Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 05, 2022, 11:27:59 AM
I think this is an incredibly dangerous development. Doing it on the QT is one thing but actually openly admitting the U.S. is targeting Russian generals, and then bragging about it, can only lead to a required retaliation by Putin. Better to have kept quiet about it.

It is definitely an exaggeration to say they are "bragging" about it. Quietly letting it be known is the way I would put it.

From an official point of view, I think the US and NATO are covering the diplomatic speak. There is no official acknowledgement of this that I am aware of...just the typical unnamed sources that could always be denied...speaking to reporters anonymously. I think the only "official" thing I have seen is an acknowledgement at the NATO level that NATO is providing intel to Ukraine...but they don't say "targeting." Even then, they would not say they are providing information on generals, but "headquarters."

However, assuming the intel provided is electronic, signal intercepts and imagery, from a practical point of view, there is very little difference between "providing intel" and providing "targeting help" (as the NYT article put it).

BTW, if anyone out there in wargaming land hasn't been exposed to modern capabilities, I highly recommend the PC game, "Command Modern Operations" published by Slitherine. The game is "eye-opening."

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on May 05, 2022, 12:22:49 PM
Or he loses his temper in another flash of insanity and we all die in a nuclear fire.

I guess, but consider this:  he must have been pretty much flashing with anger and insanity when he ordered the invasion of Ukraine.  It seems possible that we have already seen the worst, at least
in terms of purely Putin-centric Putin-esque anger.  Maybe the Donbas is all he really wanted and the stuff about Kyiv was just to make getting a big chunk of Ukraine quicker and easier.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Or he loses his temper in another flash of insanity and we all die in a nuclear fire.

More likely to freeze to death in a nuclear winter.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 05, 2022, 08:22:51 AM
NYT says US is providing Ukraine intel that helps them target Russian generals...err....headquarters. ;)

This story has been percolating a bit on less well known news outlets for a day or so, but the NYT piece is the first time I have seen much detail.

And....the official denial

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c5013851/pentagon-denies-providing-intelligence-ukraine-russian-generals

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

Quote from: Windigo on May 05, 2022, 02:29:10 PM

More likely to freeze to death in a nuclear winter.
I'd think it would be from radiation sickness.

al_infierno

Why not all of the above?   :dreamer:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

bobarossa

Quote from: al_infierno on May 05, 2022, 04:26:18 PM
Why not all of the above?   :dreamer:
Might as well add old age then  ;)

Dammit Carl!

Somehow, the worse part will be the apocalypse tourists who, somehow, vlog their "adventures," and whatnot.

"Unlike in Eastern Europe, where there is a strong "cannibal cult," kind of vibe going on, in the remnants of the U.S.'s East Coast, one gets a sense of family as you really have to pull together as a group to combat the now sentient kudzu which threatens to wash over village walls like a vengeful green tide.  If you want to know more, like, subscribe and follow us as we try and hit all the "hot," spots to go before you die in your own lung juices or get eaten by the neighbor or the neighbor's dog."

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 05, 2022, 12:23:15 PM
Case closed.

Israeli Prime Minister Bennett's office says Russian President Putin apologized for Foreign Minister Lavrov's comments.  Bennett accepted Putin's apology "and thanked him for clarifying the President's attitude towards the Jewish people and the memory of the Holocaust."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-61339749

1. this is the only apology that fuckstick has given to anyone.
2. because he doesnt want syria  to get even more destabilized from IDF action.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MengJiao

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 05, 2022, 05:09:51 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on May 05, 2022, 12:23:15 PM
Case closed.

Israeli Prime Minister Bennett's office says Russian President Putin apologized for Foreign Minister Lavrov's comments.  Bennett accepted Putin's apology "and thanked him for clarifying the President's attitude towards the Jewish people and the memory of the Holocaust."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-61339749

So true.

Skoop

I second the CMO suggestion from above.  It's like a living encyclopedia sandbox of modern war stuff.  There's even some user made scenarios for Ukraine in the steam workshop.

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 05, 2022, 05:09:51 PM

Also because Israel is basically Batman, and the Bat doesn't recognize international jurisdiction.  ^-^

(At least, that's my head-canon.)

(Not that Israel is basically Batman. That's one hundred percent fact.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Skoop

I honestly don't give 2 shits about upsetting Russia with intel on generals location or Moskva location.  It's quite obvious our jstars and awacs are airborne every day doing surveillance and our satellites are watching everything.  The Russians already know this and are fools if they don't.  I thinks it's message that we don't even need to have boots on the ground and we can affect this war in a decisive way. 

Also, I seem to remember the Russian fsb paying bounties to the taliban for killed American soldiers....so dead Russian generals is payback....and it's a bitch sometimes.

I do wish I built a nuclear proof bunker in my back yard instead of a swimming pool.  But 5 years ago, I'd never suspect we'd be here.

Sir Slash

I believe the bounty on U.S. Soldiers story was totally de-bunked. I also saw Gen. Milley was on Capitol Hill last week telling everyone who would listen how U.S. Intelligence was assisting the Ukraine targeting Russian assets. Maybe this story, as so many others, was not true either. It's hard to tell. Putin maybe crazy but he's not so crazy that he thinks he can afford to not hit back when his reputation's at stake.

Here in Fla. a nuclear war would undoubtedly result in the damned Iguanas running around everywhere mutating into Dump Truck sized man-eaters. Is that worse than nuclear fire?  ???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.