

If I am understanding all of the above correctly, we'll all be saved by Anonymous, Turkey and the ghost of Powers Booth? Damn.

I have been watching Sky News as well and it has been excellent. Dare I say CNN's coverage has not been bad either.

The news that Putin is putting Russia's nuclear forces on alert is making me soil my drawers. That is genuinely frightening.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60543994
QuoteRussia's central bank has issued an appeal for calm amid fears that new financial sanctions could spark a run on its banks.

It said it "has the necessary resources and tools to maintain financial stability and ensure the operational continuity of the financial sector".

The EU, the US, the UK and Canada have announced that the assets of Russia's central bank will be frozen.
Market analysts predict that on Monday the value of the rouble will drop and Russians may rush to remove their money from banks.

"These new sanctions are likely to cause serious damage to the Russian economy and its banking system", said Clay Lowery, executive vice president at the Institute of International Finance. "This will most likely exacerbate ongoing bank runs... causing a sharp sell-off and a drain on reserves."

From https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60542877
QuoteRussian police have arrested about 2,000 people at nearly 50 anti-war protests around the country, according to an independent Russian monitoring organisation.

OVD-Info says more than 5,000 Russian protesters have now been arrested since the invasion of Ukraine.

Opposition in Russia will continue to grow and grow, especially with economic pain.  Putin may not be removed today or tommorow, but as more and more Russians learn the truth or can talk again about their murderous leader's actions there will be more and more internal dissent.