Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: bobarossa on May 03, 2022, 01:26:49 PM
Summarizing the conclusion sections at the end of Bergstrom's Black Cross/Red Star series...

...and just like that, I have a new series to buy! -- and possibly perhaps read someday!  :D :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

Summarizing the conclusion sections at the end of Bergstrom's Black Cross/Red Star series, he estimates that is Russia during '41 and '42, the Germans overclaimed air to air kills at slightly less than a 2:1 rate while the Soviets overclaimed kills at about a 3:1 rate.  He used German losses according to german records and compared them to Soviet losses from soviet records.

Yeah, that aligns with what Wikipedia tells us.  I think the German exaggeration rate expanded dramatically in the last year or two of the war, probably for reasons we can all imagine.  All sides exaggerate their kill totals, but Truth-seeking is not a virtue that's celebrated in authoritarian regimes that are faring poorly...

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 03, 2022, 02:23:32 PM
Summarizing the conclusion sections at the end of Bergstrom's Black Cross/Red Star series...

...and just like that, I have a new series to buy! -- and possibly perhaps read someday!  :D :hide:

Lucky to stumble across Mr. Bergstrom's Operation Barbarossa in a used book store lately. Beautiful book.

JasonPratt

So, keeping in mind the qualification that a BTG may not be up to full strength compared to any other BTGs, and that any total -- especially large ones -- is proportionately likely to involve reserves not front-line BTGs...

...that map looks like the push is for acquiring and consolidating Donbas breakaway region westward hinterlands (expanding the breakaway 'republics' westward), and NOT for pushing along the south coast toward Romania to cut off Ukraine from all coastal access. Or not yet; if that's the plan, gaining territory west of the breakaway region capitals comes first.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 04, 2022, 07:22:21 AM
So, keeping in mind the qualification that a BTG may not be up to full strength compared to any other BTGs, and that any total -- especially large ones -- is proportionately likely to involve reserves not front-line BTGs...

...that map looks like the push is for acquiring and consolidating Donbas breakaway region westward hinterlands (expanding the breakaway 'republics' westward), and NOT for pushing along the south coast toward Romania to cut off Ukraine from all coastal access. Or not yet; if that's the plan, gaining territory west of the breakaway region capitals comes first.

Yep.  Looks like 81 or so in the center (Donbas) and 12 or so on the flanks...seems like the main effort is in the Donbas, so the Russians might just declare victory there and try to end the war like
that and be very upset if Ukraine starts pushing them back.

ArizonaTank

Belarus has begun large scale "readiness" drills.

Maybe just a head fake to keep Ukraine on the defensive in the north, or Putin has called in his chips, and the Belarussians have to jump in. Is this timed to synch with the rumors of a May 9th declaration of war on Ukraine? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-ally-belarus-launches-military-quick-response-drills/ar-AAWUWYV?ocid=uxbndlbing
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

^If this is real hopefully they will perform just as well as their Russian masters.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2022, 10:48:23 AM
^If this is real hopefully they will perform just as well as their Russian masters.

With all the intel available from the West to Ukraine, it won't be a surprise attack at all.

It would be a dangerous precedent for Russia to set, pulling an ally into the fight.

I wonder what Poland would think of this all?

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

JasonPratt

'39 Poland, or '22 Poland?  ::)

Gusington

1920 Poland would probably be the best answer.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Gusington

^I know I'll regret saying this but I have now seen it all.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2022, 02:29:42 PM
^I know I'll regret saying this but I have now seen it all.

This might explain the latest Russian 'news' items.

Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky, noted on Twitter that a haul of cocaine had been confiscated in Estonia last month while en route to Russia. "It seems the cocaine shortage has forced employees of the Foreign Ministry to switch to something heavier," he said.