Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on March 23, 2022, 08:31:49 PM
^They washed all the mud of them too.
From newsweek:

Ukraine's armed forces have captured a "mysterious container" that could be part of one of Russia's most advanced electronic warfare (EW) systems currently in service, according to a Twitter account that monitors weapons seized or destroyed during the conflict.

Twitter user @UAWeapons shared photos of a container and a military truck, identifying the first as likely to be the command post of a 1RL257 Krasukha-4 mobile EW system.

The truck has party balloons on it so that's hard to figure out.  A party truck lost in a nightmare sleepwalking toward war?

Washington Post headline:

Top Russian military leaders repeatedly decline calls from U.S., prompting fears of 'sleepwalking into war'

JasonPratt

People keep using that term "sleepwalking" in regard to this war, cough, special operation. I don't think it means what they think it means. ;)

Especially if the reference is to WW1. The famous "sleepwalking" metaphor applied to the years of setup BEFORE the AussieHuns decided they needed to root problems (primarily the Black Hand group) out of Serbian leadership by invading. After that, it wasn't sleepwalking.

I get that there are fears (which I agree are legit) that Great Powers could start shooting directly at each other over the Ukrainian invasion, and what that would lead to: that's a WW1 parallel (so far as it goes). But at that point, no one is sleepwalking into widening the war.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 24, 2022, 07:38:21 AM
People keep using that term "sleepwalking" in regard to this war, cough, special operation. I don't think it means what they think it means. ;)

Especially if the reference is to WW1. The famous "sleepwalking" metaphor applied to the years of setup BEFORE the AussieHuns decided they needed to root problems (primarily the Black Hand group) out of Serbian leadership by invading. After that, it wasn't sleepwalking.

I get that there are fears (which I agree are legit) that Great Powers could start shooting directly at each other over the Ukrainian invasion, and what that would lead to: that's a WW1 parallel (so far as it goes). But at that point, no one is sleepwalking into widening the war.

I think the "sleepwalking" thing is supposed to apply in this case to the fact that the Russians aren't "answering the phone" so to speak -- specifically the deconfliction line they used to answer
in order to avoid having forces accidently collide and start WWIII -- you know -- "by accident".  It may be the Russians would like some accidents where they can metaphysically shoot some nukes
and then say "oops!" sorry we thought you were going to existentially annihilate us.  Or maybe not.  Who knows why they suddenly can't answer the phone.

Sir Slash

I understood the Budapest Agreement was not a formal Treaty, just an agreement/understanding. Whichever, they got screwed and should've known better. Maybe a couple of nukes could have fallen off the truck on the way out of town and later been found in the back room of the Kiev Home Depot. Just...in...case.  :-X
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 24, 2022, 11:02:11 AM
I understood the Budapest Agreement was not a formal Treaty, just an agreement/understanding. Whichever, they got screwed and should've known better. Maybe a couple of nukes could have fallen off the truck on the way out of town and later been found in the back room of the Kiev Home Depot. Just...in...case.  :-X

Would the world be any safer if that had happened?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Wow:

Russian warship destroyed in occupied port of Berdyansk, says Ukraine

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60859337

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 24, 2022, 11:07:43 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 24, 2022, 11:02:11 AM

Would the world be any safer if that had happened?
Maybe, maybe not, but Ukraine would be. And the Russians might never have attacked if Ukraine still had nukes. If that logic seems flawed, then let's get rid of all OUR nukes and see if China, Russia, India etc al change their behavior towards us.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on March 24, 2022, 11:24:02 AM
Wow:

But Putin says everything is going according to plan.

ArizonaTank

Wow:

Interesting that none of the reports tell how it was hit; strike from Shangri-La I guess (points to anyone getting the obscure WWII reference).

Saw this note on the daily situation map:  "Burning Russian Landing Ship at Berdiansk visible in satellite imagery from earlier today. Also visible are the two other Ropucha class landing ships, one sailing in circles. Various tugs and smaller craft rushing around"
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

SirAndrewD

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 24, 2022, 12:28:23 PM
Wow:

Interesting that none of the reports tell how it was hit; strike from Shangri-La I guess (points to anyone getting the obscure WWII reference).

Saw this note on the daily situation map:  "Burning Russian Landing Ship at Berdiansk visible in satellite imagery from earlier today. Also visible are the two other Ropucha class landing ships, one sailing in circles. Various tugs and smaller craft rushing around"

I would imagine they used either a rocket or drone strike.

They got a Russian corvette earlier in the war with unguided rockets and it wasn't in port. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

Quote from: solops on March 24, 2022, 12:34:00 PM
Doolittle

Bingo

During a press conference after the Doolittle raid, President Roosevelt was asked where the raid on Tokyo had come from; "our new secret base at Shangri-La" was the answer.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 24, 2022, 12:44:14 PM
Wow:

They got a Russian corvette earlier in the war with unguided rockets and it wasn't in port.

Given the size of the explosion, and that it happened in port, I was thinking truck bomb....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Sir Slash

It's been a rough week for Putin huh? And it's only Thursday.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tripoli

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 24, 2022, 01:27:10 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 24, 2022, 12:44:14 PM
Wow:

Given the size of the explosion, and that it happened in port, I was thinking truck bomb....

IMHO, those are secondary explosions from the cargo/fuel the ship was carrying. Based on the smoke plume, the fire had been going on for awhile, so the explosions aren't the initial blast
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln