Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Gusington on October 10, 2022, 12:36:47 PM
I clearly remember as I am sure you all do the mid 1990s when there was talk of Russia joining the EU and even NATO. Feels like that was 1000 years ago.

sigh
somewhere up thread I mentioned russian in the EU as the endgame far down the line.
how far, who knows.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Imagine how overpowered Russia would be if they would just clean up their act and treat their people right. But that's been true for, gosh, how many centuries now...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

they still wouldnt be overpowering, overpowered of whatever.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

SirAndrewD

Yeah, it's increasingly looking like the bridge bombing may have been a third party.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

The Russians released security camera footage of what they claim is the bomb truck, being passed through security with only a quick peek in the back. It's quite a big trailer, but would need to be for that level of explosion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/xyoybi/russian_media_shows_footage_of_a_truck_allegedly/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

GDS_Starfury

its interesting to read the first few pages of this thread.

ffs, Andrew was still married.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 10, 2022, 04:41:24 PM
its interesting to read the first few pages of this thread.

ffs, Andrew was still married.

Only because the signed papers were still with the judge.

It was a fun Thanksgiving! 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

Not to get sentimental, but it's weird to think how many tens of thousands more people were just walking around living their lives with plans for the future and no conception of what laid in store for them.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

The indicative estimates by the UAF for Oct 8th aren't necessarily accurate, of course.

Heck, one of them has been partly walked back by today...  ^-^

GDS_Starfury

JasonPratt

I know, I just posted it for their trolling about "1 Kerch Bridge" being added to the list by the UAF.

That, and it indicates that the UAF is taking credit for the destruction.

JasonPratt

I had been poking around trying to get an idea why some people think a boat or something was approaching the bridge at the time of detonation. This guy, "Sub Brief", gives a good idea of what that evidence looks like.

His discussion starts a little after 3:00 mark. Something is definitely nosing under the bridge (behind the truck where it has already passed) at the moment of detonation. Whether that was the source of the detonation, I'm still unclear about.

JasonPratt

MSN, reporting the Washington Examiner, reporting Reuters and the NY Times and... something something attribution...  ::)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-troops-pour-into-belarus-by-the-trainload/ar-AA12OtwC?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=1f7c881f0b2b43c1b45fafd8dd272169

Quote"This won't be just a thousand troops," Lukashenko told his military high command in a recent meeting, announcing the large-scale arrival of Russian troops. "Be ready to receive these people in the near future and place them where necessary, according to our plan," he said, according to the New York Times.

Cattle-cars of Russian troops arriving in White Russia have been confirmed, along with heavy artillery.

This suggests Putin is hoping to draw off Ukrainian offensive forces by staging a(nother) end-run invasion from Belarus, or at least threaten to do so -- I doubt he has the logistics there, either, but on the other hand that hasn't stopped Russia from doing anti-logistical invasions in the recent past!  :P

Luka, as you might expect by now, markets this as a preparation for Ukrainian and even NATO invasion of Belarus, against which he'll "respond" as necessary: very much the Soviet playbook going back as far as Lenin. Watch for some of those arty pieces to sneak across the border to shoot back into Belarus soon, I guess...?

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 10, 2022, 08:42:26 PM
His discussion starts a little after 3:00 mark. Something is definitely nosing under the bridge (behind the truck where it has already passed) at the moment of detonation. Whether that was the source of the detonation, I'm still unclear about.

Didn't some drone-boat (Ukrainian?) wash up on the shore of Crimea a short while back?  Given the craftiness of Ukraine so far, I wouldn't put it past them to arm an aquatic drone device (which is, admittedly, kina cool).