Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

FarAway Sooner

Just as a historical aside, this was a PR stunt dreamed up by the US Department of Navy in early 1942 because they were doing such a crappy job of slowing down the half-dozen or so German U-boats operating off America's East Coast in any given month. 

While it's possible that loose lips did sink ships in WW II, when the USN coined this slogan (at the height of their asses kicked in the first six months of the war), they did not possess any intelligence suggesting that any Allied ships were lost due to spies relaying info to U-boats.  Truth of the matter was, those U-boats were cruising in such a target rich environment, they didn't need to pursue any single ship.

A great book on the topic is Operation Drumbeat, by Michael Gannon.

Quote from: Con on March 24, 2022, 06:22:01 PM
Still applies

ArizonaTank

Russian Brigade Commander reportedly intentionally run over by his own troops...  fragging by another name...

Bad news for Russia if true...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/russian-brigade-commander-killed-deliberately-by-his-own-troops-over-staggering-losses-in-ukraine-report
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Tripoli

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 25, 2022, 01:03:39 PM
Russian Brigade Commander reportedly intentionally run over by his own troops...  fragging by another name...

Bad news for Russia if true...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/russian-brigade-commander-killed-deliberately-by-his-own-troops-over-staggering-losses-in-ukraine-report

Brings to mind this little gem:

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

ArizonaTank

Signs of cracks in the Russian state run TV narrative?

....Political analyst Vitaly Tretyakov concluded: "The situation is serious... We have to admit that there was no psychological breakthrough in our operation, where the opposing side would lose their will to resist... The resistance from the Ukrainian side is neither stopping nor weakening." Tretyakov pointed out that despite the Russian media's attempted depictions of Zelensky as a drug addict, he is being perceived by the West as a leader of a country that has been attacked. He also questioned the wisdom of "liberating" Ukrainians who don't seem to want to be "liberated" and vehemently hate seeing the Russian troops on their territory. Tretyakov noted the unwavering determination of Western leaders to "squeeze" the Russian economy by imposing punishing sanctions.

Host, Olga Skabeeva, was visibly rattled by the depressing realities brought to the forefront by Tretyakov's comments. She sniped: "So you sprinkled the ashes all over your head, but what do we do now? What's our plan? Everything is bad, nothing is working out?" Skabeeva angrily questioned whether Tretyakov had anything to offer aside from criticism. After he pointed out that societies tend to get tired of any military campaigns rather quickly, Skabeeva argued: "If you're tired, that doesn't mean that everyone else is tired." Visibly angered, she repeatedly shouted at Tretyakov, questioning his support for the Russian military and telling the pundit that his commentary "has a smell of something untoward."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/kremlin-tv-descends-into-screaming-match-over-putin-s-war-failures/ar-AAVuWLa?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=eff9bdb34d1744deb203c3cc8267b740

Further cracks in Russian resolve:

Russia scaling back war aims to focus on Donbass region and not western Ukraine. Russian Defense Ministry says "Phase One" of the "Special Military Operation" is complete.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-defense-ministry-says-it-will-focus-on-liberating-the-donbas-region-in-eastern-ukraine-as-invading-troops-remain-stalled/ar-AAVuG7M?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9b264a35df54458ea67f2c78ab31ca1a
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Jarhead0331

^They are probably looking forward to death at this point.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MengJiao

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 25, 2022, 02:23:59 PM
Signs of cracks in the Russian state run TV narrative?

....Political analyst Vitaly Tretyakov concluded: "The situation is serious... We have to admit that there was no psychological breakthrough in our operation, where the opposing side would lose their will to resist... The resistance from the Ukrainian side is neither stopping nor weakening." Tretyakov pointed out that despite the Russian media's attempted depictions of Zelensky as a drug addict, he is being perceived by the West as a leader of a country that has been attacked. He also questioned the wisdom of "liberating" Ukrainians who don't seem to want to be "liberated" and vehemently hate seeing the Russian troops on their territory. Tretyakov noted the unwavering determination of Western leaders to "squeeze" the Russian economy by imposing punishing sanctions.

