Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 05, 2022, 02:20:49 PM
For note the teeth were found in Pisky at a torture chamber used to interrogate Ukrainians suspected of feeding information to the UAF and partisans or who might have had knowledge of the people who did so.

Along with the teeth were found implements such as gas masks that were used to force smoke inhalation, quite a few power tools and pliers used for live extractions, graves where the exhumed seem to have been buried alive and other very very less savory stuff.

Details can be found here among other places.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11282161/Russian-torture-chamber-bucket-pulled-teeth-Ukrainian-town.html

https://twitter.com/ronzheimer/status/1577729161460068352

EXCLUSIVE @BILD : We spoke to local dentist Sergey in the village about this horror-photo: ,,The teeth look like the ones from my cabinet, my house was looted by russians. They come from people that I treated all these years. I took these teeth out.

https://www.bild.de/politik/ausland/politik-ausland/ukraine-verbreitete-das-foto-stammen-die-goldzaehne-wirklich-von-folter-opfern-81529562.bild.html

According to the dentist, Russians who looted his house probably stole the crowns because they thought they were real gold, when in fact they are made of stainless steel. The Russians would also have used them to intimidate Ukrainians. "Local residents reported to me that Russians were apparently using this to scare people," Sergey told Bild.

The teeth may have a less sinister provenance than the Ukrainian authorities suggest, but the existence of the torture chamber and torture is confirmed in the village.
Residents told German reporters that they heard cries for help from various buildings in their village.

Jarhead0331

^and this is exactly my God damn point. There has been so much misinformation put out there and there are so many questions that need to be asked and answered, but Starfury has good "google-fu" so he can confirm every media report of atrocity with absolute certain authority and for even raising an obvious question, I'm accused of being a Russian sympathizer. This attitude is symptomatic of the true fascism that threatens democracy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Con

I think the Prussians would want a say

FarAway Sooner

In the article that AZTank provided, it's an interesting commentary from the Czech MP who Tweeted the joke about it.  He said something along the lines of, "In addition to all the serious stuff, comedy like this can play an important role in changing the way the Russian people see this conflict." 

I'd never thought about comedy as an important form of soft power, but it's actually one of the more effective ones if you can reach your target audience...

ArizonaTank

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 06, 2022, 11:26:53 AM
In the article that AZTank provided, it's an interesting commentary from the Czech MP who Tweeted the joke about it.  He said something along the lines of, "In addition to all the serious stuff, comedy like this can play an important role in changing the way the Russian people see this conflict." 

I'd never thought about comedy as an important form of soft power, but it's actually one of the more effective ones if you can reach your target audience...

Absolutely. I remember an interview with one of the Nuremburg prosecutors (I forget the gentleman's name, but I believe he may even still be alive). He told how he and many of the staff of the trials had German civilian drivers, many of them were recent German military veterans. He said he came out of the building one day and was surprised when he saw the German drivers gathered around, and all laughing with abandon to Spike Jones' "Der Fuhrer's Face" on US Armed Forces Radio.

As far as the Czechs and humor, they are the folks that gave us "The Good Soldier Schweik" (also spelled Svejk) and they have a statue in Prague to Franz Kafka, who wrote a famous satire about a guy who wakes up one day to find he has turned into a giant cockroach.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2022, 06:36:27 AM
^and this is exactly my God damn point. There has been so much misinformation put out there and there are so many questions that need to be asked and answered, but Starfury has good "google-fu" so he can confirm every media report of atrocity with absolute certain authority and for even raising an obvious question, I'm accused of being a Russian sympathizer. This attitude is symptomatic of the true fascism that threatens democracy.

well so far the Bild article is seems to be the only contrary opinion with a lot of questions raised.
questions like why would a dentist keep a bucket of teeth, why no last name and why the other 'tools' arent referenced.
theres already an overwhelming burden of proof on russian atrocities  whats to be gained from adding this to the list.
but please... go on about true fascism.  ::)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 06, 2022, 01:13:39 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2022, 06:36:27 AM

well so far the Bild article is seems to be the only contrary opinion with a lot of questions raised.
questions like why would a dentist keep a bucket of teeth, why no last name and why the other 'tools' arent referenced.
theres already an overwhelming burden of proof on russian atrocities  whats to be gained from adding this to the list.
but please... go on about true fascism.  ::)

I'm being attacked by you for simply asking questions. You're a brainwashed automaton who lashes out like a child at anyone or anything that raises any question about the narrative reported in the media. You think Ukraine is not committing atrocities in this war?  Would you even care if they were? Do you even care about the actual truth?

You should just stick to posting maps, because when you open your mouth and editorialize, you end up looking foolish.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GDS_Starfury

asking what side your rooting for is hardly an attack. 

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 06, 2022, 01:46:31 PM
asking what side your rooting for is hardly an attack.

You have filled this thread with insinuation, innuendo and outright accusation aimed at anyone that doesn't wholeheartedly wish for unfettered death, destruction and nuclear annihilation, because -"Russia".  Likewise, you have derided anyone who has the audacity to question anything that does not absolutely cast everything associated with Russia as utterly wicked, or on the contrary, anything that may be possibly critical of Ukraine. You are literally the only one who has no capacity to think critically or objectively, has no tolerance for questions that seek the truth and who, as a result, has to repeatedly be warned. I'm finished wasting my time and energy on it. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GDS_Starfury

QuoteYou think Ukraine is not committing atrocities in this war?  Would you even care if they were? Do you even care about the actual truth?

Im sure here and there the AFU is doing things that could be considered atrocities.  the way they're releasing video of prisoners being questioned goes against the Geneva Convention as far as I know.  I'm also sure thats just one facet of whats going on.  I'm also sure only one side has been targeting civilians and their homes.  only one side invaded the other and only one side is the aggressor. 

Tripoli

Here's the latest on the Kherson axis:

•   Unverified Twitter Intelligence (TINT) from https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1577930442694598657.html  regarding Russian  Kherson supply situation: [Note from Tripoli: the title says it all.  I can't verify this, but with that disclaimer, here goes:
o   "When all pontoon ferries are working (it's hard task to track them all), 🇷🇺 gets about 1/3 of their needed supplies. 🇷🇺 captured near Kherson have lost 10-15kg, have blank eyes, they absolutely don't trust command, can't establish communications for 3 days. Those were contract solders from elite 🇷🇺 units." {Note from Tripoli: the comment about these Russian troops being "elite" may or may not be accurate.  OSINT shows the troops in the Kherson region are regular Russian troops, and there are some airborne in the area.]

•   UK Ministry of Defence  https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1577893589991956480
o   (1/7) Ukraine's Armed Forces started a new phase of offensive operations in Kherson Oblast on 2 October 2022.
o   (2/7) Advancing south, Ukrainian units have pushed the front line forwards by up to an additional 20km, primarily making gains along the east bank of the Inhulets and west bank of the Dnipro, but not yet threatening the main Russian defensive positions.
o   (3/7) Russian forces have typically broken contact and withdrawn. Russian commanders are likely to see the growing threat to the Nova Kakhovka sector as one of their most pressing concerns.
o   (4/7) The damaged river crossing over the Dnipro in this area remains one of the few routes available for them to resupply forces.
o   (5/7) Russia faces a dilemma: withdrawal of combat forces across the Dnipro makes defence of the rest of Kherson Oblast more tenable; but the political imperative will be to remain and defend.
o   (6/7) Russia has committed the majority of its severely undermanned airborne forces, the VDV, to the defence of Kherson.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

al_infierno

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 06, 2022, 02:05:27 PM
Im sure here and there the AFU is doing things that could be considered atrocities.

I mean, this line of thinking is pretty much exactly what JH is alluding to.  "Here and there" "could be considered atrocities"?  It's a war man, you can absolutely guarantee there are atrocities being committed on both sides, though you're correct in your overall characterization that Russia is the aggressor and committing far, far more atrocious acts - including torture/killing of civilians.

I've seen some fairly graphic videos that depicted Ukrainian soldiers executing Russian POWs earlier in the war.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Con

There are even videos recently that show Ukr potential war crimes
War is brutal and degrading and now for the first time instantaneously livestreamed with no context or verification of facts. But at the end of the day the Russians invaded have killed thousands of Ukrainian civilians through deliberate shelling and strikes and are forcibly relocating Ukr children while their media espouses total cleansing the death for Ukr as a sub species.  It hasn't been as clear cut on who the good guys and bad guys are since WW2.
Lastly ask yourself which country would you rather be a POW in.

Pete Dero

I wonder what tomorrow will bring : Putin turns 70.  A narcissist like him can't let something like this pass without a crazy victory speech.

The Ukrainian counter-offensive of recent weeks has been particularly successful. To the extent that dozens of Russian tanks have fallen intact into the hands of the Ukrainian army. According to some sources, there are even as many as 200 tanks, out of a total of 380 since the start of the war in February. Many of those tanks will soon be used by the Ukrainian military.

However, the captured example of the T-90M Proryv (Russian for "breakthrough") - which was left intact by the Russians because a caterpillar track had failed - was to be shipped abroad for research. It is one of the most advanced vehicles in the Russian arsenal. That research could yield valuable information about Russian technology.

The Russian army is said to have around 100 T-90M tanks, but only a few are said to be on Ukrainian territory. The Kremlin would deliberately want to keep the tanks on hand for a possible escalation of the war into a conflict with NATO countries. The capture of this specimen is therefore seen by many analysts as an outright blunder on the part of the Russians, and a major windfall for the Ukrainians and their Western allies.

Translated from a local article (original source is Business Insider)