Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

From Dominions 5 guides to collaborating with and interviewing a retired Army General.  I think it's safe to say Perun has "made it."   O0

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GroggyGrognard

The revolving door continues. Apparently according to the head of Ukraine's military intelligence service, "Surovikin knows how to fight with bombers and missiles — that's what he does."
Military analysts state he has long reputation of corruption and brutality. He looks like a Bond villain. Sounds like a fun guy.

https://twitter.com/FUqwerty/status/1578765337642012672?s=20&t=h1qJo_15Mc0ftIM9p_xHgg

https://twitter.com/ChuckPfarrer/status/1578827404617084929?s=20&t=h1qJo_15Mc0ftIM9p_xHgg

Groggy

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

ArizonaTank

Unconfirmed reports from Ukrainian sources of Russian "elite" guards arresting other military members in the Moscow area. Valkyrie? Stalinist Purge? Ukrainian Propaganda? Nuclear 'reliability' test?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-elite-guard-arresting-military-in-moscow-ukraine-intelligence/ar-AA12KgKO?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=53dde45b2b794beda916d594b7e70f5e

I tend to think it is just a half-truth wrapped in a rumor. But it would be nice if it meant something bad for Putin. I can daydream can't I?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

It's more likely to be a purge of officers who's loyalties are 'suspect' due to word, deed, or association.

Still, it might spur yet others to act sooner rather than later out of fear that they too will end up enjoying a stay in the Kremlin's finest and best accessorized subterranean honeymoon suites.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

FarAway Sooner

The more of the satraps that end up in prison before a people's revolution topples Stalin Putin the better.  I'd rather nobody have to bleed to resolve this situation, but if the Russians seem so intent on spilling blood, I wish a disproportionate share of it would be their's, and it would run in the streets of Moscow and the roads of smaller towns scattered across the countryside, than in the streets of Ukraine.

I know that's not very charitable of me.  At this point, I wish the Ukrainians could find a way to bomb them back into the Stone Age, but without triggering a nuclear response.

SirAndrewD

Have these arrests and lockdowns been independently confirmed anywhere?

I'm seeing Moscow twitter absolutely denying they're seeing anything going on.  That's not all from pro-Putin sources.

Putin just made his remarks on the bridge being a terrorist act and announced the start of a criminal investigation normally without anything seemingly going on, so I'd doubt if there was something happening that it'd be a move against him.

Also, the photo the Ukrainian Intelligence twitter posted in its announcement was from an arrest two years ago.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

so what are the chances that this truck bomb was an independent op run by some Muslims from one of the 'stans?
that is, if it was actually the truck bomb and not something else.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

FarAway Sooner

Even if it was a covert op orchestrated by the Ukrainian government, I still wouldn't own up to it.  Better to have people suspect it's you but not be certain.  And it's better to give the Russian investigative resources the least material to work with.

In a certain sense, it is a terrorist attack.  It's going after a logistical/military target, but there's also a heavy effort here to target civilians hearts and minds.  On the other hand, the Russians kind of gave up the right to complain about that sort of thing when they started indiscriminately shelling civilian targets all over Ukraine.

Pete Dero

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 09, 2022, 04:07:07 PM
In a certain sense, it is a terrorist attack.  It's going after a logistical/military target, but there's also a heavy effort here to target civilians hearts and minds. 

Russia needs this bridge to transfer troops and supplies in and out Crimea so this is 100% a military target.  The attack happened during the night so there was almost no civilian traffic.
To me this has nothing in common with a terrorist attack.

The Russian missile attack today on civilian buildings in Zaporizhzhia (part of Russia according to Russian logic !), most probably in retaliation, that is a terrorist attack. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63190844

The BBC's Paul Adams, who was recently in the city, says the buildings struck are not obvious military targets and the attacks seem entirely indiscriminate.

More than 60 civilians are understood to have been killed in and around Zaporizhzhia in the past nine days.

The Ukrainian regional governor in Zaporizhzhia, Oleksandr Starukh, said 12 Russian missiles had partially destroyed a nine-storey building, and levelled five other residential buildings.

Gusington

^Totally agree with the last two posts - the bridge was an absolute military target and really...the Russians are going to whine after 7 months of indiscriminate shelling? Please.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I've said before, infrastructure is absolutely a valid target. 

If NATO were in this war, I promise you that bridge would not be functional.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Slowly but surely Ukraine is ramping up its combat ability towards NATO standards.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd