Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crossroads

In the Shadows of FRIDAY, or, Ukraine

Did not want to steal the thunder at Computer Gaming, and a better match here regardless.

Fresh out today by the old feather head with his band and the Ukrainian Kalush Orchestra.

QuoteCombining the legendary rock song with the unique sound of Ukrainian folk, we created "In The Shadows of Ukraine"

Original lyrics: "They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I'd rather kill myself than turn into their slave." - reflects the feelings of Ukrainians during the long war in their country.

Our mission is to let as many people as possible know about this war and the courage of the Ukrainian people. That's why we decided to shoot a video for this song.

We believe that "The sun will rise, and all enemies will disappear".

Glory to Ukraine!

O0
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Windigo

In this day and age how can fortified lines still be a thing?

Precision munitions mean they will be destroyed.

Also, I am aware of a few sources that say Wagner is having morale issues now and their troop quality is dropping. Once their profitability drops, then what?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Windigo on October 21, 2022, 12:27:24 PM
In this day and age how can fortified lines still be a thing?

Precision munitions mean they will be destroyed.

Also, I am aware of a few sources that say Wagner is having morale issues now and their troop quality is dropping. Once their profitability drops, then what?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man." - George S. Patton. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Dammit Carl!

In lieu of combined arms training, fixed positions are all the Russians are going to have to offer as they get plussed up with those poor conscripted/mobilized fodder folks.

Re: Wagner Group - most recent "Popular Front," podcast covers PMCs and paramilitary groups sent into Ukraine by Russia and is a good listen.  Thought Wagner was a homogeneous organization and the podcast painted them more as a patchwork sort of thing.

Tripoli

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 21, 2022, 01:22:30 PM
In lieu of combined arms training, fixed positions are all the Russians are going to have to offer as they get plussed up with those poor conscripted/mobilized fodder folks.

Re: Wagner Group - most recent "Popular Front," podcast covers PMCs and paramilitary groups sent into Ukraine by Russia and is a good listen.  Thought Wagner was a homogeneous organization and the podcast painted them more as a patchwork sort of thing.

There has been some reporting that Wagner is recruiting among the Russian prisoner population, so the quality of their formations will likely decrease/become more "patchy."  See https://greekreporter.com/2022/09/18/russian-mercenary-group-recruiting-prison/
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62922152
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

FarAway Sooner

You got to admit, standing in a trench is safer than standing in the open!  As was discussed upthread, it seems more like those are anti-tank trenches than anything else.  The lack of any zig-zag pattern means that, once a trenchline is breached, it's easy to shoot up and down the length of the thing.

Or maybe this was just a multimedia production made to inspire the Russian people, many of whom don't seem inclined to ask tough questions of their government broadcasts right now in any event.

JasonPratt

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 21, 2022, 02:41:47 PM
The lack of any zig-zag pattern means that, once a trenchline is breached, it's easy to shoot up and down the length of the thing.

It's also easy for precision munitions to spread up and down the length of the thing -- as has been seen repeatedly with drone cameras.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 21, 2022, 02:41:47 PM
You got to admit, standing in a trench is safer than standing in the open!  As was discussed upthread, it seems more like those are anti-tank trenches than anything else.  The lack of any zig-zag pattern means that, once a trenchline is breached, it's easy to shoot up and down the length of the thing.

Deffo anti-tank ditches, but they seem to be not wide enough to really stop anything with treads - slow them, yes, and couple ditches with mines and you've got some good area denial going on. 

Lol.  Reminds me back in my Army Engineer days when we were told as heavy equipment operators, "You'll be the only guys with your backs to the enemy as you use your D7s to breach that obstacle and get our M1s through!"  Yeah, puttering about in our unarmored D7s obviously trying to fill in the holes the enemies made had our lifespan down to mere minutes, but they never told you that little bit of info.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 21, 2022, 02:59:21 PM
not your daddys Caterpillar.

Beefiest ones we ever used were up-armored D7s for anti-mine work circa '05.  Armor package had these narrow, tiny windows where you could just only make out your blade edges up front.  Had radios in them, so your spotter(s) in the Humvee nearby could give you directions.  Biggest sphincter-tightening moment I had was, when spotting and within 10-15 meters of the machine, the dozer uncovered an old Soviet arty round; just grazed right across the top of the thing.  Much rapid evacuation from the area enused.

Windigo

There still remains the challenge of logistics. I am not sure how a force without supply, especially a low-morale force can hold up against even a tepid push/test of defenses.

BTW if the ruskies withdraw under fire, where will they likely go? I mean sooner or later they will run out of room.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

Carl you used those bulldozers? No wonder your handle is Dammit Carl!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Gusington on October 21, 2022, 03:50:57 PM
Carl you used those bulldozers? No wonder your handle is Dammit Carl!

Nah, never the high-tracked stuff, but just your basic D7s - no armor, no cab, no nothing.  ROPS and a seatbelt topped out the trim package on our stuff.

Gusington

Clearly you were skilled enough not to get...injured.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd