Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uberhaus

Quote from: Gusington on February 27, 2022, 01:53:57 PM
If I am understanding all of the above correctly, we'll all be saved by Anonymous, Turkey and the ghost of Powers Booth? Damn.

Youse pays youse money and takes youse chances.

Pete Dero

Maybe the reason why Putin calls this a military special operation and not a war :

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/28/vladimir-putin-declares-all-russian-military-deaths-state-secrets
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32913929

The Russian president has amended a decree (in 2015) to extend the list of state secrets to include information on casualties during special operations when war has not been declared.

JasonPratt

Quote from: solops on February 27, 2022, 01:19:57 PM
What a great idea. Time for some port.

Putin: "....I don't get it."

Solops: "THAT'S RIGHT!"  :D

(I'm being optimistic for humor and morale sake, but at least Putin didn't just overrun the ports despite his amphib ops.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ComradeP

Talking about food: Russia and Ukraine are the world's #1 and #5 grain exporting countries and Ukraine. Ukraine is also the world's #4 corn exporting country.

Particularly along the eastern shore of the Mediterranean, the population of countries like Egypt and Lebanon could face challenging times if deliveries are halted. In Egypt, bread is heavily subsidized by the government, which makes an increase in (already fairly high) grain import costs a problem both for the population and El-Sisi's government
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

FYI, I changed the name of the thread as we have clearly moved beyond a buildup.

Some of the footage out there is amazing. The determination and courage on display by Ukrainian soldiers and citizens is positively inspiring.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Apparently that Chechen General who was killed was the most loyal crony of the Chechen president (himself a loyal Putin crony), and was infamous for being Putin's personal anti-LGBT bloodhound.  Ukraine did the world a huge favor killing that asshole.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

^Nice. Hopefully more favors are in the offing.

^And to JH's point, there's a TikTok of a Ukrainian civilian carrying a Russian mine off a road to a safer spot while smoking a Marlboro that's been circulating.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

^ Lol, that video had some real strong "Just another day on the job" energy.  What an amazingly chill and casual display of sheer courage.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Uberhaus

Hopefully, there will be a change in venue for the meeting in fairness to Ukraine.  https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-698778 
QuotePrime Minister Naftali Bennett offered Russian President Vladimir Putin to mediate an end to the war in Ukraine during a phone call between the two leaders on Sunday.

Bennett said that he is willing to negotiate between Russia and Ukraine and that "Israel is willing to help if it is asked and at any time to settle the cross and bring the sides together," a diplomatic source said.

Zelensky has asked Israel several times to mediate with Russia, including in his conversation with Bennett on Friday.

Putin responded that he is willing to hold talks with Ukraine in Belarus, Russian news agency RIA reported.

Gusington

That guy with the mine became an instant hero/celebrity.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I think I'd need something stronger than a Marlborough for that kind of work.  :o 
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

I just saw an interview with the former CO of the 1st Armored, Gen. Mart Hertling analyzing footage of rows of Russian APC's destroyed in place on the roads of north Kyiv.   The vehicles were  mostly taken out by light anti-tank weapons from the rear, destroyed in marching column.

His take at the end was that this was that the Russian Generals "Were incompetent in the way that they planned this invasion". 

It's really starting to look like the Russians really just planned to roll in and start occupying without any real fight.  They are not operating like an army prepared to take contested ground by force.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^I agree. It's as if the Russians did not know Ukrainian national character, even after coexisting with them literally 'next door' for 1000+ years, never mind the past 8 years.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd