Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

A new low...Russian troops threatening to kill a captured Ukrainian soldier unless they are paid a ransom by the Ukrainian soldier's family...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-troops-allegedly-demand-prisoner-s-mom-pay-ransom-to-stop-execution/ar-AAWzdgr?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6586e2a8bf6040a1bf9c4f7eee6cf241

So when gangsters take over the government of a country...you get Putin's Russia...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

Gusington

Tractors will probably become Ukraine's greatest export when this is over. Tractors and farmers.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

the tractors Ive seen are all John Deere.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Uberhaus

Quote from: al_infierno on April 24, 2022, 08:53:07 PM
Holy sh!t that's a good quote.   :timeout:
Thanks, a bit of trench humour.  It captures the ridiculousness of the security forces, but I do feel a bit of shame at the same time as to what the protestors will face.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Quote from: steve58 on April 25, 2022, 04:43:16 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 25, 2022, 04:07:02 PM
...and explosions reported in...Moldova:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/04/25/world/ukraine-russia-war-news#explosions-hit-transnistria-a-russian-allied-region-of-ukraine-amid-fears-of-a-new-front-in-the-war

I get the feeling this was an event planned way back when Putin thought that taking Ukraine was going to be a walk in the парк...

Today's ISW report (available here: https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-25) claims that
"Russian forces likely conducted a false flag attack in Transnistria (Russia's illegally occupied territory in Moldova) to amplify Russian claims of anti-Russian sentiment in Moldova, but Transnistrian forces remain unlikely to enter the war in Ukraine."
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 25, 2022, 04:10:18 PM
the tractors Ive seen are all John Deere.

"The weapons the West is sending to Ukraine is really making the situation worse for us." -- Putin

>:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

More explosions in Moldova this morning, this time targeting radio antennas that broadcast Russian programs.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/moldova-explosions-russia-next-target
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Windigo

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 25, 2022, 03:05:00 PM
A new low...Russian troops threatening to kill a captured Ukrainian soldier unless they are paid a ransom by the Ukrainian soldier's family...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-troops-allegedly-demand-prisoner-s-mom-pay-ransom-to-stop-execution/ar-AAWzdgr?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6586e2a8bf6040a1bf9c4f7eee6cf241

So when gangsters take over the government of a country...you get Putin's Russia...

I absolutely agree with this.
You also get the U.S. of A's position on Cuba when gangsters can effectively lobby a government.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

FarAway Sooner

I would respectfully suggest that about 1/3 of our allies in the Cold War were governments run by gangsters.  They were our gangsters, mind you, but they were gangsters nevertheless.

The world has been democratizing over the last 40 years, with the dramatic exception of China.  This latest little (for the rest of us) escapade in Russia doesn't detract from the long-term trend worldwide.  But it also dispels the notion that democracy happens spontaneously and wonderfully and we don't need any vigilance to help tend that garden.

ArizonaTank

Germany is providing more heavy equipment.

German government approves the sale of 50 flakpanzer Gepards to Ukraine. 

Also they are considering the sale of 100 Marder IFVs and 88 Leopard-1 MBTs.

In peacetime it can easily take a year or more to deploy a new type of equipment. You have to train the crew, set up parts and maintenance supply, train mechanics and handle a thousand other details. So wondering how quickly they can accelerate this for the speed of war. 

Germany also approved the training of Ukrainian soldiers on German soil on US artillery systems.

https://news.yahoo.com/german-government-greenlights-supply-gepard-145900470.html

When bloodletting and horror of this is all over (hopefully soon), Ukraine is going to be left with an interesting mix of various NATO and former Soviet equipment types.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.