Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: MengJiao on April 22, 2022, 09:10:15 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 22, 2022, 08:03:14 AM
You mean, even though the invaders are actually in (this war's version of) 'Stalingrad' now, and are declaring victory at last, they haven't really captured the city??  :D

So, at the cost of ruining what's left of most of his standing army and air force, losing his cap ship, pissing off the Cossacks beyond all rational comprehension, and goosing literally everyone else on his border to join NATO or die, Putin gets a dubiously controlled land route directly from the Donbas separatists republics to the Crimea (and I guess a dubiously controlled new port area). "We are the wictory!"  :bd:  :hide:

Well, you'd think they would "declare victory" some time soon, if only to work on reducing the overall damage to the Russian economy and so on.  But is there a "logical" stopping place?  Especially given that the Ukrainians are building up and the Russians are possibly at their peak effective strength?  Obviously all the HE hurled into Kharkiv for example is purely for show since the Russians are being driven back from around Kharkiv even if they finally overran what the Ukrainians left that was likely to be cut off between Izium and the LNR-DNR.  Stopping a few weeks ago or not attacking at all would have been better and stopping now would be better than stopping in a few weeks -- but can they stop themselves before things get even worse and China fronts for Russia like China does for North Korea?
Apparently they aren't going to be able to stop until the Ukrainians start pushing them back all over the place and at that point it will really be too late for them to get any kind of a deal or save any face or save their army or their regime or their economy or any credibility or keeping anyone out of NATO.  Hopefully, the Chinese will get them to stop and get a deal or two before then and right about now would be a good time for that so obviously they aren't going to stop any time soon no matter how many victories they declare.

Victory declarations are only for internal use.  Doesn't work if you're not brainwashed.

jamus34

Well, there's always "moral victories"

Or maybe the Russian government is giving out participation awards.
Insert witty comment here.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

al_infierno

Even assuming each one has a body bag is probably generous.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: MengJiao on April 22, 2022, 09:10:15 AM
  Well, you'd think they would "declare victory" some time soon, if only to work on reducing the overall damage to the Russian economy and so on.  But is there a "logical" stopping place? 

For the Russians, they likely have an end point in mind.  If they can achieve it is up in the air but there is a way they can "win" and still achieve a lot of their goals in the long term. 

If they can seize and occupy at least some of the major natural gas reserves in Eastern Ukraine, that's a start.   In the south, building a land bridge, securing fresh water sources to help save Crimea from it's massive soil salinization problems and land lock Ukraine would, conceivably give Russia a pretty fair cause to claim a victory and stop. 

Achieving those goals could conceivably wreck Ukraine's economy and stifle it's growth trajectory enough that at least, they'd be unable to continue to be a "threat" to Russian regional dominance.  Maybe even with pressure and time the Russians could effect some kind of covert regime change if the Ukrainian economy falters enough.

All speculation though.  But I'd wager that these are the ideal war goals for Russia to achieve and if they do achieve them, they will end their "special operation". 

The issue of course is that the Ukrainians have something to say about it.  Every day they get stronger and the Russians get weaker.  We've already seen they now have at least some armor superiority over the Russians in numbers.  Manpower is likely also starting to tilt in favor of the Ukrainians.  Morale is totally on their side by this stage. 

The Russians would probably have to at least partly mobilize reserves in order to bring fresh troops and reserve equipment in to guarantee a victory.  They don't seem willing to do that.  They want to win on the cheap and they're stuck on that path now.  Putin can't hide the damage if he mobilizes the reserves, and it'd take months to get them in fighting shape anyway.  This isn't WWI where the European powers had turned mobilization into an art form.  As was said before, we don't even know if the Russian reserve equipment is even combat capable and how much if can ever even be made so again. 

The most dangerous thing for Russia is that they are fighting a "Special Operation" with limited commitment.  Ukraine is fighting their Great Patriotic War with every ounce of their manpower and national will.   That calculus is extremely hard to overcome.

We'll know by May 9.  I imagine whatever scenario exists by then save the complete rout of the Russian Army, Putin will declare victory at May Day. 

The problem for the Russians is that even if they're willing to quit, are the Ukrainians? 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

seems the soviets are having a problem with fires suddenly.
TsNIIMash, Russian rocket and spacecraft scientific center
The College of Aerospace Engineering and Technology
and supposedly russia's biggest chemical solvents factory
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

^Beginnings of a new Russian Revolution?

If Russia pulls out of Ukraine completely then I can't see the Ukrainians invading Russia in return.

That said I can't see the Russians pulling out of Ukraine completely...maybe ever.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

^ I could never see the Ukrainians invade Russia proper.  I could see them fight hard to take back the eastern provinces and Crimea. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Maybe some lunatic would want a 'buffer against Russia' and take Belgorod.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Probably less pissed off Russians setting fires, and more "we're finally using this sh!t at full capacity for the first time in decades and it's only now becoming apparent that years of skims and kickbacks have reduced maintenance budgets to nil"
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 22, 2022, 02:49:23 PM
^ I could never see the Ukrainians invade Russia proper.

I guess at that moment they would lose the support they have right now and it would make Russia invoke their nuclear doctrine (home country under attack).

Plus they don't have the equipment and manpower to do that.

al_infierno

- MengJiao

Gusington

^That would be very useful for me.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd