Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 30, 2022, 06:58:07 PM

The article is a little confusing since it seems to be talking about something that happened recently, but the timestamps on some of the videos go back a while.

Well...whatever happened to the GTD4 apparently took place over more than a month.  They made their initial push to the T-town (Trostyanets) that was just recaptured and where the GTD4 took its most recent beating.
So the initial move on the 24th of Feb or so.  And then two more penetrations south of Sumy after which they started to run into trouble on the 9th of March, at which point they might have been increasingly
isolated and not well-supplied.  Somewhere around early March also there seems to have been a rather mysterious progressive breakdown in the entire command control system running the war.  Anyway, after whatever went wrong on the 9th at Myrhorod, they seem to have spent around 20 days slowly collapsing while shooting HE at Sumy and then they were finally rendered hors de combat as Trostyanets fell and apparently the GDT4 was withdrawn to be rebuilt as the Russian army began to take a more realistic view of what was happening.  Maybe somebody finally informed the high command that things were not going very well.

Gusington

I watched the original Red Dawn with my younger daughter about a month ago when this started and did not notice that the high school colors are indeed blue and yellow. That is f'ing awesome.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: MengJiao on March 30, 2022, 07:35:03 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 30, 2022, 06:58:07 PM

The article is a little confusing since it seems to be talking about something that happened recently, but the timestamps on some of the videos go back a while.

Well...whatever happened to the GTD4 apparently took place over more than a month.  They made their initial push to the T-town (Trostyanets) that was just recaptured and where the GTD4 took its most recent beating.
So the initial move on the 24th of Feb or so.  And then two more penetrations south of Sumy after which they started to run into trouble on the 9th of March, at which point they might have been increasingly
isolated and not well-supplied.  Somewhere around early March also there seems to have been a rather mysterious progressive breakdown in the entire command control system running the war.  Anyway, after whatever went wrong on the 9th at Myrhorod, they seem to have spent around 20 days slowly collapsing while shooting HE at Sumy and then they were finally rendered hors de combat as Trostyanets fell and apparently the GDT4 was withdrawn to be rebuilt as the Russian army began to take a more realistic view of what was happening.  Maybe somebody finally informed the high command that things were not going very well.

Your time line would explain it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Welp, I've played enough Heroes and Generals riding around in a T-34/85 to know how much differently it looks from being upgraded to that model, and I still didn't catch it.

Also, perhaps relatedly, my new glasses (which I've been trying to get since January) continue to fail, and now I'm on to hardline bifocals next month.  :buck2: Guess I shouldn't complain: technology exists for my eyes, so it could be a lot worse! Come to think of it, this smiley would be more appropriate:  :nerd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

I remember in the late 1970's going to my local library and borrowing every volume of Marshall Cavendish's Encyclopedia of WW2.  In it were drawings of aircraft, ships, and tanks.  Those images are forever burned into my mind.  I can still see that sideview of a T34/85 drawing in my mind even though I haven't seen that particular volume in the series in well over 35 years.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Rekim

Looking forward to enjoying this out on the deck this summer. Not many tanks warrant a 500 page book, but the T-34 certainly qualifies. Should be in a similar state to W8 by the time I'm done.

GDS_Starfury

just to go sideways for a moment, check out RZM for quality WW2 books.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Ill just leave the tagline.

7 busses with Russian soldiers suffering from Acute Radiation Syndrome have arrived to a hospital in Belarus from the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone in Ukraine.

They allegedly dug trenches in the highly radioactive Red Forest

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MikeGER

Quote from: Gusington on March 30, 2022, 09:52:21 PM
Jesus Christ.

^i hope none of them mutates into a super soldier  ;)

i already see a bad Russian b-movie on the horizon, where Conscript Pjotr, after inhalating some radioactive dust, tranforms into "Z-man"
who then goes on a mision to fight against evil NAziTO troups, who are about to grab Königsberg (atm slured as Kaliningrad) where those want to excavate a magical item once hidden by the Teutonic Knigts order around 1255 ...       

;)

Dammit Carl!

Stands to reason (and a position I could see taking if I were in charge) that if Russia is on the back foot in such an immense way, Ukraine would press to push them totally from their territory to include areas prior occupied.  Wonder if there is any movement of civilians from these areas back into Russia prior to such a thing possibly happening.

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on March 31, 2022, 09:25:13 AM
Stands to reason (and a position I could see taking if I were in charge) that if Russia is on the back foot in such an immense way, Ukraine would press to push them totally from their territory to include areas prior occupied.  Wonder if there is any movement of civilians from these areas back into Russia prior to such a thing possibly happening.

Maybe, but since the Russian problems seem to be generated from the top down, you just don't know how the Russians are going to react.  For example, there never seems to have been an overall commander or even a real overall plan.  Putin would appear to have been in charge of the invasion but since apparently he had no realistic intel and no real reports on what was going on = that's no
one in charge.  Or to look at it another way, there's no way to get inside the Russian decision/reaction cycle because there isn't one.  Things might be changing and there seems to be some kind of very belated
response to at least some events but maybe that's an illusion.  Moreover, since it seems Putin is not going to appoint an overall commander and since Putin has no real idea what is going on, the Russians
might get organized somewhere to do something or maybe not.  Given all that, it might be just as well for the Ukrainians to push the Russians out pretty slowly all over the place since you might not want to
get them to focus on anything.  The last thing you want to to is hit them hard in some sensitive spot and get that brought to Putin's notice. 
And given all that...one nice plan for the Ukrainians would be to pretend to be getting all panic-stricken about some Russian activity of little or no real importance and start negotiating like crazy
to say stop the bombing of food storage areas and then just go on with the war, very slowly taking ground and very carefully wiping out little nips of Russians here and there.
After all, as long as Putin's plans are working (at least in his mind) apparently you can exterminate his army and his mercenaries and everything is fine -- just don't do it in such a way that he finds out about it.

JasonPratt

I've kept hearing occasionally this week that Putin has now moved his family and key ministers to his nuclear war bunker, but as far as I know that comes from one MSNBC source some days ago...  ??? Don't know what to believe about that.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I'd buy a ticket to see, "Z Man" for sure.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.