Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Speaking of Russian propaganda lies...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-claims-it-hacked-himars-rocket-launchers-that-s-probably-a-big-fat-lie/ar-AA113w46?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=cbcd11c17e8fa58e716bce03d2931789

No, they clearly haven't 'hacked' the HIMARS -- or even got a good counter-battery program going.

But they may be losing the war on purpose...?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-defense-minister-sergei-shoigu-says-slow-pace-of-war-in-ukraine-is-on-purpose?source=articles&via=rss

...to minimize civilian casualties.  ::) ::) ::) ::) AAH, I SPRAINED MY EYES ROLLING THEM!!  :buck2:

As Slash just noted (from Rep. Waltz and the Armed Services Committee), Russia could be stalling to let gravity-and/or-winter decide this. Also, Putin may have no more choice.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 25, 2022, 10:02:10 AM

As Slash just noted (from Rep. Waltz and the Armed Services Committee), Russia could be stalling to let gravity-and/or-winter decide this. Also, Putin may have no more choice.

IMHO, this is exactly what he is going to do.  Ukraine doesn't have the ability/manpower to throw him out of his current gains.  Putin will depopulate and/or colonize the captured areas to the extent he can, annex the captured areas, putting them under the Russian nuclear umbrella, and freeze the Europeans and Ukrainians.  The partial counter to this is for the US to begin drilling and exporting energy to the Europeans. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

'We're losing the war on purpose' is the most Russian thing I've read in the last 15 minutes.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Tripoli on August 25, 2022, 10:50:12 AM

IMHO, this is exactly what he is going to do.  Ukraine doesn't have the ability/manpower to throw him out of his current gains.  Putin will depopulate and/or colonize the captured areas to the extent he can, annex the captured areas, putting them under the Russian nuclear umbrella, and freeze the Europeans and Ukrainians.  The partial counter to this is for the US to begin drilling and exporting energy to the Europeans.

Do they have to throw the Russians out or just blow up a lot of them?  While Russia still thinks hitting civilian stuff is worthwhile, the Ukrainians seem to be concentrating on rubbing out the
Russian capacity to do anything but shoot random HE at things.  It is possible that the more the Russians convince themselves they are winning, the faster they will collapse once it becomes clear
that they are not winning (at least in terms of having their war-fighting capabilities steadily eroded).  You can't go downhill forever and remain a credible force. 

Gusington

^If any country on Earth can steadily erode and yet fight on, it's the Russians...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Quote from: Gusington on August 25, 2022, 11:28:27 AM
^If any country on Earth can steadily erode and yet fight on, it's the Russians...
I don't think he can frame the current "military action" as a Great Patriotic War"  We are not seeing  WW2's will to fight in this conflict.

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on August 25, 2022, 11:28:27 AM

They've collapsed far more often than most large states:  1905(Russo-Japanese and revolution), 1917 (twice -- Tsarist and Provisional), 1918 (treaty with Germany), 1920 (loss of Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Finland), 1991.  That's six big collapses in the last 120 years.  Even the American Civil War didn't collapse the USA (just as a comparison).

Gusington

The will is definitely not there - but the Russians continue to go on the offensive.

The Ukraine War is the direct, most recent continuation of the 125 hears of history you posted above, Meng.

An 'imperial rebirth' in Putin's mind.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Saw an article this morning (in USA Today, though can't find the link now) stating that Putin intends to... produce?... another 118 thousand troops for this year.

Well, he has around 70K fewer mouths to feed, so I guess this won't strain his logistics as much as it otherwise would have. Then again, his logistics have frayed so badly with 70K fewer mouths to feed, that almost another 120K might be much worse! At the very least, he should be putting those 118K on logistics duty. (And maybe harvest duty.)

I don't recall the article being clear about how Putin thought he was going to get them, by the way -- the writer speculated it would be by hiring volunteers.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

"Comrades! Do your part in the NEW Great Patriotic War by making more babies to grow-up and fight in it. Get busy for Mother Russia"!  :-*
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^ I can see that becoming real in the not too distant future.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Quote from: MengJiao on August 25, 2022, 11:24:37 AM
Quote from: Tripoli on August 25, 2022, 10:50:12 AM

Do they have to throw the Russians out or just blow up a lot of them?  While Russia still thinks hitting civilian stuff is worthwhile, the Ukrainians seem to be concentrating on rubbing out the
Russian capacity to do anything but shoot random HE at things.  It is possible that the more the Russians convince themselves they are winning, the faster they will collapse once it becomes clear
that they are not winning (at least in terms of having their war-fighting capabilities steadily eroded).  You can't go downhill forever and remain a credible force.

If the Ukrainians can some how bring about the collapse of the Russian army, then they might be able to throw them out.  The problem is that this is an attrition war, and I don't see how, given the correlation of forces,  the Ukrainians can create the required conditions to bring about a complete collapse of the Russian military's will to fight before their own will to fight is compromised.  I may be wrong on that, but I just don't see it happening right now.  Possibly the political will in Russia to continue the war can be made to collapse, but the public opinion polling doesn't show it (yet).
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 25, 2022, 01:20:59 PM
Saw an article this morning (in USA Today, though can't find the link now) stating that Putin intends to... produce?... another 118 thousand troops for this year.

Well, he has around 70K fewer mouths to feed, so I guess this won't strain his logistics as much as it otherwise would have. Then again, his logistics have frayed so badly with 70K fewer mouths to feed, that almost another 120K might be much worse! At the very least, he should be putting those 118K on logistics duty. (And maybe harvest duty.)

I don't recall the article being clear about how Putin thought he was going to get them, by the way -- the writer speculated it would be by hiring volunteers.

Easy...there are always those 100K North Koreans.... :D
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

Those 100k North Koreans would probably gain weight on Russian logistics.

GDS_Starfury

QuoteThe problem is that this is an attrition war, and I don't see how, given the correlation of forces,  the Ukrainians can create the required conditions to bring about a complete collapse of the Russian military's will to fight before their own will to fight is compromised.

I think the Ukrainians can bring the needed amount of weight to bear but only on 1 axis.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.