Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

its claimed to be an IR decoy.   ::)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Dammit Carl!

It's going into winter, so maybe it's like a mobile hobo burn can.

Sir Slash

That's what I thought too, IR Decoy. Or else Madd Maxx time.  :idiot2:  Defiantly time to go back on topic.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Wouldn't fire ATTRACT heat-seeking missiles?  ???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Crossroads

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 28, 2022, 10:05:49 AM
its claimed to be an IR decoy.   ::)
Just saw a post by a guy who knows how many of the older ATGM - with emphasis on Guided - models such as TOW have an IR sensor on the sight itself, and if the sight locks on wrong target then it means the shot will miss. So their magic lanter might actually work :o.

Edit Not sure that little bucket has the intensity to resemble a missile's flame oh it is an IR beacon on its tail. But I assume that indeed is the idea behind it. => So it won't work, definitively a Cope Bucket and not a working solution.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Dammit Carl!

"Well, boys, we're heading into combat; light the can. And you, Ivan, don't run through any water or you're getting out and re-lighting the damn thing."

GDS_Starfury

it just needs to be hotter then the engine not a rocket or a jet.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

bobarossa

Quote from: MengJiao on October 28, 2022, 09:56:30 AM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 28, 2022, 08:13:53 AM
Really want to know what that shit is all about.

Burning thing on a pole?  Infrared decoy maybe?
Maybe the tank has gas and they're trying to not stink up the neighborhood.  :)

Crossroads

Quote from: bobarossa on October 28, 2022, 12:08:14 PM

Maybe the tank has gas and they're trying to not stink up the neighborhood.  :)
Or, they heard you can brew a pot of tea in a Challenger  :cowboy:

So, had a chance to check things out on another forum. With TOW, the launcher tracks the IR beacon on the missile to guide the missile towards the target at crosshair of the sight. In theory, the Cope Lantern was to distract this mechanism.

There's been a lot of videos with Ukrainians killing tanks with their Stugna ATGM system. Stugna uses a laser guiding system, so in theory at least some of the Orc tanks would have a warning system for that, hence they target some way off behind the tank following its movement, then move the crosshair, and the laser, to hit the tank just before the hit.

So maybe the Cope Lantern is a dual purpose thing, it can emit smoke as well so you could see the lasers pointing at you.

Cope cage, cope mesh, cope lantern, see, we're good to go  :bd:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Gusington

Those lanterns have become all the rage on social media.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

I thought it was just one of those charcoal cylinders where you can get your charcoal up to a uniform temperature in five minutes or less and then dump it into your grill to cook?  An army travels on its stomach, ya know...

JasonPratt

In non-Soviet White Russia, tank crews need so much vodka to cope, that a special flatulence exhaust pipe must be installed for the air to be breathable!  :bd:

A little more seriously, the pipe looks hollow on the end, so maybe there's a dump valve for something to be ignited by the ad hoc charcoal cylinder on the end. So they've been given instructions: "If you detect infrared missile incoming, Comrade, then dump fuel out pipe onto burning pot, it will be hotter than engine and missile will miss nearby!"

This combines all apparent evidence with ignorance and/or insanity, so I feel like it has advantages as a theory.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 28, 2022, 08:58:03 PM
This combines all apparent evidence with ignorance and/or insanity, so I feel like it has advantages as a theory.  >:D

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the essence of this Grogheads forum in general, my friend!