Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on August 27, 2022, 09:36:45 PM
Russia had troops in Armenia??

Yes.  When the war ended last year Russia stationed some troops in Armenia as part of keeping the peace. 
I'll be honest, Russia is totally using Armenia in order to maintain a presence in the Caucuses.  But on the other hand if it weren't for Russia's help over the years Armenia's neighbors would have exterminated us for religious reasons. 

As an American I hate what Russia is doing in Ukraine.
As an Armenian I'm grateful for what Russia has done in Armenia.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

At this point, in 2022, having Russian troops acting as 'peacekeepers' anywhere is like having German troops acting as 'peacekeepers' anywhere in 1942.

I think I knew that you had an Armenian background, W8.

But as someone with Ukrainian ancestry (and Belorussian)...I will never trust the current Russian government again.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Ack, I didn't realize (though I should have suspected) the Russians had withdrawn from Armenia! It'll be a straight miracle if your neighbors don't take the opportunity for some more genocidal cleaning, W8. I'm so sorry...

Well, maybe since Turkey is in NATO, Armenia can apply for membership? (There's some super-dark humor in that, I realize.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

^^Yup, I totally understand where you're coming from.  I know I mentioned my background before a few times.  Being born here in the states however let's me see things from both perspectives so I get what you mean.  I didn't realize you can trace your ancestors back to Ukraine. 

So in light of today's current events I do know that:

You can't trust the Russians.   
They use so many people/culture groups to their own advantages.

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 28, 2022, 01:46:52 PM
Ack, I didn't realize (though I should have suspected) the Russians had withdrawn from Armenia! It'll be a straight miracle if your neighbors don't take the opportunity for some more genocidal cleaning, W8. I'm so sorry...

Well, maybe since Turkey is in NATO, Armenia can apply for membership? (There's some super-dark humor in that, I realize.)

Thanks Jason!  The strange thing is I think that today they won't go in there to do some ethnic cleansing.  I really do believe that maybe this is all about grabbing slices of land here and there to let the oil in the Caucuses flow.  Armenia is in the way but it might end up just losing some land not their lives.  At least I hope. 

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Yes - two of my grandparents were born in Ukraine.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

The historical side of my mind is trying to figure out the last time Russia could be trusted... um... and now I'm realizing I only know enough patchwork pieces of Russian history (back to the Rus) to realize, in turn, I only know enough of their history to know that they can't usually be trusted.  :buck2:

So, someone with a more comprehensive historical overview than me (which shouldn't be too hard): halpz?!?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, the Enforcer had a nice video article yesterday about the lack of most modern tanks in Ukraine's invasion:

JasonPratt

And Enforcer's news recap last evening:

("Running out of soldiers" isn't accurate, of course. They're like at 10% casualties, taking the full deployment numbers into account. The point is that they're having to 'ask' for more 'volunteers' as 'contract' troops, in a war that according to their propaganda they're supposed to be solidly and easily winning -- which could lead to big internal trouble.)

One of the more amusing things I learned (someone might have mentioned it here, but if so I've forgotten -- likely Star if so, as he's often on point!) is that the Russians are often using plastic helmets so soft a man can break or punch through it by hand.

Enforcer found the aerosoft helmets (on Wish.com) being supplied to the troops; and also a video meant to be Russian propaganda of the brave, determined VDV rolling forward and looking out on alert for targets -- but the soldier is wearing an aerosoft helmet!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Quote from: Gusington on August 28, 2022, 04:19:59 PM
Plastic helmets?
Looks good, cheap, and let's you walk farther without getting tired after your vehicle runs out of gas!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Someone must have told them that carbon-fiber helmets are technically plastic...  ::)

Dammit Carl!

Reminds me of some rumor about a dude tossing his SAPI plates and replacing them with cardboard.

JasonPratt

I've been working on a plausible counter-scenario as a theory. We've got two pieces of information, really:

1.) a video of Uks claiming that they got helmets from the Orcs so flimsy that a soldier can break them with his hands, as demonstrated;

and

2.) a Russian video promoting the VDV which shows at least one soldier (maybe two or even three) using a helmet style which can be exactly matched to a particular Airsoft/paintball model of helmet.

The two pieces of information could be explained another way around: there are legitimate helmets made/used by the Russians which an AirSoft supplier then created a design from because of course there's a market to replicate the look (and to some extent feel) of accurate modern wargear. (And from other time periods of course.) Someone in Ukraine picks up on this, orders (or otherwise obtains) some Airsoft gear, and pretends Russians are wearing it. As we know, the Uks are not above some humorous but actively misleading propaganda. This theory also covers the facts -- just as completely...?

Normally this 'propaganda' theory would have the extra benefit of not having to suppose that the Russians are really equipping their troops with (Chinese-made?) Airsoft helmets, which would be insane. However, we also can see from past experience that the Russians do insane things to give the mere appearance of competency. So... eh, maybe a balance?

I suppose we'd need more data points, or even a deductively confirmed datum, to be sure, e.g. a verified Russian complaining that he and his troops were supplied with stupid plastic molded helmets which only looked like the real thing.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 28, 2022, 10:03:36 PM
I suppose we'd need more data points, or even a deductively confirmed datum, to be sure, e.g. a verified Russian complaining that he and his troops were supplied with stupid plastic molded helmets which only looked like the real thing.

The troops with the substandard equipment never made it back to complain, I'd hazard to say.