Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

jomni of the west twitter feed is where ive gotten a lot of the maps ive posted in this thread.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 15, 2022, 10:25:27 PM
jomni of the west twitter feed is where ive gotten a lot of the maps ive posted in this thread.

What's the link?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Interesting site showing photo / video of verified Russian vehicle losses.

There are a ton of them. 

Amazing how many abandoned vehicles there are. For example, 13x self-propelled artillery vehicles were just abandoned. Including 9x 152mm 2S19 Mstra-S

The site makes the point that actual totals are higher, since they only count ones with verified video or pictures.

If you click on individual listings you will see the photo.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

GDS_Starfury

and thats another feed thats excellent.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

my sideways thought is what could Poland have done if they were supplied with peer weapons when the Germans invaded?

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 15, 2022, 10:53:31 PM
my sideways thought is what could Poland have done if they were supplied with peer weapons when the Germans invaded?

I am re-reading Robert Forczyk's excellent "Case White" just because of the similarities with the current war. Interesting that the Germans had a hard time at first, and Polish resistance was pretty fierce. The Germans didn't always do well in the first week or so. Heck, even one of Guderian's panzer units ran out of gas on the first day. When the Poles had decent AT weapons, they did pretty well. They had at least a faint hope, until the Russians joined in; then the Poles were toast.

https://www.amazon.com/Case-White-Invasion-Poland-1939/dp/147283495X/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1647404137&sr=8-1

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

GDS_Starfury

a month ago I read an excellent book on that campaign but I cant remember the title and its in the bedroom where the dragon sleeps.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Con on March 15, 2022, 08:53:12 PM
https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/not-out-woods-yet-assessing-operational-situation-ukraine

going back to the main threat of this article.  I dont think, given the evidence so far, that the soviets have the logistics to pull off the encirclement.

Gusington

Interesting in that Reuters article on the Pope's response that he is just starting to inch closer to calling this a 'war' and has not called out 'Russia' by name in his speeches yet.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 15, 2022, 11:55:38 PM
Quote from: Con on March 15, 2022, 08:53:12 PM
https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/not-out-woods-yet-assessing-operational-situation-ukraine

going back to the main threat of this article.  I dont think, given the evidence so far, that the soviets have the logistics to pull off the encirclement.

Soviets, eh?  Haven't thrown those in quite yet...but they are throwing in everything but the kitchen sink -- Iskanders with sophisticated decoys (are Ukrainian antiballistic missile defenses that good?)
Apparently, those decoys have never been seen before and the US is interested in working on countermeasures using the new details of these decoys.

From the NY times:

And it is highly unlikely, he said, that the version of the Iskander that Russia has sold to other countries would contain these decoys.

"That suggests to me that the Russians place some value on keeping that technology close to home and that this war is important enough to them to give that up," Mr. Lewis said. "They're digging deep, and maybe they no longer care, but I would care if I were them."

Digging deep and maybe they no longer caring.  Not a good place to be for whoever is digging deep and yet no longer cares.

Gusington

Sky News is reporting that the Ukrainian Army's small mobile counter offensives are really screwing with the Russian Army's plans.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on March 16, 2022, 07:15:11 AM
Sky News is reporting that the Ukrainian Army's small mobile counter offensives are really screwing with the Russian Army's plans.

That's cool!  And security guarantees are the essence of the problem in stopping the war:

From CNN:

Top official rejects "neutrality" model for Ukraine without security guarantees
From Tim Lister and Julia Kesa in Lviv

A senior adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said that the country's government rejects the idea floated by Russia that Ukraine should adopt a Swedish or Austrian model of neutrality.

Mykhailo Podolyak said that Ukraine was now in a state of war with Russia, and the security model "can only be Ukrainian" with "legally verified security guarantees. And no other models or options."

"What does that mean?" he continued. "First, absolute security guarantees, which would mean that the signatories of guarantees do not stand aside in the event of an attack on Ukraine, as it is today."
Instead, they would "take an active part on the side of Ukraine in the conflict and provide us with an immediate supply of the necessary weapons."
Podolyak said: "Ukraine has never been a militaristic state that attacks or plans to attack its neighbors ...That is why today Ukraine wants to have a really strong pool of allies with clearly defined security guarantees."

Because essentially, Putin's attack guarantees that Putin will never get what he wants, even if he "wins" by destroying Ukraine.  It's not going to be "neutral" if his army is sitting in it.

Tripoli

https://www.zerohedge.com/military/us-mulls-sending-new-switchblade-kamikaze-robot-drone-ukraine

The US is considering sending small kamikaze drones to the Ukraine.  From the above article, these have a 50 mile range, and a small warhead, but IMHO, if provided in quantity (and in sufficient time) and used to target the Russian logistics, could completely snarl the Russians for months
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on March 16, 2022, 07:15:11 AM

Apparently Elon Musk really hit some nerves or something:

Dmitry Rogozin, director general of Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, responded by calling Musk a "weakling" and "little devil."

"You, little devil, are still young, Compete with me weakling; It would only be a waste of time. Overtake my brother first," Rogozin wrote. He also included the name of the 1800s Russian poem "The Tale of the Priest and of His Workman Balda," which is about a lazy priest who hires a cheap worker before the worker drives him insane.

Full coverage: Updates, analysis, commentary on Ukraine

What is Starlink? Inside the satellite business that could make Elon Musk a trillionaire

Some Ukrainian leaders praised Musk's tweet, including Vitali Klitschko, mayor of Ukraine capital Kyiv and Hall of Fame boxer, who previously vowed to fight "the bloody war" against Russia.

"I am sure that Elon Musk can send Putin to Jupiter," Ukrainian Vice Prime Minister Mykhailo Fedorov wrote before sharing a link to a website taking donations to "Send Putin to Jupiter."

MengJiao

Quote from: Tripoli on March 16, 2022, 08:45:24 AM
https://www.zerohedge.com/military/us-mulls-sending-new-switchblade-kamikaze-robot-drone-ukraine

The US is considering sending small kamikaze drones to the Ukraine.  From the above article, these have a 50 mile range, and a small warhead, but IMHO, if provided in quantity (and in sufficient time) and used to target the Russian logistics, could completely snarl the Russians for months

It's odd that they are called "kamikaze" since one doesn't call much more highly intelligent cruise missiles "Kamikaze"...Apparently, the drone has some kind of honorary consciousness since (I guess)
you can see things from its point of view.