Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Crossroads

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 11, 2022, 10:26:04 PM
Question for those folks on this board who know more about certain topics than I do:  Does it get cold enough in Ukraine that the Dnieper ever freezes over enough to get vehicles across?  Or even men?  And how much artillery does it take to shatter a frozen river?  Or do you just build a pontoon bridge on top of the ice?
I have a friend who traveled there quite a lot some ten years ago, asked this very same question a few weeks back. No, it does not properly freeze over, even though there's spells of cold then it thaws the next day, especially towards south where Kherson lays. Vehicles, definitively not. On foot, very much doubt but just maybe possible in certain areas for a quite limited time (or no, not really by foot either). 
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

FarAway Sooner

So how do engineers cross a semi-frozen river in the winter?  Too much ice for boats, you can't just build a pontoon bridge across a river in the face of enemy fire.  Maybe the answer is that you wait for the river to thaw and try to cross with boats. 

Or send across small teams on ice skates. 

Gusington

The woman in Star's pic above is definitely old enough to have lived through WWII in the same exact area. Hard to imagine.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

this is one of many reasons the Ukrainians arent in the mood to talk with russian scumbags.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1591477593202692096

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Skoop

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 12, 2022, 05:23:53 PM
this is one of many reasons the Ukrainians arent in the mood to talk with russian scumbags.

That's heavy, that's why the 40 billion aid package is money well spent.  I think the mid term showed people care about Ukraine far more than trumps base thought.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on November 12, 2022, 06:51:10 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 12, 2022, 05:23:53 PM

That's heavy, that's why the 40 billion aid package is money well spent.  I think the mid term showed people care about Ukraine far more than trumps base thought.

You think aid to Ukraine was a key issue in the midterm elections? lol.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

List shows no Ukraine on there unless that's under the foreign policy part.  But like I said money well spent in my book when you see a Ukrainian soldier running into the arms of his liberated grandmother.

Sir Slash

Would you feel the $40 Billion was well spent if a big chunk of it went into a crew of rich people's pockets instead of weapons to defend Ukraine? Or if a lot of those weapons ended-up in the hands of terrorists planning the next attack on NYC? Can anyone say for certain that they won't or haven't? I certainly hope we don't only have CNN & MSNBC looking into this.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

::)

but that isnt happening.  so whats your point?

al_infierno

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 12, 2022, 09:49:32 PM
Would you feel the $40 Billion was well spent if a big chunk of it went into a crew of rich people's pockets instead of weapons to defend Ukraine? Or if a lot of those weapons ended-up in the hands of terrorists planning the next attack on NYC? Can anyone say for certain that they won't or haven't? I certainly hope we don't only have CNN & MSNBC looking into this.

For the results we've been getting so far?  Yes, absolutely.  Hell, I bet every military budget in the world (including the US military) is getting siphoned by "rich people" (or probably just random assholes in the line of manufacturing/requisitioning/etc.)

Do you have any links to support this idea about Ukrainian arms falling into terrorist hands who are planning attacks on US soil?  Or did you pull that out of your ass to make a point?   :crazy2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

just looking at the amount of lost soviet equipment leads to an overwhelming yes to that question.  the vaunted russian military has been laid bare to its utter failure and inability to be taken seriously.  priceless.  <:-)

al_infierno

And considering exactly 0 American servicemembers have been killed or wounded in action, I'd call that a rate!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

FarAway Sooner

I think it's reasonable to say that we'd be fools if we thought Ukraine was exempt from the sorts of profiteering that went on in every country in the world in WW II (including the USA, Britain, Nazi Germany, Imperial Japan, and the Soviet Union).  I'd be tickled pink if we don't end up reading about anything shady happening in Ukraine or any of those weapons making it into the wrong hands. 

But I'm not counting on that as a precondition for the money in Ukraine to be well spent.  Even if turns out that the people in charge of Ukraine are a bunch of crazy-ass kleptocrats, I still like the notion of setting a precedent where one crazy-ass kleptocrat nation can't willfully decide to invade another sovereign, crazy-ass kleptocrat nation.

It's fair to acknowledge that 40% of Republicans considered Russia an ally in 2018.  It's also fair to admit that 11 (?) Republican Senators voted against supplying weapons to Ukraine in the most recent vote.  Of course, looking at that recent vote, it also means that 39 Republican Senators voted in favor of supplying weapons to Ukraine. 

We shouldn't confuse calls with trying to ensure that weapons get used correctly with not wanting to send any weapons at all.  If we'd been more successful trying to make sure weapons exports got into the right hands in Vietnam in the 1970s, or in Afghanistan in the 1980s, or in Afghanistan again in the 2010s, the world would be a safer place.

We're not really disagreeing here, so much as attributing bogus arguments to each other.