Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 09, 2022, 05:39:38 PM
notice anything? 

Star, I thought maybe you were referring to the abundance of facial hair?

Con

So will real life imitate WITE2?
One little sliver of uncontrolled land and the forces disappear from the pocket!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FcPsOw9WAAUOM3b?format=jpg&name=small

al_infierno

Quote from: Con on September 09, 2022, 08:46:39 PM
One little sliver of uncontrolled land and the forces disappear from the pocket!

It looks to me like Ukraine is playing War in the East 3 while Russia is still stuck playing Panzer General on a wonky emulator.   :notworthy:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Con

Quote from: al_infierno on September 09, 2022, 08:52:20 PM
Quote from: Con on September 09, 2022, 08:46:39 PM

It looks to me like Ukraine is playing War in the East 3 while Russia is still stuck playing Panzer General on a wonky emulator.   :notworthy:
I would liken it to World In Flames

al_infierno

That's true, PG was a competent game for its time and not a disastrous hot mess.  World in Flames is what the Russians are playing.   :2funny:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Wow...yeah...Forbes confirmed it...the Ukrainians pushed all the way down and took Oskil...

And the offensives towards Lyman are real..

They're about to completely pocket 20k Russians Hearts of Iron style.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Will they take prisoners? I think I know the answer.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on September 09, 2022, 09:48:42 PM

Yes.  Humane treatment of the enemy brings positive press and helps destabilize the lower ranks who've been told the mean Nazi Ukrainians will cut off their balls or whatever.

- MengJiao

Con

Quote from: al_infierno on September 09, 2022, 09:59:45 PM

Yes.  Humane treatment of the enemy brings positive press and helps destabilize the lower ranks who've been told the mean Nazi Ukrainians will cut off their balls or whatever.
I for one would look the other way if they meted out the same punishment if they caught that castrating bastard

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on September 09, 2022, 09:59:45 PM

And yet the realities of war and sustaining an offensive that looks like it's turning retreats into a route is also of consideration.

Also, take a look at some of the videos of the offensive rolling in and the public response.  It's WW2 style joy, but also a lot of anger by the civvies at the occupiers. 

Still, if they force a surrender of the Izium pocket, I imagine they'll conduct the vast majority as POW's to the west.  The photo ops of the marching columns will be epic propaganda in and of itself.

I imagine if the Russians have any sense left they're not doing a "no retreat" order and pulling their forces back quickly.   That doesn't quite fit with the reality this afternoon of the one propaganda shot they showed of an airlift of reinforcements in Mi-26's though.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

I heard last night that an Orc Lieutenant-Colonel got nabbed as a POW, with footage of his downcast face being prepared for memes to come. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 09, 2022, 10:12:47 PM
I heard last night that an Orc Lieutenant-Colonel got nabbed as a POW, with footage of his downcast face being prepared for memes to come. ;)

He wasn't a Lt. Colonel. 

He put on a Lt. Colonels uniform so he wouldn't be recognized.  He was actually a Lt. General, Andrei Sychevoi, and the CinC of the entire Kharkiv theater.  The highest ranking officer captured in battle since WW2.

al_infierno

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 09, 2022, 10:20:54 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 09, 2022, 10:12:47 PM

He wasn't a Lt. Colonel. 

He put on a Lt. Colonels uniform so he wouldn't be recognized.  He was actually a Lt. General, Andrei Sychevoi, and the CinC of the entire Kharkiv theater.  The highest ranking officer captured in battle since WW2.

Is this confirmed?  I've seen some scrutiny about his facial features and hairline, the latter of which I suppose could be attributed to the stress of waging a war of a madman's making.

- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on September 09, 2022, 10:32:47 PM
Is this confirmed?  I've seen some scrutiny about his facial features and hairline, the latter of which I suppose could be attributed to the stress of waging a war of a madman's making.

There was argument about it but it's been confirmed enough that western sources such as Newsweek have felt comfortable enough to say it. 

It makes sense.  The axis of attack was along the lines of Russian CnC and HQ lines, and it seems some Headquarters units were overrun. 

There's also been a very distinct lack of any coordinated defense around Izium and zero from the MoD on what's happening, even to Propaganda Milbloggers. 

They also evacuated the rest of their HQ assets back to the border soon after his capture...seems convenient. 

Considering the vast swaths of territory falling, the Russians pouring in reinforcements to a pocket they should be retreating from and news media outlets reporting it, I'd say yeah, it looks like it's him

JasonPratt

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 09, 2022, 10:20:54 PM
He was actually a Lt. General, Andrei Sychevoi, and the CinC of the entire Kharkiv theater.  The highest ranking officer captured in battle since WW2.

Ouch!

Quote from: al_infierno on September 09, 2022, 10:32:47 PM

Your sly plug: I saw it.  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!