Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Ive seen a lot of photos like this and cant help but visualize the inter-German border in 1987
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

ComradeP

I tried to find some footage or photos showing the same road at various points since the invasion, but couldn't find any. No way for me to prove or disprove that (sections of) major roads are already seriously degraded.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

GDS_Starfury

oh there are twitter feeds that seem to use black magic to geo-locate events.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

ComradeP

I know, but I haven't been able to find footage of the same road section every, say, 2-3 days since the invasion.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

GDS_Starfury

live feeds pushes things 2 days ago into the abyss.
my old ass has pretty damn good google-fu and its fucking hard to keep up.

al_infierno

QuoteVideo of a Russian column ambushed at the exact spot where you fight CMBS "Shield of Kiev" Campaign Mission 1

It is at the northern end of the map. And just up the road is where you fight the second mission.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.6150624,30.8613714,3a,75y,333.42h,99.38t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAF1QipPYqX5miNjEJOA0OPP88iImGUXDHx2qLsiPv5R\_!2e10!3e11!7i5120!8i2560

https://old.reddit.com/r/CombatMission/comments/tcd2fg/video_of_a_russian_column_ambushed_at_the_exact/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Rekim

GDS_Starfury

ComradeP

Indeed, some good maps there showing Russian supply limitations.

-

The Russians had been rotating "volunteers" in the separatist regions since 2014 just like the Ukrainians have been rotating army units to give them some combat experience. The Russians seem to be unable to put that experience to good use, maybe because the volunteers were not sent across the border as organized units.

On the other hand, the experience has made the Ukrainian army a formidable opponent, whilst many Western experts expected it to perform only slightly better than the third rate force it was in 2014.

GDS_Starfury

the maps arent the important part of the thread.

W8taminute

Very interesting Rekim.  Thanks for sharing.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Con

So another question
Russia defaults
Ruble becomes worthless.  Economy contracts massive unemployment etc etc for the next 5+ years
How does Russia maintain control of Crimea and separatists regions with a shattered economy?  Can't replace military equipment. Pay soldiers mercenaries. Put money into Crimea
If this was Distant worlds a rebuilt Ukrainian economy would readsorb them due to influence and wealth.

Con

GDS_Starfury

Uberhaus

Quote from: Con on March 13, 2022, 12:48:56 PM
So another question
Russia defaults
Ruble becomes worthless.  Economy contracts massive unemployment etc etc for the next 5+ years
How does Russia maintain control of Crimea and separatists regions with a shattered economy?  Can't replace military equipment. Pay soldiers mercenaries. Put money into Crimea
If this was Distant worlds a rebuilt Ukrainian economy would readsorb them due to influence and wealth.

Con

Russia moves closer to China.  From the Black Lord himself:  https://nationalpost.com/opinion/conrad-black-in-ukraine-the-stakes-could-not-be-higher-for-the-west
Conrad Black argues that a negotiated settlement would result in Russia moving away from China.  For the record, I will state that I don't agree with his opinion of the benefits of such a settlement.  He doesn't make it clear (for a national readership) that no matter what the outcome, Russia is a long time from any rapprochement.  However, I will use his historical acumen to support an argument that a crippled Russia falls under Chinese influence.

QuoteBelarus is in hand, and the retrieval of the Russian-speaking provinces of Ukraine would restore almost 15 per cent of that state to Russia, which would increase Russia's population and its perceived strength.
Such an outcome as this would also lead quite quickly to Russian disillusionment with the status of being a junior partner of China, a country that is notoriously overbearing and either subordinates or constantly skirmishes with neighbours whom it judges insufficiently deferential. After the relaxation of its artificial dalliance with Beijing, Russia could revert to its traditional struggle between the nativist and western emulative factions of its society. The West would then be free to pursue constructively a gradually closer relationship with Russia, with whom the West would no longer have any serious disagreements.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18