Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Seriously, why would they publish that at all??

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 26, 2022, 09:23:19 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 26, 2022, 09:10:56 AM
QuoteThe Rusks have been training overtly for exposure to fallout in the past week, which signals they think the explosion will be near their troops.

the soviets are also conducting their annual nuclear drills this week including ICBM test launches.  exposure/nbc training could be connected to that.

Certainly that could be the explanation, but normal training wasn't the explanation the Russians themselves gave for their exposure training. Of course, they could give a false explanation for otherwise normally scheduled training, too!

Meanwhile, the Washington Examiner reports that Russia has started walking back its dirty bomb allegations and warnings: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-walks-back-risk-of-dirty-bomb-plot-amid-nato-warnings/ar-AA13ndvl?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=d2418d7d12d743a797109b4d4e9660f1

Quote"We have got what we wanted," Russian deputy ambassador Dmitry Polyanskiy told reporters at the United Nations. "If this all does not happen, I do not mind people saying that Russia is crying wolf because we are speaking about a terrible disaster that might potentially threaten the whole Earth." {snip} "There are a lot of claims that we made about things that never happened," Polyanskiy acknowledged. "But shouldn't we view it through the perspective that they never happened because we had raised those claims and Ukrainians were afraid to proceed with those provocations?"

:buck2:

It's kind of interesting that for once they gave themselves credit (in a round-about way) for not doing something insane.  Now if they just stop the war they can figure out some way to get credit for
saving all mindkind for that as well, I guess.  They stopped NATO from blasting a crappy army out of existence or something right?  By just all going home and so on.

PS...I think I mean "mankind" not "mindkind"...but who's to say?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on October 26, 2022, 12:35:00 PM
^Seriously, why would they publish that at all??

As someone that works in the media/relations side of publishing I'd never allow something that out of date to make it past an editorial staff.   That goes a very long way to endangering credibility even if that take might've been not so unusual a few months ago.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Reuters with an in-depth analysis on paperwork found from an abandoned Russian command post.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/ukraine-crisis-russia-base/
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Gusington

^I read that earlier today. Could the Russians be so incompetent to leave literally 1000s of pages of their documents just lying around??

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

QuoteCould the Russians be so incompetent

thats a silly question to ask at this point.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Gusington on October 26, 2022, 03:03:56 PM
^I read that earlier today. Could the Russians be so incompetent to leave literally 1000s of pages of their documents just lying around??

Let me tell you about the reams of PII left behind by our HQ Company as we mobilized outward through Bragg years ago whilst in the Reserves, so yes, can most certainly see forgetting crap by a group looking to beat feet muy pronto.

Jarhead0331

No less incompetent than the billions of dollars in advanced military weapons and equipment the United States left in Afghanistan for the Taliban. But, I digress...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 26, 2022, 03:51:46 PM

No less incompetent than the billions of dollars in advanced military weapons and equipment the United States left in Afghanistan for the Taliban. But, I digress...

At least that stuff has a chance of killing its user when they're not properly trained.   :buck2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

The equipment left in Afghanistan by us was quite...incompetent. To put it mildly. I wasn't comparing it's just...unbelievable.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

FarAway Sooner

I think, when your allies are THAT unreliable, there is no good exit strategy. 

I'm not making excuses for the botched withdrawal--there were a zillion things wrong with it.  I'm just not sure this was one of them.  Rather, this was an almost inevitable outcome of having made material investments into unreliable allies, who had a profoundly different agenda than we did, from the very start of the war. 

Would it have been practical to, before we left, insist on taking back all of the equipment we "gave" to the Afghan forces?  How would that have worked?

Besides, we already had a precedent set for leaving lots of US-made weapons with the mujahedin after they kicked the Russians out in the 80s.  Look at how well that worked out for us!      :pullhair:

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on October 26, 2022, 01:12:33 PM
^And they look like morons!

They do.  But it may not be entirely their fault.

I say this because I know that anyone in non-fiction publishing, whether it's books like me or magazines, we all know the issues of how fast a subject can sour and we usually have some contingency plans in place in case a topical book or article becomes stale.

For us we stick with what we internally call the A.U.T.H.O.R. frameworks, where A stands for "Accelerate the publishing process".  We're very cognoscente that a book on a topic based issue, like say, solutions for the 2018 data breaches, came out before the topic was stale or some of the takes were out of date.

We had one of our most high profile authors (who will remain nameless) who was a leader in the biomedical world whose book was ready to go to our printers when the pandemic hit.  We actually hit the breaks on it because it instantly invalidated a lot of his material and went right back to the writing phase.  That was an extreme example but we weren't about to release a book by a PhD, MD and one of the leaders in vaccine development in the world that was behind the times on a subject in which he was directly involved. 

Clearly, can't do that with a magazine, but that's why you always keep open as an editor pulling an article before it hits the printers.  As someone said, better to just cut it from the cover and TOC and remove the pages and have a short issue.  I know from our typesetter and Creative Design department we can do that in hours as long as the book isn't being printed. 

I'm not sure how their model works and how much lead time they go before their runs.  I do know our printers are slow because of the pandemic and spend more time printing box paper than books for our authors.  Maybe that was it, possibly they had to have their Nov-Dec issue submitted finalized to the printers in August.  We have to do a lot of early submissions too, much to the chagrin of some of our authors that have promo events planned and we can only get changes to the digital versions to say they've been on say, Good Morning America or Dr. Phil or somesuch that they might want to pop an "As Seen On" in their print cover or blurbs. 

Still makes them look bad.

Anyway, enough about my boring day job.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback