Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

https://mobile.twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1506453063267241994

Fascinating claimed intercepted call from Russian officer near Mykolaiv to superiors in Russia. He says:

This is worse than Chechnya

50% of troops have frostbite

They can't evacuate the dead

Don't have enough tents

RU plane dropped a bomb on their own position

One column was hit with Grad rockets. Can't even figure out if it was friendly fire

Medics only have bandages. Can't help with frostbite

No hot stove

Digging trenched to sleep in

Commander of 49th CAA told troops on 4th day that war will be over in hours

Troops don't have body armor. When one complained to commander was told "son, be strong"

This special operation is a "madhouse"

Being told not to destroy buildings - it's insanity. Unless we destroy everything and turn into dirt along with the civilians, nothing can happen

TV says we are moving forward. But we just drive through without clearing up villages. And now we have to defend from all sides because they are attacking everywhere

They thought this would be like a parade ride

Our task was to get to Mykolaiv. And we are sitting here
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

ArizonaTank

Ex-American marine now fighting for Ukraine gives impressions of combat. Very intense. Russians are unimaginative and inflexible. Tanks are toast.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-s-three-to-one-advantage/ar-AAVs68c?ocid=msedgntp

Also, some interesting thoughts from Nicholas Moran from "Inside the Chieftain's Hatch" on what the videos coming out of Ukraine don't tell us. His first point is that in his opinion, the day of the tank is not over...granted the man is an ex-US Armor Company Commander...so he is biased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9pVEP0AzZ4

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tripoli on March 24, 2022, 01:37:14 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 24, 2022, 01:27:10 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 24, 2022, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 24, 2022, 12:28:23 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 24, 2022, 11:24:02 AM
Wow:

Russian warship destroyed in occupied port of Berdyansk, says Ukraine

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60859337

Interesting that none of the reports tell how it was hit; strike from Shangri-La I guess (points to anyone getting the obscure WWII reference).

Saw this note on the daily situation map:  "Burning Russian Landing Ship at Berdiansk visible in satellite imagery from earlier today. Also visible are the two other Ropucha class landing ships, one sailing in circles. Various tugs and smaller craft rushing around"

I would imagine they used either a rocket or drone strike.

They got a Russian corvette earlier in the war with unguided rockets and it wasn't in port.

Given the size of the explosion, and that it happened in port, I was thinking truck bomb....

IMHO, those are secondary explosions from the cargo/fuel the ship was carrying. Based on the smoke plume, the fire had been going on for awhile, so the explosions aren't the initial blast

Good point...I missed that...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Con

Gusington

And only a 78% thumbs up rating.

'Needs more tractors.'  :2funny:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

This is a 2019 article on Nato/Russian arty.

The key to todays conflict is that Ukraine is pushing the Russians back more than 40km from Kyiv.  If they achieve this that means the Russians in order to put their doctrine of shelling cities will need to use more missiles and aircraft launched bombs.  These are then countered by the air systems that NATO is supplying and the sanctions crippling the ability to replenish expensive missiles as their stocks are drawn down.

The logistics game of chess continues!

https://finabel.org/long-live-the-king-of-battle-the-return-to-centrality-of-artillery-in-warfare-and-its-consequences-on-the-military-balance-in-europe/

GDS_Starfury

from what Ive read the ships were hit with missiles.  the great news is that its not 1 but 2 ships sunk.  the 2nd left pierside on fire and seems to have sunk.   :bd:  rt was reporting missile strikes on the port a few days ago so the Ukrainians just kept at it until they hit something.  theres also russian drone footage a few days old showing the ship unloading BTRs and munitions.

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 24, 2022, 06:03:37 PM
from what Ive read the ships were hit with missiles.  the great news is that its not 1 but 2 ships sunk.  the 2nd left pierside on fire and seems to have sunk.   :bd:  rt was reporting missile strikes on the port a few days ago so the Ukrainians just kept at it until they hit something.  theres also russian drone footage a few days old showing the ship unloading BTRs and munitions.

I believe they used that footage to estimate the ships location.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Con

GDS_Starfury

it also seems to be a main source of russian logistic support so just going for the docks regardless is a good idea.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

Con

I saw this on a tweet - thought it was worth replicating.

POV - You are a Russian tanker.
Your T72 is out of fuel
The snow is picking up
Night time approaches
.........You hear tractors

SirAndrewD

Well, in silver linings for this, I may be getting my first ancillary DoD job out of this as a supplement to my main work.

Might not be able to post in this thread any longer. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

And just like that, the Grogheads get an inside man.   :coolsmiley:

(I kid, DoD background checkers, I kid...)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao