Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

GDS_Starfury

the Atlantic seems to have some really good articles!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

what are the chances of russia being disarmed of nukes after this is done?
I understand that the US would also have to give up a huge number to get this done.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

FarAway Sooner

The Atlantic is an excellent magazine.  It leans slightly left, but does a good job of taking on issues from a nonpartisan angle, so we actually learn some things and maybe even develop some ideas for a path forward.  It's the closest thing that North America has to The Economist.

There is NO WAY that Russia disarms its nuclear arsenal without regime change.  Even then, it's almost totally unlikely.  It's the only thing they have left that makes them relevant on the global stage. 

It's also the only thing THEY control that keeps other countries from ever invading them.  The historical trauma from brutal occupations runs so deep in that culture, I don't ever see them giving that up.  JMHO, obviously.

Sir Slash

Who the hell would trust Putin if he said he had no nukes? I wouldn't trust the bastard if he told me he had no steely, piercing eyes.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I really only see Russia getting rid of their nukes by launching them at us.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

So I was chatting on the phone with a friend this evening and he brought up a good point to what has been disturbing me about this whole affair.
He said that Putin probably put all his second rate equipment and troops on the border just to scare the west into giving him what he wanted.  Since the west really didn't back down (or offer some sort of reconcilliation for that matter) Putin decided to actually invade then.  It went wrong and now we're in a mess.  A mess that almost has the feel that it was the west all along who wanted it. 

Theories for sure, but it is plausible imho.  I don't know.  I just hope we don't get nuked.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

Quote from: W8taminute on March 02, 2022, 09:11:43 PM
So I was chatting on the phone with a friend this evening and he brought up a good point to what has been disturbing me about this whole affair.
He said that Putin probably put all his second rate equipment and troops on the border just to scare the west into giving him what he wanted.  Since the west really didn't back down (or offer some sort of reconcilliation for that matter) Putin decided to actually invade then.  It went wrong and now we're in a mess.  A mess that almost has the feel that it was the west all along who wanted it. 

Theories for sure, but it is plausible imho.  I don't know.  I just hope we don't get nuked.

I don't really agree with that at all. 

Putin made the decision to invade Ukraine five years ago.  NATO was just a red herring. 

He wants to restore the RUBK power axis, Russia/Belarus/Ukraine/Kazakhstan.   The only way this could've been avoided is if the Euromaidan dominated government had collapsed and been replaced by a pro-Putin stooge.

The Russians have been famous for putting its second tier troops in harms way to support its front line formations as far as they've had a military history.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

solops

Quote from: Gusington on March 02, 2022, 09:07:52 PM
I really only see Russia getting rid of their nukes by launching them at us.
+1
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Pete Dero

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 02, 2022, 03:36:16 PM
Ukraine is claiming that a tip-off from "representatives" of the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB), helped foil and kill Chechen assassins going after Zelensky over the weekend.

If true...that's gotta be irritating and maybe even scary for Putin. His own security service (the equivalent of the FBI) helping the Ukrainians.

Maybe the distance isn't because of Covid but for fear of an attack on him ?

MikeGER

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 02, 2022, 04:59:25 PM
a good cover about where Germany is at right now.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2022/03/germany-putin-ukraine-invasion/623322/

there is a concerning story behind this.

German government, with its fresh left-green and neo-liberal coalition acted in the beginning of the crisis as has to be expected.

then last Saturday Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and Lithuanian President Gitanas Nausea visited Scholz in person! in his office in Berlin, hours later he released 1/4 of the German stockpile of Stingers and Fausts to be donated to the Ukraine and hold his historic speech with the 180 degree change of German stance next morn. a change that if he had only argumented mildly in that direction in an interview/talkshow a day before would have let to an instant revolt in his sozial-democratic party, and the Greens would have gone apeshit and it would have been the end of the coalition and new elections. The fact that the Greens accepeted this in that night too without the usual  week/month long discussions and firce resistance  also prove the sheer magnitude of that pardigm change     

My conclusion: there must be a valid and shockingly grave intelligence report (with an obviously beyond 'cosmic' secret level classification to protect the source) that both Presidents briefed Scholz about on Saturday, in person! go figure both and in person !

And that changed it all.     

I really would like to take a glipms on that intel
(i guess its from an Baltic agent in Putins inner circle, or a Russian General would like to save the real Russia as a true patriot that he is, and the world too, who leaked Putins playbook)   

PS: 2700 Strela2 (known as SA7 Grail)   anti air manpads on the way   

Yskonyn

Quote from: W8taminute on March 02, 2022, 09:11:43 PM
  It went wrong and now we're in a mess.  A mess that almost has the feel that it was the west all along who wanted it. 

I am not following you at all. Could you elaborate on how exactly it might feel like the West wanted this?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

ComradeP

Quote from: MikeGER on March 03, 2022, 05:06:51 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 02, 2022, 04:59:25 PM
a good cover about where Germany is at right now.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2022/03/germany-putin-ukraine-invasion/623322/

there is a concerning story behind this.

German government, with its fresh left-green and neo-liberal coalition acted in the beginning of the crisis as has to be expected.

then last Saturday Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and Lithuanian President Gitanas Nausea visited Scholz in person! in his office in Berlin, hours later he released 1/4 of the German stockpile of Stingers and Fausts to be donated to the Ukraine and hold his historic speech with the 180 degree change of German stance next morn. a change that if he had only argumented mildly in that direction in an interview/talkshow a day before would have let to an instant revolt in his sozial-democratic party, and the Greens would have gone apeshit and it would have been the end of the coalition and new elections. The fact that the Greens accepeted this in that night too without the usual  week/month long discussions and firce resistance  also prove the sheer magnitude of that pardigm change     

My conclusion: there must be a valid and shockingly grave intelligence report (with an obviously beyond 'cosmic' secret level classification to protect the source) that both Presidents briefed Scholz about on Saturday, in person! go figure both and in person !

And that changed it all.     

I really would like to take a glipms on that intel
(i guess its from an Baltic agent in Putins inner circle, or a Russian General would like to save the real Russia as a true patriot that he is, and the world too, who leaked Putins playbook)   

PS: 2700 Strela2 (known as SA7 Grail)   anti air manpads on the way   

It will take years for the increased spending to result in an overall higher state of readiness, in any EU country. If there's an immediate threat, which seems to be what you suggest, the increased spending wouldn't do anything about it.

Considering the nature of German (and, for example, Dutch) coalition governments, if the head of state or prime minister wants to get anything done it can be best to just announce a change and wait for everybody to hop on the bandwagon. Instead of talking about it for years.

In Dutch media, the move by Scholtz is compared to Kohl's speech about future reunification of Germany. Instead of first talking about it for years, it came down to: "this is our goal, and we'll reach it by following a programme that I'll describe".
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Pete Dero

Can you do us a favor ?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-officials-say-china-asked-russia-delay-ukraine-war-until-after-beijing-2022-03-02/

Senior Chinese officials told senior Russian officials in early February not to invade Ukraine before the end of the Winter Olympics in Beijing, the New York Times reported, quoting Biden administration officials and a European official who cited a Western intelligence report.

Liu Pengyu, a spokesman for the Chinese embassy in Washington, said, "The claims mentioned in the relevant reports are speculations without any basis, and are intended to blame-shift and smear China."

GDS_Starfury

video of another failed russian attack:

Jarhead0331

Russia made some pretty significant gains yesterday and I think the pace of the invasion is going to pick-up over the next several days.

Key Takeaways March 2

Russian forces resumed offensive operations against Kyiv's western outskirts on March 2 after pausing for resupply from February 27 to March 1 but failed to secure any additional territory.

Russian forces launched offensive operations in Zhytomyr Oblast, expanding their envelopment of Kyiv further west than ISW previously assessed—likely to outflank stronger-than-anticipated Ukrainian resistance and limited Ukrainian counterattacks in Kyiv's outskirts.

Russian forces renewed advances toward northeastern Kyiv on March 2, reaching a line approximately 65km from the city center on that axis.

Russian forces assaulted central Kharkiv and continued to heavily bombard the city on March 2, likely increasing civilian casualties.

Russian forces fully encircled Mariupol as of March 2 and are conducting a deliberate campaign to destroy critical civilian infrastructure and residential areas in a likely attempt to force the city to surrender.

Russian forces continued to reduce pockets of Ukrainian resistance in Kherson on March 2 and will likely secure the city in the next 24 hours if they have not done so already.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18