Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

remember that drone boat that washed up on shore a few weeks ago....

THEY"RE BACK!!!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1586354919992279041
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

something of a statement by the Czech government.  <:-)

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

ah that sweet meltdown of propaganda.
its like watching a slow motion intervention.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1586395220476039168

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

JasonPratt

Dosvidanya, Makarov!  <:-)

Though my favorite part of the low-profile drone attack, was the guy jumping off the police boat -- right into the path of the drone by accident! (He definitely got ramped by the drone, too, though the motor probably didn't hurt him much.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

still waiting for confirmation.

Tripoli

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 30, 2022, 12:54:33 PM
still waiting for confirmation.

My guess is that it is unlikely the frigate was sunk. The drone boats allegedly have a 145 lb warhead (https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19893783/ukrainian-suicide-drone-beach-russian-navy-base/) which would explode at the waterline, as opposed to an magnetic influence detonation that occurs below the keel.  The Admiral Makarov is a 3620 ton frigate, that was close to base when attacked.  While such a hit could be a mission kill (if the hit was in an engineering space), the vessel should be able to withstand such a hit and make it back to port, with or without assistance.  Of course, the Russian navy has not shown particularly high damage control standards recently, so I could be wrong about this.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

FarAway Sooner

I find it kinda interesting that the Ukes seem to be targeting Russian air defence assets more often now than they were a few months ago.  Is this because the Ukrainians have been/or plan to start stepping up aerial attacks in Russian-held territory?  Or does it serve some other purpose I don't understand?

The basic equipment sketch of the BTG suggests a lot of organic anti-air assets for front-line units, but I have no idea how reflective the Russian ToE is of reality these days.  Nor do I have any idea whether Ukrainian attacks on anti-air assets have actually increased.  I just know it seems that way.

Are the Ukrainians trying to more aggressively target rear-area logistical hubs with air assaults?  Are they getting better air-based strike assets in place and trying to soften up Russian air defenses in advance of that?  Do they think something about the coming of winter will shift more emphasis to the air campaign than the ground campaign?  All of the above?  Or is this just a part of the typical "Hit them everywhere all at once and keep them off balanced" strategy that happens in most wars?

I know enough here to be dangerous...

bobarossa

Well those maps that are being posted have started listing UK air attacks so I would guess there is more activity by the air force than before.  Also those S-300's are being used to (poorly) target infrastructure instead of air assets so they may want to reduce the attacks on power grid and apartment buildings.

GDS_Starfury

QuoteI find it kinda interesting that the Ukes seem to be targeting Russian air defence assets more often now than they were a few months ago.

my guess is that its for their missiles to hit rear targets easier.  as fast as mlrs and homegrown ballistic missiles are systems in the s-300 to s-500 range can supposedly intercept them.  it also makes their use of drones safer.