Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

ComradeP

QuoteAnother point is that in time of war, fielding of new equipment does move much, much faster. It is difficult to describe, but being in a war does focus activity tremendously.

Agreed, but it's a shift towards maintaining Ukrainian readiness over time, not necessarily at this time. The previously delivered weapons and munitions could be used immediately after reaching the frontline by forces trained to use them between 2014 and 2022, or after a short period of training by reservists.

QuoteAs far as the nuclear war part...  I think the US just called Putin's bluff.

After WWII, the nuclear deterrent could be used to "side-step" the issue of the Allies/NATO not wanting to match the conventional might of the Soviets/Warsaw Pact but instead demobilizing and focussing on a limited number of active formations to be fleshed out with reservists or conscripts in case of war.

Unfortunately, the doctrine of making a conventional conflict less likely through a nuclear deterrent might make a nuclear conflict more likely in case the conventional capabilities of a certain side drop sharply in times of conflict.

If a leader feels there are three options (peace, conventional war and nuclear war), doesn't want peace and loses the capability to wage conventional war (at the desired intensity), only the nuclear option is on the table.

As much as I applaud the Ukrainian efforts during the war, I fear Russian losses will bring neither the Ukrainians nor the rest of the world closer to peace without changes to Russian leadership.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

MengJiao

Quote from: ComradeP on April 28, 2022, 03:36:30 AM

As much as I applaud the Ukrainian efforts during the war, I fear Russian losses will bring neither the Ukrainians nor the rest of the world closer to peace without changes to Russian leadership.

It does look that way.  Even the top UN guy simply said, "The war will go on until the Russians stop."  I guess that's better than a nuclear war, but it's going to look bad for Ukraine with a lot of its
territory occupied and NATO saying "STop annoying the Russians." It's going to look even worse for the Russians in their new status as a Giant North Korea with their resources being sold through Iran, Pakistan, China and the Solomon Islands.  They are going to have to get used to being overriden by the UN and cut off from Europe and being a colony of China and so on until they pull out of everything they have occupied (which might well be a big chunk of Ukraine).  It could take 50 years for Russia become less like a giant North Korea and more like a big Iran.

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

W8taminute

I heard that another 33 billion has been approved to help aid UKR in it's war against the bear. 
I know we just recently sent 8 billion dollars in aid to them as well recently.

Just how much money does the US have to spend on this war?
I'm dying over here being taxed to death and you've got people who have been jobless since the virus broke out and they're spending money like water to fuel a war?

That's the reason why the bear has been performing like asshats in UKR.  To drag this thing as long as possible to break the banks of all the countries involved.  Think about it...
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

Quote from: W8taminute on April 28, 2022, 01:44:39 PM
I heard that another 33 billion has been approved to help aid UKR in it's war against the bear. 

I'm dying over here being taxed to death and you've got people who have been jobless since the virus broke out and they're spending money like water to fuel a war?

That's the reason why the bear has been performing like asshats in UKR.  To drag this thing as long as possible to break the banks of all the countries involved.  Think about it...

This has got to be your worst take yet.  I strongly doubt that Putin is playing 9D chess wrecking his own economy and grinding down his military just so you can be taxed more.  Also, the phrasing "dying over here being taxed to death" while people are literally dying in Ukraine is particularly jaw-dropping...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on April 28, 2022, 01:51:47 PM

This has got to be your worst take yet.  I strongly doubt that Putin is playing 9D chess wrecking his own economy and grinding down his military just so you can be taxed more.  Also, the phrasing "dying over here being taxed to death" while people are literally dying in Ukraine is particularly jaw-dropping...

Yeah and I know it sounds crazy but 33 billion is probably a bargain -- after all its just one 636th of the US GDP (about 21 Trillion in 2021 dollars) while China is at 14 Trillion and Russia is at
1.4 Trillion ( one tenth of China's GDP) for Russia that would be a very painful chunk of their economy (which is falling fast) and for the US -- well 33 billion would barely qualify as a minor pulse in the
defense budget and money well spent in giving Russia a very hard time.

Skoop

Steady young Jedi, not when victory is so close. 

Imagine if Hitler could have been stopped in a Czechoslovak 1938 proxy war, that's the opportunity we have here.  Stay the coarse.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Jarhead0331

This isn't the place to vent these feelings, W8, no matter how reasonable or legitimate they may be for your situation. The impact of the war on the American and global economies is definitely fair game, but otherwise, please reserve the balance for other places and times.  C:-)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

cant we just reopen R&P and title it Thunderdome.  :bd:

GDS_Starfury

so did any of you ever think you would see a Lend Lease Bill passed in your life?

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 27, 2022, 03:32:47 PM
Just a normal evening on Russian state TV :

On The Evening With Vladimir Solovyov, host Vladimir Solovyov lamented the West's refusal to heed the Kremlin's warnings. "If they decide to support Ukraine—even though [Russia's Foreign Minister] Sergey Lavrov told them that this could lead to WWIII—nothing will stop them. They've decided to play it big... These are the bastards with no morals." Head of RT Margarita Simonyan added: "Personally, I think that the most realistic way is the way of World War III, based on knowing us and our leader, Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin, knowing how everything works around here, it's impossible—there is no chance—that we will give up."

In perhaps the most shocking declaration about a nuclear holocaust delivered on Russian television in recent months, Simonyan concluded that the idea "that everything will end with a nuclear strike, to me, is more probable than the other outcome. This is to my horror, on one hand, but on the other hand, with the understanding that it is what it is." Solovyov chimed in: "But we will go to heaven, while they will simply croak." Simonyan comforted the audiences by adding: "We're all going to die someday."

Once the conversation turned to Western arms deliveries to Ukraine and a series of fires and explosions on Russian territory, Solovyov pondered out loud: "What is preventing us from striking the territory of the United Kingdom, targeting those logistical centers where these arms are being loaded?" Andrey Sidorov, deputy dean of world politics at Moscow State University, retorted that rather than strike the U.K., Russia should target the real mastermind: America. He specified: "If we decide to strike the U.K., we should rather decide to strike the United States... Final decisions are being made not in London, but in Washington. If we want to hit the real center of the West, then we need to strike Washington."

Retired Colonel Yury Knutov. "I've been observing the American approach from its top levels of leadership towards Russia for several years now, for some reason, they believe that Russia can be choked for as long as it takes, until it surrenders, and Russia will never respond or use its nuclear weapons or its nuclear potential...
They themselves are creating the situation when there is a threat to the existence of our nation and our military doctrine prescribes that it gives us the right to use nuclear weapons."

Like something out of a Cold War dark comedy...but this is real.

The Russian State TV rhetoric to; 'nuke 'em cause we will go to heaven and they will go to hell,' reminds me of that old cr#p that the Japanese military sowed at the end of WWII. That it was OK that Japan was literally burning down around them because that way Japan would become a perfect 'shattered jewel.' Those militaristic a$$hats fought to the end and even tried to stop the Japanese Emperor from surrendering. The punchline was that after Japan did surrender, these same militarist a$$hats, quickly changed their tune, and stole everything that wasn't tied down. Japan would have become a kleptocracy run by former generals and their warehouses full of stolen goods if it wasn't for the US Occupation.

https://news.yahoo.com/putin-stooges-may-nuke-us-183813392.html
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

post WW2 Germany and Japan became modern industrial powerhouses.
the same can happen in Ukraine.

al_infierno

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 28, 2022, 05:37:58 PM

Like something out of a Cold War dark comedy...but this is real.

It turns out The Death of Stalin was a 100% factual documentary, not a comedy.  :-"

Edit -  :2funny:

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao