Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: al_infierno on April 15, 2022, 04:01:42 PM
This looks like a metal album cover.   \m/

"Sabaton!  Message for Sabaton!"

solops

Tanks are just part of the weapons mix. When mis-used they are a liability, like sending foot infantry, alone, across miles of open plains. Properly supported in the right terrain, tanks can be a terror.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

al_infierno

Bolt Thrower never felt more appropriate.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

I have doubts if this is real.
what say yee?

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

FarAway Sooner

Doesn't look like stormy seas to me.  However, the Pentagon has confirmed that it was two hits with Neptune missiles.  For whatever that's worth.

GDS_Starfury

Im pretty sure its fake.  Im leaving it up because its fun to watch.

Uberhaus

Noise of the explosion travels faster than speed of sound.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

I found this comment on twitter and just cant stop laughing.

Someone once wrote to me, if they attack Nato, they gonna find out why there is no free health care in the USA.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

for whatever its worth, I think this is one of the defining images of this war.

Tripoli

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 15, 2022, 11:07:02 PM
I have doubts if this is real.
what say yee?

I think the might be a Ropucha-class LSD, or some other similar LSD-type amphibious ship. I've taken a screen shot and sharpened the image.

First, the ship does not appear to be underway (or is going very slowly), as there is no bow wake, or disturbance near the stern (arrows 1).  Second, the bow of the image in the video appears to draw sharply upward (arrow 2).  This could be an optical illusion made by the SS-N-12 launchers.  However, I think it is more likely that it is the upward draw of an amphibous ship, like the Ropucha-class.

Third, what appears to be the the funnel of the ship appears to be higher than any other element of the superstructure, and the top of the funnel "tumble home" (falls inward), like a Ropucha does.  In contrast, the Slava has a straight funnel.  See

for a stern image of a Slava class cruiser and

for the Ropucha, showing the relatively higher stack and its "tumble home". 

I'm not sold on it being a Ropucha.  The stern well deck area  looks different.  Further, I'm not sure any Ropucha's have been used in live fire SINKEXs, which (based on the fact the ship does not appear to be underway) is what this video may be from.  Of note, if this is a SINKEX, the ship may appear slightly different in terms of armament and masts, as these are sometimes taken off for use in other ships before sinking the hulk.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Tripoli

FWIW, we now know a little bit about the location of the engagement.  Based on satellite images, the Moskva was at  45°10'43.39″N, 30°55'30.54″E, "This position is east of Snake Island, 80 nautical miles from Odesa and 50 nautical miles from the Ukrainian coast. "

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/04/satellite-image-pinpoints-russian-cruiser-moskva-as-she-burned/
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Pete Dero

Nataliya Vasilyeva, Moscow correspondent for The Telegraph (UK) :

It's been more than 48hrs since the Moskva sank with 500 people aboard. We still haven't seen any photos/videos of the rescued crew.
What is most stunning we haven't seen a single wife or mother going public about the loss, demanding answers from the Russian government.

I've been covering Russia for 14 and I have seen space for public debate shrinking every year and people getting increasingly scared of speaking out but the level of fear we're seeing now is unmatched.

Today Putin signed a law that introduces fines for Russians from 1,000 to 5,000 rubles or arrest for up to 15 days for publicly identifying the role of the USSR and Nazi Germany in World War II.