Host, Olga Skabeeva, was visibly rattled by the depressing realities brought to the forefront by Tretyakov's comments. She sniped: "So you sprinkled the ashes all over your head, but what do we do now? What's our plan? Everything is bad, nothing is working out?" Skabeeva angrily questioned whether Tretyakov had anything to offer aside from criticism. After he pointed out that societies tend to get tired of any military campaigns rather quickly, Skabeeva argued: "If you're tired, that doesn't mean that everyone else is tired." Visibly angered, she repeatedly shouted at Tretyakov, questioning his support for the Russian military and telling the pundit that his commentary "has a smell of something untoward."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/kremlin-tv-descends-into-screaming-match-over-putin-s-war-failures/ar-AAVuWLa?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=eff9bdb34d1744deb203c3cc8267b740

Further cracks in Russian resolve:

Russia scaling back war aims to focus on Donbass region and not western Ukraine. Russian Defense Ministry says "Phase One" of the "Special Military Operation" is complete.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-defense-ministry-says-it-will-focus-on-liberating-the-donbas-region-in-eastern-ukraine-as-invading-troops-remain-stalled/ar-AAVuG7M?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9b264a35df54458ea67f2c78ab31ca1a

This just gets stranger and stranger.  Okay, at first glance the Donbas as a reasonable target makes better sense than overrunning all of Ukraine, but this still leaves the huge problem that
the war has no workable endpoint if Ukraine can't get some guarantees that the Russians won't just attack them again next time they get a metaphysical itch.  An obvious deal would be:
Russia gets some territory in the Donbas and Ukraine joins NATO.  Of course, that's never going to happen so switching targets to no more than occupying the Donbas actually probably will only
prolong the war as Russia pulverizes the Donbas -- because -- well now it seems that is what they want and that will apparently satisfy the current metaphysical itchiness.  Of course it might take
years to sufficiently level everything in the Donbas, but at least it is a smaller target area.

ooops... I guess it might take 40 years according to Russian estimates:

Today, it can be clearly predicted that we will have to remain in Ukraine for 30-40 years.

W8taminute

I'm shaking my head over this whole thing. 

So the whole invasion of Ukraine thing was supposed to be over in just a few days because you know, Russian army vs. Ukraine army no contest right?

Now their throwing hissy fits on Russian TV about the embarrassing failure of Ukraine.
Russian top military commanders dying left and right.
Russian vehicles blowing up left and right.
Russian ships sinking left and right.

One would think Russia would just quit while they're ahead.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ArizonaTank

Russia has put forward the narrative that 'Ukraine is not a thing...just a part of Russia'. And this narrative has been repeated in certain circles in the West.

The "Great War" team has put together a very good mini-documentary on the history of Ukraine as a sovereign nation. Anyone who has seen any of the "Great War" team's stuff, knows these guys are pretty even-keeled.

The bottom-line is that Ukraine was an independent sovereign nation-state after the Russian Empire broke apart over 100 years ago. The Russian Bolshevik armies forcibly took it over after the 1920 Russo-Polish War.

The video is a little long and the history itself meanders, but worth the time if you have interest. As a side-note, I highly recommend the Great War channel...some really good stuff there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gwuu7TXPwI
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Pete Dero

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 17, 2022, 12:07:05 PM
and heres some good news for a change.
the theater that the russians bombed yesterday, while pretty much totally destroyed, served its function as a bomb shelter pretty damn well.
the civilians that were sheltered there survived and are being rescued now as they clear debris from the entrances.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/25/mariupol-theatre-bombing-killed-300-ukrainian-officials-say
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/25/europe/ukraine-mariupol-theater-dead-intl/index.html

About 300 people are believed to have died in a Russian attack on a theater in Mariupol nine days ago, the city council has said, citing eyewitness reports.

War doesn't give you much good news.

Windigo

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on March 23, 2022, 11:38:28 AM
So, silver lining....?

???

for a few decades anyway

see that's the main causal issue; we are releasing CO2 that was trapped and captured millions of years ago by plants and stored as coal and oil. We are now releasing that captured CO2 at very high rates, far faster than mother nature can store it away (takes on average a couple hundred years for it to be stored away) so the CO2 in the atmosphere is going up...
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

al_infierno

Homemade combat drone bombs a Russian position.  Now the world's second-largest military is getting dunked on by some STEM kids with cardboard, tape, and gatorade bottles.   :dreamer:

https://old.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/tnx9x0/homemade_combat_drone_works_on_russian_positions/

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 25, 2022, 04:20:58 PM
Russia has put forward the narrative that 'Ukraine is not a thing...just a part of Russia'. And this narrative has been repeated in certain circles in the West.

The "Great War" team has put together a very good mini-documentary on the history of Ukraine as a sovereign nation. Anyone who has seen any of the "Great War" team's stuff, knows these guys are pretty even-keeled.

The bottom-line is that Ukraine was an independent sovereign nation-state after the Russian Empire broke apart over 100 years ago. The Russian Bolshevik armies forcibly took it over after the 1920 Russo-Polish War.

The video is a little long and the history itself meanders, but worth the time if you have interest. As a side-note, I highly recommend the Great War channel...some really good stuff there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gwuu7TXPwI

Great link, thanks for posting
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao