Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Red Storm Rising went from being a pessimistic story where NATO got lucky to being a story where the soviets are overly lucky to have gotten as far as they did.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on May 12, 2022, 11:07:38 AM
^Has someone, somewhere deep in the Kremlin also absorbed this same lesson?

It's not an easy thing to absorb -- going from being a superpower to being something disturbingly transitional and ineptly dystopian.  I keep noting that
the Russian GDP before this war in Ukraine was 1.4 trillion which was one-tenth the Chinese GDP (who  knows now with China's COVID problems).
The world has changed and the Russians haven't
really tried to keep up.  They have gone through the motions of some kind of transition, but not really accomplished much in the way of positive change.
I guess the reason they keep going on about their nukes is that that is about the only slightly credible threat they have left.

And now they are "threatening" ( in their usual diffuse and unconvincing way) Finland -- which is of course totally counter-productive for them.  Really they should
shut up and get a life.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 12, 2022, 12:08:15 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 12, 2022, 11:07:38 AM
^Has someone, somewhere deep in the Kremlin also absorbed this same lesson?

Really they should
shut up and get a life.

This just in (incomprehensibly from the Daily Mail -- the Translated from Italian in the Persian Djbouti edition I  think):

The ex-boyfriend of Vladimir Putin 's alleged mistress is being hunted by the Russian president's personal CIA. Former police captain Shalva Museliana, 52, dated Olympic gymnast and ex-MP Alina Kabaeva. Colonel Museliana is accused by the Russian Investigative Committee of 'theft of state funds' linked to a series of sabotage Arctic ports.

Okay...lots of alleged ex-es there...how do you steal "state funds" by something "linked to series of sabotage Arctic ports"...?

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 12, 2022, 12:18:51 PM

Really they should
shut up and get a life.

This just in (incomprehensibly from the Daily Mail -- the Translated from Italian in the Persian Djbouti edition I  think):

The ex-boyfriend of Vladimir Putin 's alleged mistress is being hunted by the Russian president's personal CIA. Former police captain Shalva Museliana, 52, dated Olympic gymnast and ex-MP Alina Kabaeva. Colonel Museliana is accused by the Russian Investigative Committee of 'theft of state funds' linked to a series of sabotage Arctic ports.

Okay...lots of alleged ex-es there...how do you steal "state funds" by something "linked to series of sabotage Arctic ports"...?

And is Colonel Museliana the same person as Captain Museliana?  (an ex-police captain?)  A "Colonel" in whose army?

fran

Ukraine conflict: Russian soldiers seen shooting dead unarmed civilians

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61425025

al_infierno

How do you even "steal" state funds in a system like Russia?  Does that mean you took skims and kickbacks that were meant for one of the oligarchs?  ::)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 12, 2022, 11:57:44 AM
Red Storm Rising went from being a pessimistic story where NATO got lucky to being a story where the soviets are overly lucky to have gotten as far as they did.

To be fair, I recall the Soviet drive stalling out pretty badly until Soviet Rommel leveled up enough in rank to strategize for more than his local forces, whereupon he nearly turned things around for the Red team.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on May 12, 2022, 03:20:55 PM
How do you even "steal" state funds in a system like Russia?  Does that mean you took skims and kickbacks that were meant for one of the oligarchs?  ::)

How do you steal state funds "linked to a series of sabotage Arctic ports" in any system?

al_infierno

All very good questions, and more to come I'm sure!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

bobarossa

In the current Russian system you steal state funds by putting them to their intended use instead of letting the mafia/oligarchs get it.

ArizonaTank

T-72 explosion...  A Chinese news media video reportedly of a T-72 blowing up. 

The amazing thing is how high the turret goes into the air, looks like 30 feet up or more. 

I don't know what I was thinking...but I would have guessed the turrets go up about 10 feet before I saw this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/video-of-russian-tank-blowing-up-in-ukraine-captured-by-china-state-media/ar-AAXd5Nx?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3b8209294d2e4ef6a0a8f4d08611c616
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

that was way more then 30 feet.
the turret throw record has a turret popping and landing in a 5th floor apt.

al_infierno

Quote from: bobarossa on May 12, 2022, 09:20:26 PM
In the current Russian system you steal state funds by putting them to their intended use instead of letting the mafia/oligarchs get it.

:2funny:  Touche.

- MengJiao

ArizonaTank

Interesting observation by BBC reporter on current tactics in the Kharkiv area. A game of "hawk and mouse":

"War in the Kharkiv region has changed - it's now a game of hawk and mouse, where each side's drones circle constantly, trying to pinpoint the enemy's tanks and guns, for targeting by artillery."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61378196

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.