Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Windigo

I hope this news blackout is indicative of some significant gains by the Ukraine in what ever offensive they have going.
Fingers crossed that the weather still permits the UAF use of secondary roads, which in my opinion are critical in their style of flanking, maneuvering, highly mobile, operations.

I wonder though, when the Soviets start to run out of retreating room, what they are going to do?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

JasonPratt

Can't find it at the moment, but this is where the gif would go from The Last Starfighter at the climactic defeat of the invaders:

bleeeeeeep -- "We die."
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Windigo on October 19, 2022, 10:20:52 AM
I wonder though, when the Soviets start to run out of retreating room, what they are going to do?

Entrench, baby, and fix bayonets!

JasonPratt

More seriously, let's see... they might try to spin their stiffening line as a victory? Something like, "We launched our special operation to uncover and expose to the world the viciously overpowered NATO connections being built by Anglo-Saxons in the Ukrainian region, and having achieved this bloody victory we have pulled back to an unbreakable defensive line and halted our defensive pre-emptory counter-attack! Glory to Russia! Behold the Nazi evil! -- the world must join us in resisting this depravity before it's too late!"

And then point continuously at the World Economic Forum's 4th Economic Revolution (or whatever they're calling it, aka "The Great Reset") like Donald Sutherland at the end of the 1970s Invasion of the Body Snatchers, since the WEF has been angling to use Ukraine for its purposes. Which Putin has been opposing because he wants to be the one to take over the world, or at least Europe, or at least Eastern Europe, and he does not share power. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Windigo

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 19, 2022, 10:42:31 AM
Quote from: Windigo on October 19, 2022, 10:20:52 AM

Entrench, baby, and fix bayonets!

They'll be allowed to starve to death, when they do that, I imagine.

GDS_Starfury

seems the soviets are getting ready to abandon the west bank of the Dnipro River which effectively concedes Kherson back to the Ukraine.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 19, 2022, 12:36:22 PM
seems the soviets are getting ready to abandon the west bank of the Dnipro River which effectively concedes Kherson back to the Ukraine.

They're definitely preparing to pull back but don't be shocked if they don't put plenty of speedbumps in the UAF's way, and possibly make them bleed for Kherson. 

A couple of western milbloggers this morning were saying there were at least some indications the Russians were fortifying Kherson itself in order to force the UAF to level parts of their own city to take it back. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Windigo

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 19, 2022, 12:40:24 PM

They're definitely preparing to pull back but don't be shocked if they don't put plenty of speedbumps in the UAF's way, and possibly make them bleed for Kherson. 

A couple of western milbloggers this morning were saying there were at least some indications the Russians were fortifying Kherson itself in order to force the UAF to level parts of their own city to take it back.

Lay siege to the city, starve the Russians out - while letting them know they will be the ones clearing all munitions/mines/IEDs from the city post-surrender. Even orcs will know what that means.

GDS_Starfury

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 19, 2022, 12:40:24 PM

Island hop that bitch - but easier said than done all things considering; do not wish that kind of attrition war on anyone.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 19, 2022, 06:23:27 PM
Island hop that bitch - but easier said than done all things considering; do not wish that kind of attrition war on anyone.

Attrition warfare is just what the Russians are aiming for as their next steps. 

They seem to have established at least some kind of coherent plan of defense that will invite the UAF to attack heavily prepared defenses. 

In the north they're now establishing what they're calling the "Wagner Line" that is largely being built by PMC Wagner contractors and contract engineers and will be manned by Wagner troops. 

The line is going to be a heavy fortification behind the Siversk-Donets river, running all across the Luhansk border, anchored by Lysychansk all the way across to Luhansk city. 

This seems to mean that the Russians are about to significantly shorten their lines and possibly abandon Svatove and Starbolisk.  They'll lose two key logistics and rail hubs, but they'll be able to redeploy a large portions of their troops in the north, likely quite a bit of them for refit and rearming using newly mobilized troops. 

They also just repaired the Anatovsky bridge in Kherson with improvised ferries, so they can at least supply forces locally in Kherson itself.  With the bridge up and ferries, they'll probably be able to keep the city in supply as long as they reduce the line and pull back most of the 25k troops north of the Dniper.  That seems to be what they're doing, leaving forces in the city and keeping some bridgehead, while removing thousands of civilians that would just be extra mouths to feed.

With their backs to the river it'll be hard, even when the freeze comes, for the UAF to get across and surround the city.

It's strongly looking like the Russians are going to dig in for the winter and bring more reserves online.  They probably expect that once spring rolls around, they'll have half a million or more men in position for renewed pushes in the quieter parts of the line that haven't seen a lot of action. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

Khersons on the west bank so no river for the AFU to cross but it will still be a grind.

GDS_Starfury

this is supposedly the concept of the wagner line.
video of some construction:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1579975702853869568

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 19, 2022, 07:34:00 PM
Khersons on the west bank so no river for the AFU to cross but it will still be a grind.

I was referring to the idea that the UAF could surround Kherson and lay siege.  It'll be hard with the Russians having a fortified perimeter with the river at their backs.  To cut off the Russian line of supply completely they'd have to slog up the riverbank into urban areas. That's if the Russians truly decide to try to hold it.