Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Good article Con.  I'm somewhat familiar (20+ years experience in the semi-conductor manufacturing industry) with supply chain challenges and six sigma manufacturing and can understand the potential problems outlined in that article. 

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

^Just the phrase 'six sigma manufacturing' makes me shudder.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

What makes anyone think a new government by summer in Russia would be any better? Anybody believe they'll install a Constitutional Democracy and vote in a Peace Ticket? You'll probably at best get a new Strong-Man who will take-up where Putin left-off. And even that could be years away. You Young People are so naive.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

todays most accurate map I could find.

@ Slash:  ok boomer
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Great map, really good detail. I get the feeling that Lviv is not in Russia's sights...that they plan to leave it alone and make it part of whatever's left of Ukraine when this is over.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2022, 11:39:17 PM
@ slash:  or theres a new government in russia by summer and a whole new world order.
you old ppl are always so negative.

I am not negative.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

^You make up for it in other ways.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

I found the problem!
this book:

its $170.00 on amazon!  so it seems that the russians cant afford to read their own doctrine!

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 09, 2022, 02:02:37 PM
I found the problem!
this book:

its $170.00 on amazon!  so it seems that the russians cant afford to read their own doctrine!

When I wore a green suit for a living (so long ago), I had a big thick manual on Soviet "big battle" doctrine. It was scary.

I got to see that doctrine in action at the US Army's National Training Center (NTC) where the OPFOR used it in an "attack" on the US 3rd ACR in October, 1987. It was awesome. And even though I knew it wasn't "real" it was a little scary. Echelons of OPFOR tanks (read "Soviet") behind a massive rolling curtain of smoke, advancing up a wide valley.

The punchline of course is that after WWII, the Soviets never did anything like that in real life (to be fair, they did not fight any major wars after '45). When the Soviet Union fell, it became obvious what a paper tiger they were. The US and Allies on the other hand were able to exercise our "big battle" doctrine a few times...the last time probably was Desert Storm where it was 'textbook.'

But the muddy mess that Putin's guys have made of this war, just shows what a complete break there has been with decades of Soviet doctrine.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

I have no reason to think that a mid 80s soviet army was no less corrupt and poorly maintained.
I want a 1987 do-over!  >:(

Gusington

'In great war of Soviet defense, when all else fails, the human wave will do.'
- Vlad Putin

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 09, 2022, 05:38:45 PM
I have no reason to think that a mid 80s soviet army was no less corrupt and poorly maintained.
I want a 1987 do-over!  >:(

If you can find a copy of the book "Mig Pilot" by John Barron, about the defection of Viktor Belenko who flew his Mig 25 to Japan in 1976, it has a ton of anecdotes about how corrupt the Soviet military was at that time. It is kind of a biography of Belenko and covers a bunch of ground about what it was like to be a Soviet fighter pilot at that time. Unfortunately, the book is now pretty expensive, but copies are available on ebay and abebooks. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on March 09, 2022, 05:47:27 PM
'In great war of Soviet defense, when all else fails, the human wave will do.'
- Vlad Putin

UK Ministry of Defence 🇬🇧@DefenceHQThe Russian MoD has confirmed the use of the TOS-1A weapon system in Ukraine. The TOS-1A uses thermobaric rockets, creating incendiary and blast effects.

Looks like the Russians are going for a little pulse of terror before they get realistic and try to back out of this mess. 
  Why else claim to be using thermobaric weapons?  Also the chemical weapons and so on.  This seems like a ploy to scare the Ukrainians
before settling down to some kind of negotiation in Turkey.