Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, shooting that T-34... I also wonder if that was done deliberately to mess with local honor memorials.

I lol'd surprisingly hard at the quip about how somewhere a turret is practicing extreme social distancing! -- and I notice there's a cannon barrel mid-right edge of the photo which is doing the same thing, all by itself over there.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on March 30, 2022, 08:45:30 AM
^Good post Meng. Interesting what you say about Turkey. I know Erdogan would claim that Turkey is already a regional power in the area. Maybe this war will see them rise even higher?

Things seem to be moving some in the Levant (a nice medieval French term for the near-middle east).  While Turkey, Ukraine and Russia were meeting in Istambul, Israel, the US, Morroco, Egypt and
some gulf states (Excluding Iran, Syria and Turkey) were meeting at Ben Gurion's old kubbutz.  They even made a pilgrimage to his grave.

Anyway, Turkey really needs for this war to stop -- moreso than anyone outside of the immediate participants and Belarus.  On the upside, if they can broker the peace, they are in a great position: neutralize the Russians in Syria, cool things down with Iran, keep running its
non-NATO policies (they aren't sanctioning Russia or anything like that) while benefitting from being in NATO, and sell a lot of its drone technology.

Sir Slash

I heard on FOX this morning that Lavrov is heading to China. He had been headed there about a week ago but his plane was recalled to show Russian displeasure over China allowing video of Russian snipers killing Ukrainian citizens in a bread line to be broadcast. So...cracks in the alliance?  ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Not to be a nit picker or anything but that doesn't look like a T-34 to me. 

The rear wheel sprocket looks wrong for it to be a T-34.  The double barrel muzzle brake on the gun looks more like either an IS-2, IS-3, or T10M. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 30, 2022, 10:23:28 AM
I heard on FOX this morning that Lavrov is heading to China. He had been headed there about a week ago but his plane was recalled to show Russian displeasure over China allowing video of Russian snipers killing Ukrainian citizens in a bread line to be broadcast. So...cracks in the alliance?  ^-^

Cracks in several fantasy worlds?  Brett Stephens the op-ed man thinks Putin's "plan" is working (maybe).  The Chinese would like to know how Russia has such a crappy army and such crappy missiles
and so on.  The Russians would like some stuff that actually works (which the Chinese probably would like to keep for themselves
in case of a real war and not a Putin-esque fantasy war and not have shot at maternity hospitals and shopping centers).  Weirdly enough (and sort of a monkey-wrench in the notion that
Putin's plan is working), Putin may not even have a non-fantasy picture of his fantasy war because he has been systematically misinformed by his own military and intelligence agencies from
well before the war:

US official: "We believe that Putin is being misinformed" about Russian military performance
From CNN's Jeremy Diamond

The US believes that Russian President Vladimir Putin is being "misinformed" by his advisers about how badly the Russian military is performing in Ukraine and the impact of sanctions on Russia's economy, a US official tells CNN.

"We believe that Putin is being misinformed by his advisers about how badly the Russian military is performing and how the Russian economy is being crippled by sanctions, because his senior advisers are too afraid to tell him the truth," a US official said.
The official said the assessment is based on declassified US intelligence findings.

The official added that the US has information indicating that Putin has become aware of the misinformation, leading to a rift between Putin and his top defense officials.

Okay so what does that suggest about how Putin's plan is working?  We have plan A:  Putin planned long ago (well...last year?) to be systematically misinformed by his intelligence team.
I guess in the Op-ed world that might seem like a good plan.  But is it really a plan?  What is it a plan for?  or For what would it be a plan?  It definitely seems to have worked.  No matter what
happens, Plan A works and Putin has no real idea what is going on.
What about Plan B?  Well, plan B would be that Putin has some kind of plan.  Let's call having some kind of a plan, Plan B.  In Plan B, Putin plans on being informed of real events.  So Plan B
has failed.  i guess from the Op-ed point of view the failure of Plan B could be considered trivial -- sure, we all fail occasionally to be correctly informed of real events.
So we have Plan C...the Op-ed idea of "Putin's Plan" (that might be working) despite or because of the failure or trivial failure of Plan B.
Okay so...Plan C:  Putin doesn't know about the status of Plans A and B at least when he starts plan C (we now know that he appears to have discovered something fishy about plans
A and B...in Op-ed terms I guess the failures of plans A B and C just shows how flexible Putin is...how focused he is on...something that is working -- which no one except maybe Brett
Stephens can comprehend in an Op-ed kind of way at least), but then he finds out he has been misinformed.
Okay so since we know for sure that Plans A, B and C have failed, Putin must be on plan D at least.  This plan we assume might be working, assuming anyone has bothered to inform him
of any real events.  So Putin has probably gotten that far and succeeded against the odds in finding out that maybe his army is falling apart, that his missiles don't work, his own intelligence
agencies have misled him for months at least and the Chinese want to know what's going on.  Time for Plan E: the Donbas and maybe some gassy areas....yep, that's the plan, maybe.

