Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

I'm wondering if the Ukrainians will try to hold all this new territory they've liberated or fall back to a shorter line to defend? If they do, won't the Russkies simply return and reoccupy the parts not held? How much time's left until the weather gets bad?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

why would they not hold all of it?  it's their country!
with what formations are the russians retaking anything?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Crossroads

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on September 12, 2022, 07:49:23 PM
If Russia breaks up it will be the exact opposite result of what Putin was gunning for when he started this. Perhaps karma is real.

Well, the Ukrainians are across the Oskil south of Kupiyask (Kupiyansk? and Izium), so Putin better think fast...oops that's not going to happen.  Is it Karma or is it
quit while you are ahead?  Since apparently his aim in Ukraine was regime change, as soon as that failed he should have cut his losses and taken some
big diplomatic hits.  He still would have had all his gains.  Instead, apparently he decided genocide was a reasonable plan B.  Clearly that was a mistake
when the people you are trying to exterminate have even a moderate number of weapons roughly equivalent to yours.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on September 13, 2022, 06:58:49 AM
'Quit Before You Begin'

Well, that would have been wise, but remember, it was generally believed in February 2021 that Russia could overrun Ukraine in a week or two.  It is possible
that somebody of an extremely Machiavellian sort in the US intel world might have suspected Russia was going to have some trouble...?  But how much?
Even in the wildest western dreams (mine for example) nobody outside of Ukraine seems to have thought the Ukrainians were going to totally wreck the
Russians in March 2021.  In some ways the Russian problem was obvious -- they attacked everywhere and the Ukrainians concentrated on defending Kyiv and Kharkiv.
Anyway, Putin could have stopped in March and probably held on to most of his gains.

Tripoli

Quote from: MengJiao on September 13, 2022, 07:13:06 AM
'Quit Before You Begin'

Well, that would have been wise, but remember, it was generally believed in February 2021 that Russia could overrun Ukraine in a week or two.  It is possible
that somebody of an extremely Machiavellian sort in the US intel world might have suspected Russia was going to have some trouble...?  But how much?
Even in the wildest western dreams (mine for example) nobody outside of Ukraine seems to have thought the Ukrainians were going to totally wreck the
Russians in March 2021.  In some ways the Russian problem was obvious -- they attacked everywhere and the Ukrainians concentrated on defending Kyiv and Kharkiv.
Anyway, Putin could have stopped in March and probably held on to most of his gains.

My 2 cents: Everyone believed that Ukraine would rapidly be overrun because, assuming even semi-competent military planning, they should have been.  My comment  is not to intended to distract to any degree the courage, tenacity and skill with which the Ukrainians have defended their homes.  Rather, it is to simply point out that the Russian's invasion plan was so incredibly bad, ignoring a multitude of factors and basic principles, that what should have been a relatively easy victory has turned into a very costly and embarrassing defeat, with potentially massive geopolitical repercussions.  See generally https://www.csis.org/analysis/russias-ill-fated-invasion-ukraine-lessons-modern-warfare 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

MengJiao

Quote from: Tripoli on September 13, 2022, 08:18:34 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on September 13, 2022, 07:13:06 AM
'Quit Before You Begin'

My 2 cents: Everyone believed that Ukraine would rapidly be overrun because, assuming even semi-competent military planning, they should have been.  My comment  is not to intended to distract to any degree the courage, tenacity and skill with which the Ukrainians have defended their homes.  Rather, it is to simply point out that the Russian's invasion plan was so incredibly bad, ignoring a multitude of factors and basic principles, that what should have been a relatively easy victory has turned into a very costly and embarrassing defeat, with potentially massive geopolitical repercussions.  See generally https://www.csis.org/analysis/russias-ill-fated-invasion-ukraine-lessons-modern-warfare

Yep.  I think the Russians could have done much better in March 2022 (why did I think it was 2021?  Oh dear).  I'm not sure what the point was in attacking everywhere -- which I think was
their main problem -- they just set themselves up for defeat in detail (though of course they did take a lot of ground down south) around Kyiv and Kharkiv.

Pete Dero

Quote from: MengJiao on September 13, 2022, 08:44:35 AM
I'm not sure what the point was in attacking everywhere -- which I think was
their main problem -- they just set themselves up for defeat in detail (though of course they did take a lot of ground down south) around Kyiv and Kharkiv.

I think they really believed they would be welcomed with open arms (like the recently liberated areas welcome the Ukrainian army).

Tripoli

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 13, 2022, 08:56:21 AM

I think they really believed they would be welcomed with open arms (like the recently liberated areas welcome the Ukrainian army).

That was one (of many) bad planning assumptions.  Basic intelligence preparation should have led them to question this assumption. I'm not sure how in this day and age they could have been so wrong on this point, or as a minimum, not have planned for the possibility that they were wrong on this point. The Russian invasion preparation and planning will be studied for generations in war colleges throughout the world as an example of how not to do it....

Tripoli

Possible Breaking News: https://twitter.com/ChuckPfarrer/status/1569684401134632963 {Note from Tripoli: I am not saying this is true, I'm just relaying it.
Reading the thread indicates that there is some debate over its veracity....}

ROAD CLOSED? Jason Jay Smart
@officejjsmart
reports that friends in Moscow have texted that: "The Ring Road around Moscow is closed by the National Guard". And that, " [he] hasn't seen anything like this since the 1991 coup".  Developing.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tripoli on September 13, 2022, 09:17:13 AM
Possible Breaking News: https://twitter.com/ChuckPfarrer/status/1569684401134632963 {Note from Tripoli: I am not saying this is true, I'm just relaying it.

@officejjsmart
reports that friends in Moscow have texted that: "The Ring Road around Moscow is closed by the National Guard". And that, " [he] hasn't seen anything like this since the 1991 coup".  Developing.

Maybe it's time for Xi to offer Putin a permanent vacation home in a remote part of the Huangshan Mountains.   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

"President Putin has gone to a farm up north where he can run and play freely!" -- Russviet news propaganda soon, probably.

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 13, 2022, 08:56:21 AM

Certainly that was a gravely mistaken ideological expectation. But it doesn't explain the knock-on-all-doors strategy. I think they were trying to overwhelm the government as quickly as possible, according to their other main expectation: that the government would collapse/evacuate leaving a vacuum for them to occupy.

I remember the initial news (posted long ago in this thread) and thinking, whoa, what?? A full-court press?? We had been disputing how much logistics the Rusks had built up to sustain an attack on a limited front, and suddenly they were operating on all the fronts?!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Anguille

Quote from: Tripoli on September 13, 2022, 09:17:13 AM

@officejjsmart
Waiting to see this confirmed in an official news...but this would be bad