Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 17, 2022, 09:07:18 AM
Report that the Ukrainians have been "hunting" senior Russian commanders with success.

Russian use of unsecure comms reportedly led to the death of at least one of the Russians along with his staff.

Kind of reminds me how American long-riflemen became very good at targeting British officers in the American Revolution. Similar concept...just updated technology.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-killed-a-russian-general-after-he-made-an-unsecured-call-that-gave-away-his-location-report-says/ar-AAVbLC5?ocid=undefined

From the links, it sounds like a number of staff officers were also killed.  Possibly it was an artillery strike?
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

^A fourth Russian general was killed in the last 12 hours.

Good video here on Russian military markings and what they mean:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Here is the UK MoD assessment of the conflict: https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1504336242997174274

From the slide:

-The Russian invasion of Ukraine has largely stalled on all fronts
-Russian forces have made minimal progress on land, sea or air in recent days and they continue to suffer heavy losses.
-Ukrainian resistance remains staunch and well-coordinated.  The vast majority of Ukrinian territory, including all major cities, remains in Ukrainian hands

steve58

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 17, 2022, 09:07:18 AM
Report that the Ukrainians have been "hunting" senior Russian commanders with success.

Russian use of unsecure comms reportedly led to the death of at least one of the Russians along with his staff.

Kind of reminds me how American long-riflemen became very good at targeting British officers in the American Revolution. Similar concept...just updated technology.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-killed-a-russian-general-after-he-made-an-unsecured-call-that-gave-away-his-location-report-says/ar-AAVbLC5?ocid=undefined

I saw reports last week that the Canadian sniper Wali was heading to Ukraine.  Maybe he bagged a general or two.

But now I'm seeing rumors he may have been killed.  :(
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

and heres some good news for a change.
the theater that the russians bombed yesterday, while pretty much totally destroyed, served its function as a bomb shelter pretty damn well.
the civilians that were sheltered there survived and are being rescued now as they clear debris from the entrances.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Con

I know you have all been waiting patiently but finally the Putin Downfall Meme has dropped like a badly planned VDV para drop onto a Ukrainian airfield
And yes the irony of a War to liberate a country from Nazis using Hitlers complete and utter mental breakdown to represent Russia is delicious

Pete Dero

https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/short_news/russian-ambassador-says-bih-can-join-nato-but-moscow-will-react/

Bosnia and Herzegovina has the right to decide whether or not to join NATO, Russian Ambassador to Bosnia and Herzegovina Igor Kalbukhov has said, warning, however, that Moscow reserves the right to respond to such a possibility.
"If (Bosnia and Herzegovina) decides to be a member of any alliance, that is an internal matter. Our response is a different matter. Ukraine's example shows what we expect. Should there be any threat, we will respond," Kalabukhov told the FTV entity broadcaster.

According to Kalabukhov, the West is posing a threat to Bosnia and Herzegovina's security by claiming that Russia "is allegedly preparing a plan."
"We do not have any plans. We will respond having analysed the strategic and geopolitical situation," the ambassador said. NATO membership is not a reality for BiH given the current lack of consensus on the matter in the country, he added.

JasonPratt

What was even more loopy about the Downfall meme being applied to Ukraine22, is that it could almost just as easily be applied to Ukraine43. (Or even 41 -- things started going really badly for TeamNazi really early, which goes to show that 'going badly' often still gets the job done quite far!) "Don't believe the Nazi propaganda. All lies." made me lol unexpectedly hard given the meme context.  :2funny:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, the reports of blocking forces keeping the assault forces from turning around and quitting, sounds appropriate. Russia has been doing that since at least as far back at Lenin's first few armies in 1918 (maybe longer).

Those blocking forces back then were NKVD, and the ones today are the modern equivalent of NKVD, of course. (Not that Soviet-era NKVD didn't have other jobs; they had a ludicrous number of "mobile response" divisions lined up on the 1941 border, with plans to fulfill the basic functions of Hitler's SS divisions during a successful invasion: pacification of civilian populations.)

Nowadays, the modern equivalent would be run by the organized crime oligarchs, which leads into the twitter stream of Kamil Galeev, who recently posted a long thread explaining that the Russian military has long been hamstrung and bullied by the crime gangs in order to keep the military too weak to stage uprisings against Putin and his cronies. The "Podcast of the Lotus Eaters" comments on that thread here:
. Also included is a reference to the photo-sourced track of Rus v Uks losses.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 17, 2022, 01:37:38 PM
Bosnia and Herzegovina has the right to decide whether or not to join NATO, Russian Ambassador to Bosnia and Herzegovina Igor Kalbukhov has said, warning, however, that Moscow reserves the right to respond to such a possibility.
"If (Bosnia and Herzegovina) decides to be a member of any alliance, that is an internal matter. Our response is a different matter. Ukraine's example shows what we expect. Should there be any threat, we will respond," Kalabukhov told the FTV entity broadcaster.

those fucking morons cant even take out a country on their border no less another country thats surrounded by NATO.  wtf are they smoking in the kremlin?

Tripoli

The Modern War Institute at West Point has a podcast from 2 days ago about what the battle for Kiev would look like. 

https://mwi.usma.edu/what-will-the-battle-of-kyiv-look-like/

My notes from the podcast:

•   Kiev is what the Russians estimate to be the Center of Gravity of the Operation (I'm not sure that was their original plan, but I would agree they may think so now. )
•   The Russians wanted to do a "Battle of Baghdad" type operation: Do a rush (in this case after capturing an airhead) to get a large force into the city, possibly de-capitate the government and declare victory before the city could be reinforced by forces outside.  Because they failed in this plan, the operation will devolve into a Stalingrad/Manila type operation.
•   The Russians don't have the manpower to take Kiev.  Need at least 5X the defending force, and the Ukrainians have been flowing forces in.   (I'm not sure how this relates to the Stalingrad scenario, unless he means the Russians will simply bomb Kiev into oblivion.)
•   Kiev has an extensive and deep system of underground facilities (subways, sewers, etc) so attriting the defending forces by bombardment will be difficult.

Gusington

Happy St. Paddy's Day...Sky News reports on Ireland and how the Russo-Ukraine War is affecting their traditional neutral stance:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

A few pages ago someone posted the glorious stand and epic display of cajaones that Irish fishermen made against the Russian Navy a few weeks ago...so there's that.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

its on this page and I posted it.
pass that joint Gus.