steve58

Quote from: al_infierno on March 30, 2022, 02:24:00 AM
Ukrainian 152-mm D-20 (sorry, don't know the best way to resize these) [I was bored so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Added width=500 to the img commands.  That seems to override the other width option from reddit].

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

JasonPratt

^ Yep! -- that is the way. {Mando theme intensifies}

Re T-34 vs IS-2... well, an IS-2 (or better) might explain how the tank was 'only' cracked in half!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Yeah, those IS series were tough! 

Anyway upon further inspection I realized that T-34's don't have either muzzle brakes or flash suppressors on them so again that image of that wrecked tank is not a T-34.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: W8taminute on March 30, 2022, 10:29:28 AM

The rear wheel sprocket looks wrong for it to be a T-34.  The double barrel muzzle brake on the gun looks more like either an IS-2, IS-3, or T10M.

I will repeat myself again:

QuoteIm laughing that the T-34 took the hit, and while cracking in half, held together way better then most current russian tanks Ive seen.
also of note is the wrecked track in front is one of two destroyed SPGs in the picture.

the tank on the pedestal is a T-34/85. 
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: W8taminute on March 30, 2022, 10:29:28 AM

I will repeat myself again:

the tank on the pedestal is a T-34/85.  the other 2 wrecks are russian SPGs.

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 29, 2022, 08:56:17 PM
another photo of 80 years of russian armor.

odd that they wasted ammo on the T-34.

The tank on the pedestal is a T-34/85.

This pic was taken near the train station in the town of Trostyanets near Sumy. I was able to find the Google street view of the same location. The street view was taken in 2015, and many of the same buildings are visible. The tank is clearly a T-34/85. The monument commemorates the town's liberation from the Germans in 1943.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.4815304,34.9664687,3a,41.9y,119.17h,87.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVV_HfQVte18tUhgxcdpRjQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e4

The town of Trostyanets was taken by the Russian's on Feb 24th and after more than a month of Russian occupation, was just liberated by Ukrainian forces.

Here is a nice video from Radio Free Europe that interviews some of the town inhabitants. And shows some of the Russian equipment. The T-34/85 can be seen briefly in the background of the last interview (video location 5:52). You can also see the very burned out SPG in the foreground of the original shot, but the video is from the front of the vehicle (video location 5:13).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-tp97V2QG0
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

W8taminute

^^Well that just goes to show you that I need glasses!

ArizonaTank

The Ukrainians are saying that they beat an "elite" Russian tank division at Myrhorod. This battle was part of Ukrainian offensive operations that was one of their most important victories so far. 

The Ukrainians captured a handful of T-80s, that the Ukrainians say are only issued to elite Russian units. The Russian unit defeated here was reportedly the Russian 4th Guards Tank Division.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/3/29/2088757/-Ukraine-update-The-story-of-Russia-s-4th-Armored-division-and-Ukraine-s-biggest-victory-to-date

The article is a little confusing since it seems to be talking about something that happened recently, but the timestamps on some of the videos go back a while.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: W8taminute on March 30, 2022, 06:48:50 PM
^^Well that just goes to show you that I need glasses!

Nah...you are good. It was hard to make out in the clutter of the original picture. It only became obvious to me once I saw the Google street view shot.

Seeing the Google street view was also sad...you can see how much devastation there has been in the before/after views.

I think those frozen Russian assets are going to come in handy.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

al_infierno

Random aside, but I rewatched Red Dawn the other night and couldn't help noticing the Wolverines' school colors are blue and yellow.  Talk about prescience!  🤔
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao